That one GTA V thread...

PC, Game console and Online gaming discussion forum
TurboSauce
Car: 2006 G35 coupe, 2018 Mazda CX-9

There is no GTA V thread on the first page of the Gaming side of the Forum?
RIDICULOUS!.

Just got my copy today, and at first i was EXTREMELY skeptical.
the graphics looked 2nd rate, and looked exactly like San andreas from xbox on to 360 :eek:
There were problems loading buildings, draw distance was bad and i was starting to get that oh my GOD what did I just spend my money on.

The first mission was also rather boring.

so after about 30 minutes I turned it off and got a power nap in.

Then I got into GTA...

Oh.
My.
Blob.

This game gets so much better, so much faster.
It's almost like a slow immersion into the game as you progress through the storyline.
I'm only at 12% and I'm loving it.

I'm not going to spoil anything, but I'd love to hear everyone's first impressions of the game.

RCA

TurboSauce wrote:There is no GTA V thread on the first page of the Gaming side of the Forum?
RIDICULOUS!.
It's because it's kind of dead in here. MOD stopped posting and since then not many people found it worth it to check in. I still check in but it's all tumble weeds.
TurboSauce wrote:the graphics looked 2nd rate, and looked exactly like San andreas from xbox on to 360 :eek:
Whoa, no way. Take a look at San Andreas videos. You need to make sure you install the new game correctly. Not to say the graphics in GTA V are perfect but this is the best looking console GTA to date.

Go to 1:30. BTW this was a PS2/Xbox/Xbox 360 title.
In this video, he is playing GTA:SA on a PC with a draw distance mod aka this is as good as it will look.

[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWqU7Qek9kQ[/youtube]

On both systems you need to do a mandatory 8GB install of the "data disk" or disk 1. You need to keep your "play disk" of disk 2 in the disk drive. When you install both, you will get nasty graphical errors. This is because the game requires such a large stream of data that just the HDD wouldn't be enough. You need saturate all possible Xbox I/O in order for the game to properly work. With the Xbox 360 you can install the data disk on the HDD and then the game disk on a USB flash drive and it will work fine that way (if you don't like disks spinning in your Xbox).

Not to say the graphics are perfect but this is the best looking console GTA to date.

As for impressions...

I don't own the game. I have seen a bunch of reviews and man are people loving this game. Based on the reviews the missions and scripting is the game's best asset. From what I read, the missions don't put you to sleep but keep you interested. Also the depth of the game seems to be a ton of fun instead of a grind. Playing tennis or bike riding to increase a characters stats are actually fun and don't feel grindy. Also the in game's stock market as two flavors, 1 that is affected by in game factors and another flavor that is more volatile that is affected by what people do online.

I have seen about 30mins of someone playing it and what annoyed me more than anything else, is the writing for Trevor (the friend of the main character Franklyn). I get it, you are low on the socio-economic ladder but say "homie" one more f*** time. His writing is just so vulgar/unintentional it bothers me, as if the game was written for 11 year olds. Other than that, from what I have seen, it looks good. Also the cover system looks good.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I'm really interested to hear more about the game. GTA4 was so terrible I'm not up for dropping money on V until I can know for sure if it's worth it.
RCA wrote: It's because it's kind of dead in here. MOD stopped posting and since then not many people found it worth it to check in. I still check in but it's all tumble weeds.
I actually have some "let's play" videos of semi-obscure indie games I've been wanting to post, but Cable One's upload speeds are unreliable and I can't get them uploaded to youtube (they're 30fps 1080p of course). I miss my old fiber connection...would have been a matter of minutes, not hours.

RCA

MinisterofDOOM wrote:I'm really interested to hear more about the game. GTA4 was so terrible I'm not up for dropping money on V until I can know for sure if it's worth it.
Same here. I am waiting for the media coverage/hype to blow over and then see what people think about the longevity of the game. Also the 2nd half of this game isn't even out yet, people are saying that the $60 they paid for the 1st half of the game is worth it. I am sure the longevity of the game would be greater when the multiplayer is released. From what I can tell from the multiplayer trailers, GTA online kind of looks like Playstation Home so I am a little nervous.
MinisterofDOOM wrote:I actually have some "let's play" videos of semi-obscure indie games I've been wanting to post, but Cable One's upload speeds are unreliable and I can't get them uploaded to youtube (they're 30fps 1080p of course). I miss my old fiber connection...would have been a matter of minutes, not hours.
You doing reviews, or just commentary, or just footage to with a text review?

