The death of the ECU.. I think.

A home for 1983–1989 300ZX owners!
Thebadinvestment
Car: 1987 Nissan 300zx Non-turbo MT

Hey guys so I have a 1987 (12/86) Nissan 300zx Non-turbo MT with Nistune and recently it just broke down after driving 40min to a new house that I was moving into. The day before I just finished re-wiring the EFI harness and did a test run that night with no real issues besides the odd afrs and low power. Part of it could be the old fuel (about 5 months old). I only re-wired the CAS, CHTS, injectors, MAF, fuel temp, thermistor, and O2. Started up on the first try and like I said before just shut off on the way to the new place. Currently getting no ignition signal, looking at the Nistune gauges, have a code for the CHTS, and CAS. Tested everything yesterday and found no faults in the wiring.

Before re-wiring the EFI harness:

I would intermittently get an ignition signal primary code on the DTC list even though I have a new transistor, coil, and CAS. I have tested the system following the FSM off the forum and I haven't found any faults.

My fuel temperature sensor is new and the fuel temp gauge would say it is at 260F-300F I tried a quick splice with a new wire and the readout was the same.

I would also get inconsistent performance. The car would sputter sometimes and have really good acceleration, but as soon as I would take my foot off the accelerator it would run at a much lower power. The AFR's would be different as well and have a very wide spectrum of values.

I also had problems with the fuel pump circuit code. I tested the fuel pump circuit following the FSM and found no faults, it would pop up around 15 second intervals. It would also shut off the fuel pump which is a walbro 255lph, so I disconnected the wire that controlled the ground for the relay and made my own switch ground so the car would atleast run.

Just hesitant on buying a "new" ECU when I'm not sure it is the ECU causing the problems.

Thoughts?

Thebadinvestment
Car: 1987 Nissan 300zx Non-turbo MT

I did find this upon further inspection of the ECU. The corrosion was located underneath the chip that would control engine performance.

Return to “300ZX (Z31) Forum”