The E-Brake Hell Saga...!!!

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
TexRodeo
Car: 2018 Nissan Altima SR Special Edition Sedan
82k miles

Well Now Here's an Update on the e-brake HELL saga with my J. OK, I went to purchase an e-brake Pedal assembly and the Release handle/Cable yesterday afternoon at the local salvage yard. OK here is what I found out from the man at the Salvage yard and from what I read in the Factory Shop Book (ref. BR-27 and BF-39).

It seems that the car is actually built around the e-brake pedal assembly for the most part. The man at the salvage yard also said that most of the Drivers Dash must be removed in order to get to the pedal assembly mounts, which of course I don’t have the tools nor the patience to do all of that. In Fact, it also seems that the upper 2 bolts of the 4-bolt mount are in fact mounted to a support beam. Far up under the dash while the lower two bolts are mounted to the floor-pan.

So That being said, since not only did my handle need replacement due to a somewhat stretched cable, but the thick spring that I had previously spoke of was out of position and pushed down to far, thereby not being able to push down the striker in order to release the mechanism. So, I had to do some creative rigging to get the e-brake to release by the handle, like normal. So, I took a Rubber, Tire Valve stem that was wrapped with a long piece of inner-tube at the bottom that was in a toolbox that I had, The Piece of inner-tube made it fairly thick at the bottom which is what I needed to fill the space. I then took a piece of cloth and electrical tape and taped up the metal end of the stem. I slid the fat end onto the end of that spring tab and wedged the taped end against the floor-pan. So essentially the space is filled enough so that the release cable can then engage the striker to push  down onto the end of the rubber stem thereby pushing the tab down to release the brake mechanism. Although the handle is black, instead of the medium brown color, it all works thus far and hopefully will get me through a state safety inspection. Well, Let’s Hope and Pray so in any case.

But there is the general idea of what is involved in replacing the e-brake pedal assembly on the and the release handle/cable on the Infiniti J30. A HUGE Pain in the a**…!!! :ohno: :facepalm:

TexRodeo
Car: 2018 Nissan Altima SR Special Edition Sedan
82k miles

WOOOO-HOOO,,,!!!! YES, She Survived another State Safety Inspection with my rigged-up Parking Brake Assembly.....LOL. I Just played it off or used an "Alternative Fact" with the young man at the local Jiffy-Lube that I had to just replace the Release Handle/Cable due to a somewhat stretched release Cable, which was partially true. I didn't dare say one word that The assembly is rigged-Up in order for it to release via the handle...LOL I guess in a way it helped the handle was black instead of the original medium brown, because it looks like I did something to it...LOL So it ended with a Happy ending....in any case...!!!! :dblthumb: :biggrin:

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”