Tension rod noise after install?

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
904Y33
Car: 1997 Infiniti Q45t

Just replaced my stock tension rods with ISR tension rods for the S14/Y33 after the stock bushings were blown tf out. After the replacement, I'm hearing somewhat of a knocking noise while braking at parking lot speeds, but only while moving forwards. I hear the noise when turning at low speeds too, with or without braking. Before installing, I made sure to adjust the tension rods to as close as possible to the length of the stock rods. As far as I'm aware, I've tightened all of the hardware properly and when I have the car in the air, I can't seem to find any play in the tension rod. Any ideas as to what could be casuing the knocking noise?

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

:welcome: to NICO! If it were me, I'd try to get it up on some sort of ramps, so that you can look for slop in the system while they're loaded under the weight of the vehicle. Hopefully someone who's actually done this on your series of Q will have a better answer for you.

Ludeaem
Car: 2000 Infiniti Q45 AE

If they're adjustable then its most likey the jam nuts. I had to put some locktight on them so they didn't loosen.

904Y33
Car: 1997 Infiniti Q45t

Q451990 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:40 am
:welcome: to NICO! If it were me, I'd try to get it up on some sort of ramps, so that you can look for slop in the system while they're loaded under the weight of the vehicle. Hopefully someone who's actually done this on your series of Q will have a better answer for you.
Thanks! Thankfully I work at a Volvo dealership and have access to lifts, I'm gonna get my car up on the alignment rack and see what I can do there. I've only ever messed with the tension rods with the wheels dangling in the air, hopefully I'll be able to see something different tomorrow

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”