The Free Bundle! It's FREE! And a Bundle!

PC, Game console and Online gaming discussion forum
MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

http://www.thefreebundle.com/

In the name of indie awareness, Don Cabrera has organized The Free Bundle. As with all the recent humble-style indie bundles that have surfaced lately, the desire is to help people discover indie games they might not have known about before. The big difference here is that it's not even pay-what-you want, it's outright free. I think it's a fantastic idea. There are a lot of indie games I'm happy to buy solely to support the devs, but I can see more "traditional" gamers avoiding what might be seen as more eccentric titles if they have to plunk down cash for them. By all means, I would love to see indie devs make money on their games, but I think the risk-free nature of being completely free has the potential to catch the attention of a much broader audience.

I particularly recommend grabbing Treasure Adventure Game, but ALL the titles included right now are worth checking out.

Go, gamers of NICO, and become aware of the indie greatness that you may (or may not) have been missing!

RCA

Puzzle platformers everywhere!

Screw you Braid!

There are a few really good indies out there and I think it's cool that they did this. It's too bad that the little time I do have to game, I'm not doing it with free indies; it's almost always multiplayer/coop AAA titles or AAA free world games. I think the indie market should stick to mobile platforms.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

RCA wrote:I think the indie market should stick to mobile platforms.
"Stick to"?! It STARTED on the PC. And I see no reason for developers to limit themselves to a single platform of ANY kind. As much of a PC gaming elitist as I can be, there's no denying that consoles have helped spread awareness, thanks to the likes of Braid and Super Meat Boy. Mobile is definitely a legitimate gaming outlet these days, but I'm just as eager for new, high-quality indie PC titles as I am for mobile ones.

RCA

I guess stick to was a bad choice of words. I mean they should concentrate on mobile.

When I get home from work and have 2 hours to myself to game with my i7 and GTX 680, I'm not loading up "They Bleed Pixels" or "Thomas Was Alone". I'm playing big boy games, things that are more immersive. BUT at the end of the day being an "Indie game" just means you don't have a publishing/distribution company paying the bills until the game is released. I don't know of any AAA indies that can push gaming hardware but the other 99% of indies are going to do much better on a mobile platform. And if you don't have powerful enough PC to run newer titles you're probably not a PC gamer which means you're not going to be playing these indies anyway. Also I understand that many of these games out now wouldn't work using mobile interfaces. Imagine Hotline Miami on an iPhone. Indie games are usually for the more casual gamer, people gaming on phones are casual gamers, and now-a-days smart phones can handle pretty much any indie you can throw at it.

Return to “Gaming”