The Black Keys

Musicians and music-related topics are all right here in the Music Room.
nametakennow
Car: '06 MINI Cooper S

Bluesy/Rock band from Ohio that I heard nearly a year ago now and over the past 3 months have become entranced by. Two dudes ought not be able to make this much noise.

I have most of their albums now I believe (except Thickfreakness), and they're effing amazing. There's hardly ever a song I genuinely want to skip, which is rare for me. I'm in the process of putting together a "best of" CD for my car and I'm seriously having issues cutting songs out even being short an album.

I just picked up Attack & Release (their latest, and a bit of a departure from the previous ones due to production by Danger Mouse) and... well turn it up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mRshih9jj4 (they did several Abbey Road recordings, all of which are pretty cool)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBPGm4Fb ... KXlgISd3iA (weird video with a moment of humor thrown in)

Admittedly, it's not the most technical music on earth, nor are the lyrics terribly revolutionary, but it all sounds bloody fantastic. I can't stand all this whiny crap out there. I don't mind sad lyrics, I actually rather like them, but screamy whiners and "how many notes can I play in one second" shredfests make my ears bleed.

They're often compared to The White Stripes, but, IMO, these guys are more generally listenable song-to-song. I particularly like the lyrical style - it reminds me of Hendrix.

edit: And now they're taking over the world... or something... http://www.blakroc.com/videos.html

pokatush

_______________________popular Jason Mraz singer
Modified by pokatush at 10:13 AM 3/7/2010

Ghost.Love
Car: 2000 Infiniti I30t

Love the black keys

and hop on Thickfreakness Great Great Album

the cover "Have Love Will Travel" (Richard Berry) and in all due respect to Mr. Berry they destroy it

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Hmmm.

I'm honestly sad to say I'm not particularly impressed. I love blues rock, so I'm always on the lookout for new music or bands in the genre. But all the youtube videos of this band I could find lack the defining characteristic that makes me love blues rock so much: soul. With good blues you can just sit back, shut out the world, and FEEL the music. But I don't feel anything when I listen to any of the Black Keys music I've found. The music sounds to distractingly messy, for one thing, like a garage band jam session turned into an album. And the gritty distortion feels out of place. And the drummer needs to learn his place (support the music, don't compete with it). The drummer actually sounds really good sometimes...but then the rest of the time he falls back into the bad habit of mashing on the drums rather than trying to make music with 'em.

But I'm pretty picky about music, so take that with a shaker full of salt. I prefer folkier, more melodic music.

Ghost.Love
Car: 2000 Infiniti I30t

minister

if you like folky stuff you should check out if you havent all ready The Tallest Man on Earth one man acoustic guitar real soulful great voice. he gets compared to Dylan alittle too much i think but is not that far off

Return to “The Music Room”