The future isn’t looking bright for my Q45...(possibly letting it go)

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
98_Q45

The future isn’t looking bright for my Q45...(possibly letting it go)

Postby 98_Q45 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:53 pm

So I’ve officially had the car for a year now. I’ve done a lot to it, and it’s a better ride than it was when I bought it.

However, it just seems like it’s continually haunted by the months or even years of neglect it had received in Phoenix Arizona where I purchased it. And I just don’t know how much more I can continue to keep being inconvenienced having to fix things.

For a few months, I was problem free except the persistent oil leak (that I was told) was from the crankshaft seal. Well...turns out, there was a crack in the front timing cover. So I paid $150 for that along with the crankshaft seal. Well the oil leak slowed, but there’s still 2 mystery drops that leak from the rear of the engine.

Not to mention, it keeps burning/smoking oil...no matter if I’m using 10w30 Mobil 1 or $2 dollar general oil. I’m going to do another bottle of bars valve seal leak repair to see if that helps.

I still don’t have a/c...and who knows if getting the compressor will be ALL I need to solve it. Of course, I can wait a few months now that it’s winter...but I’m in Florida and there is no true winter.

And right now I’m battling the steering clockspring which has rendered my airbag, horn and cruise control useless. Bought a $40 one, that one wasn’t working. Now looking at dealer price if I can’t figure how to remove it from the junkyard donor. And I’ve been running around for 3 weeks trying to get it fixed.

I’m just so mad and over everything right now! I understand and am willing to fix up an older car, but this one compared to my 97 Maxima is just ridiculous. I’m fixing stuff that I’ve never had to fix on the Maxina. I’m feeling like I just can’t keep doing this because it’s messing up my work projects and travel plans.

Only thing is, I don’t have the credit to finance a dealer vehicle...and I prefer a cash car. But, the Q is reliable enough now to travel due to all the stuff I’ve already fixed (battery, tires, brakes). I can’t guarantee I get a used car that won’t need work right away either.

What should I do!!!???

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 114K, 2017 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 95K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2017.5 Rogue (Inlaws)

Re: The future isn’t looking bright for my Q45...(possibly letting it go)

Postby Q451990 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:32 am

Sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don't. A comparably valued used cash car will have it's own list of issues unless you just get really lucky.

It all depends on your tolerance level, DIY skill level and time available, etc. By tolerance level, for example - can you accept the oil consumption and leaks? That's a small issue in terms of finances - whatever a quart of oil cost per week or month or whatever - but if it really bothers you then it's a bigger issue for that reason.

BadQ45t
Car: 11' Leaf (Wife's Car)
05' X-Terra
97' Q45t
84 300ZX (Original Owner)

Postby BadQ45t » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:14 pm

How many miles on this? Interesting to have these types of problems with this engine as these are things that normally would happen past 200k. I only have 120k on my 97' and have none of these issues.

The 97' Max was close to the same engine design albeit in a 3.5 V6 vs. 4.1V8. Sounds like this car might be worth giving up on unless you have good DIY skills.

98_Q45

Postby 98_Q45 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:21 pm

Hey, thanks for responses. 215,000 now. 180,000 something when I bought it last October (it does “run” well at least)

And LOL to the devil you don’t know quote. That’s so true because at least I (somewhat) know what’s wrong with this one. I don’t want to jump from 1 problem to the next. Most of my problems aren’t “breakdown” related, just the costs involved are what I’m getting tired of. I’ve already said...even though the last 2 cars I got were from Craigslist, Idk if I want to do it again.

Anyhow: so I got the clockspring fixed and all buttons functioning. $40 from eBay plus $110 labor. Not too bad. BUT the airbag light still blinks even after mechanic reset codes. Seems to be reading passenger seat airbag (which I recently bought a seat from an identical Q that was not airbag deployed was in mint condition from the junkyard and put it in). But now too, the turn signal won’t return to neutral when turning. I’m not going to bother going back to the mechanic as that’s already my 3rd time for the same part.

The other mystery issue in having is on cold startups (usually when weather is below 60): it starts fine, but after a couple of minutes the engine starts rocking back and forth, sometimes TC/ABS light blinks, and the cabin fills with a fuel smell. Sometimes it’ll shut off in the middle of driving if I don’t let it warm up enough, but that has only happened about 3 times in the past year. Changed fuel filter, didn’t solve. Premium/regular gas makes no difference. There’s also a noticeable drop in the fuel gauge.

The oil burn issue is a concern, but I DIY my valve cover gaskets earlier this year...so I’m fairly good at DIY, but I don’t always have the time and inclination to want to do it, but I do have the 2nd car as a backup if I need to.

Unfortunently I may not have a choice right now. It would be crazy to trade it in for a financed car and make payments, considering I don’t have a steady income right now either. So I may have to hold onto it until things change financially.

At least now it’s turning winter and I can hold off on the A/C compressor for another few months...

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”