You might be better off putting the files on a thumbstick and have someone else upload them. Maybe going to your local college/library?

Indie games are great for bang for your buck entertainment. This year's PAX Indie booth has some really amazing titles and I am looking forward to their releases.

TurboSauce

Well, I have a friend that completed the story on wednesday.
He's completely satisfied with his purchase.

Now let's get to the bottom line.
The game, is good,
the story is compelling,
and it MAKES me want to just sit here and continue playing regardless of the time.

Like I said, I wasn't feeling the opening of the game, but it QUICKLY makes up for it.
I'm about 20% done with the story and i'm honestly quite satisfied with the game

TurboSauce

and I meant that the opening scenes reminded me of playing san andreas with the loading issues.
Note.
This has never happened in game.

dasoupdude
Car: 2005 Z

This amount of detail in this game is nuts. Especially with the deserts, valleys, mountains etc. I feel like I'm playing Test Drive Unlimited minus the fact I can exit the vehicle and shoot someone in the face at any given moment. The physics on foot can get annoying sometimes. Instead of jumping OVER the wall or fence, the character will dive into it and hurt themselves..

TurboSauce

dasoupdude wrote: The physics on foot can get annoying sometimes. Instead of jumping OVER the wall or fence, the character will dive into it and hurt themselves..
+1 :facepalm:

alms24sebring
Car: '97 Nissan 240sx. First Nissan. First love. Sold.
'04 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV

I bought this game too but havent played it much. Ill say that I am impressed with how much there is to do. With the little gameplay Ive had, I have also found that I fall unexpectedly as a dead limp body. Cant wait to really get into this game with progress.

LocAL_anarchy
Car: 08 Mustang GT
95 Nissan 240sx
96 Ford Explorer Sport

With the disappointments in gaming the last year or so, I was very cynical and hesitant to purchase this. But I did anyway, and played a little bit here and there during the week. Didn't feel the overwhelming desire to play like I usually do with new games. Perhaps because I'm getting older, or that I'm more focused on my automotive projects, or I'm tired of being disappointed. Regardless, I gave it another try, and have been REALLY enjoying it. But I'm hoping the online aspect shines, otherwise it'll fall by the wayside for me once BF4 and Ghosts hit.

I'm also hoping the gaming section here picks back up. A plethora of new games coming. Not to mention new consoles. I'm keeping my fingers crossed about Destiny. Speaking of which...

http://www.examiner.com/article/destiny ... uto-online

RCA

LocAL_anarchy wrote:With the disappointments in gaming the last year or so
Which games were you playing?
  • Batman: Arkham City
    FTL (PC)
    Dishonored
    Mark of the Ninja (PC)
    Spelunky
    Far Cry 3
    Sid Meier's Civilization V: Brave New World (PC)
    Papers, Please (PC)
    Gunpoint (PC)
    Hotline Miami (PC, PS3)
    Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods (PC)
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
    Journey (PS3)
    BioShock Infinite
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown
    Tomb Raider
    Borderlands 2 and DLC - Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    Bastion (PC, 360)
    Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS3, 360)
    Europa Universalis IV (PC)
    The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series
    The Last of Us (PS3)
Honestly I have noticed the quality of games increasing (especially this year),and with new consoles on the rise many games new games will be limited less by the new hardware.
dasoupdude wrote:The physics on foot can get annoying sometimes. Instead of jumping OVER the wall or fence, the character will dive into it and hurt themselves..

LocAL_anarchy
Car: 08 Mustang GT
95 Nissan 240sx
96 Ford Explorer Sport

A pretty decent list, I must admit, although I'm not a PC gamer. But with the exception of Arkham City (which I absolutely love), I wasn't overly enthralled with some of those games, though admittedly I only played about half those titles. I think I'm another example of a gamer with impossibly high expectations for each new title that comes along, instead of just enjoying a really good game.

But I'm certainly enjoying this game. With the exception of the annoying banter that RCA alluded to, I'm liking the characters and script so far, especially Michael. Already had a few WTF moments at only 10% completion. I'm finding that I have to slow myself down from just blasting through the main missions, and just take in the atmosphere and depth of it all.

Return to “Gaming”