Test Drive 3.5 SV

General discussion area for the L33-chassis Altima.
mag318
Car: Nissan Rogue

This afternoon I took an Altima 3.5 SV for a drive to see how it compared to the 2.5 SL I drove days ago. To sum it up in one word, WOW. The 3.5 engine changes the whole character of the Altima and the fun factor is outstanding. Talk about a strong powerplant, couple with the CVT and you have one powerful, fast Altima. Supposedly with the redesigned CVT the 3.5 engine is suppose to attain 32 MPG on the highway which in itself is quite good. Driving through some twisting roads the paddle shifters come into play and are just plain fun. Now with gas at around $4 a gallon in western Illinois the mileage of the 2.5 is pretty inviting. I'm fairly certain I'm going to buy a new Altima sometime after the winter but now I have to decide what engine I want. I like the idea of the 3.5 V6 power, especially reserve power in passing situations, and the 6 is definately smoother than the 4. The 2.5 would probably be the most practical with todays gas prices and on a good day I'll get 30/31 highway MPG with my 2008 Rogue. But after driving the Altima with the 3.5 V6 I'm leaning toward that engine. Drive one and see what you think.

Honva
Car: 2012 Rogue SL AWD

I have been trying to avoid test driving one. :-)
I have no doubt the 3.5 V6 will be more quiet, smooth and responsive. I also think it is worth that $3000 more in price. However, my commute is mostly rush hour traffic. Seating behind the wheel waiting in traffic jam, the 3.5L engine feels like burning money as well as burning the ozone layer. For my use, the 3.5L would burn 450-500L more of gas every year. Couldn't get pass that myself. Avoiding the test drive would make sure I won't be tempted by the fun factor.

Keyan
Car: 2013 Altima 4D 3.5 SL

I have one now. I've only had the V6 Altimas, and this is the best one yet. You can tell that the CVT is different, it engine loafs at 1250 rpm at 55 mph, crazy, and the friction reduction means more power making it to the wheels when you let it rip. It's fast for a non-lux family sedan. The cabin is MUCH quieter than the previous model, and the seats, despite their ridiculous ads, really are a lot better. The suspension is further refined, there is less lateral body movement over bumps while still keeping good dynamics in the corners, they claim that the new rear suspension allows the rear wheels to turn slightly to keep it controlled in the corners along with the active understeer system, and I can tell that it's doing something as you feel in control all the time.

The center display is cool and gives you control over tons of the car's settings, such as when to unlock the doors (engine off/into P), light sensitivity for the headlights, delay for headlights turning off after the car is off, etc. Before these features were pretty much limited to only the tech package, now they are on all of them. Also the per tire pressure display is useful as the weather changes this time of year. The gauge cluster is vastly improved, with black bordered needles, pictures don't really do it justice. It looks like the same gauge cluster they have on the Infinti JX.

Return to “5th Generation Altima Sedan (2013-2018)”