The Deal Is Off

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
proxim2020

For those interested, the talks between Renault/Nissan and GM has been called off. Apparently GM felt Nissan/Renault should pay a premium to GM, because GM wouldn't benefit from as much from the alliance much as the others. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2 called off talks because GM was too arrogant with their attitude of, "It's not fair. They are going to get more attention because of me. So they should pay me money. " Good Riddance I say.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business...s0312

BenDupre
Car: 2007 Versa SL w/CVT, 2006 Quest 3.5

Yahoo. A match made in heck I say.

Why would any foreign company be interesting in bailing out bankrupt pension burdoned overemployed bloated arrogant GM anyway?

Ben

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

BenDupre wrote:Yahoo. A match made in heck I say.

Why would any foreign company be interesting in bailing out bankrupt pension burdoned overemployed bloated arrogant GM anyway?

Ben
It is a two-way street. Sort of. When GM was in bed with Fuji (Subaru), Subaru got access to all of their alternative fuel research (mostly hydrogen cell stuff), which Subaru had sadly not been researching at all.

Unfortunately, GM nailed a Subaru model to the wall. The Baja was SUPPOSED to have the full-width removable partition system that is in the Avalanche. However, GM said as a stipulation to the hydrogen research, that the Avalanche got that technology exclusively, and Subaru had to design a smaller pass-through system for its Baja, which ultimately ended up being useless because it was only about as wide as a pair of skis.

There's a lot of deals and crossing over between manufacturers. Toyota is licensing their hybrid technology to anyone willing to pay, the Germans bought Chrysler (which saved Chrysler's bacon, let's be honest)... GM goes through more bed partners than a.. well, insert colorful metaphor here.

proxim2020

I'm glad the deal's off. I couldn't imagine a Nissan HHR

versabundus
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa

Ever Victorious wrote:It is a two-way street. Sort of. When GM was in bed with Fuji (Subaru), Subaru got access to all of their alternative fuel research (mostly hydrogen cell stuff), which Subaru had sadly not been researching at all.

Unfortunately, GM nailed a Subaru model to the wall. The Baja was SUPPOSED to have the full-width removable partition system that is in the Avalanche. However, GM said as a stipulation to the hydrogen research, that the Avalanche got that technology exclusively, and Subaru had to design a smaller pass-through system for its Baja, which ultimately ended up being useless because it was only about as wide as a pair of skis.

There's a lot of deals and crossing over between manufacturers. Toyota is licensing their hybrid technology to anyone willing to pay, the Germans bought Chrysler (which saved Chrysler's bacon, let's be honest)... GM goes through more bed partners than a.. well, insert colorful metaphor here.
Daimler did not save Chrysler. Chrysler was doing well on it's own under Bob Lutz. As a matter of fact, they had a rather large war chest which they used to stave off a take over by Kekorian and Iacocca. There is a lot of mis-information floating around. Say what you will about GM, but look at all the angles. They are not playing on a level field.

Return to “Versa General Chat”