Tempur-pedic mattress

Home project-related forums. Woodworking, home improvement, landscape, and cooking discussion forum. Yeah, car guys cook.
frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

I have a questions about both beds for their owners because no one can ever give me first hand or honest answers because it is usually a sales person I'm talking to.

Temper owners-1. Does or do you ever worry about sweat and fluids sinking into the memory foam mattress? I know theres a sheet and such, but does the mattress itself have a cover or anything to keep it from absorbing excrements?

2. Does the lack of bounciness ever bother you when you're getting it on, or does it help?

Sleep Number Owners-1. Have or are you concerned that when you're rough housing it with your kids or spouses that you'll break or pop the bed?

2. I prefer this bed for its adjustability to make me comfortable no matter what, but do you always use that perk quite often?

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

frapjap wrote:Sleep Number Owners-1. Have or are you concerned that when you're rough housing it with your kids or spouses that you'll break or pop the bed?

2. I prefer this bed for its adjustability to make me comfortable no matter what, but do you always use that perk quite often?
I have never been concerned about popping the mattress - it is very well built. If I recall correctly, there is a lifetime warranty on the air chamber? I use the adjustable feature a few times per year... mostly due to back pain. If I blow out my back, I set it firmer. Sometimes if I wake up too early and want to fall back asleep I'll set it to extra soft to make it super comfortable.

As to your question about soaking up "excrements" on the tempurpedic, you can buy a mattress cover specifically to block that sort of thing.

Heath

frapjap
'07 Subaru Legacy

Neat, I did visit the store today and they confirmed the lifetime warranty. That bed is every bit of awesome that I remember it. Had I known they existed before I bought my current mattress, it'd of been no contest.

Regarding the cover for a tempurpedic- I always had a concern that the material (if it isn't similar to cloth) used for the cover might hinder performance of the mattress.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

I've kicked back on their 8k bed set. Not too shabby.

They are one of my customers and they have multiple levels of their beds setup in their office like a show room.

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

frapjap wrote:
Sleep Number Owners-1. Have or are you concerned that when you're rough housing it with your kids or spouses that you'll break or pop the bed?

1 - my parents have had one for the past 12 years, and it has seen plenty of rough housing from little kids jumping on it and the like. The best is built amazing, and it is only as of recent that the side my dad sleeps on had developed a small leak, which was instantly taken care of by the company.

2 - the adjustibility is something that is great when you first get the bed, but once you find the right sweet spot, you don't want to change. Its just perfect night after night when you get the right level. I've never slept so good in my life.

frapjap
'07 Subaru Legacy

Awesome, 12 years and still prompt service? Thats the kind of testimonial I was looking for. Thanks for the experience.

james freund

EDITED BY Beancooker...

For God's sake, we have freaking matress spammers. We must be getting big.

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

frapjap wrote:I have a questions about both beds for their owners because no one can ever give me first hand or honest answers because it is usually a sales person I'm talking to.

Temper owners-1. Does or do you ever worry about sweat and fluids sinking into the memory foam mattress? I know there's a sheet and such, but does the mattress itself have a cover or anything to keep it from absorbing excrement's?

2. Does the lack of bounciness ever bother you when you're getting it on, or does it help?
Never had a problem with sweat or anything on the foam. It's a pretty rubbery foam when you remove the cover. It's always moist and humid here, and my wife keep our house warm. It's really a perfect environment for mold. We have never had a problem with anything like mold, or sweat stink from the bed.

As far as the lack of bounce... It is great for getting it on. The bounce of a spring bed will throw your rhythm off when you get going. Plus you can't bottom out a Tempur mattress, so she isn't as likely to have a sore tailbone.

dasoupdude
Car: 2005 Z

Yeah, that little known fact was always floating around in my head.

skydragoness
Car: 03' 350z Touring 6spd
92' 240sx 60k survivor :)

ishkabibble wrote:The Tempurpedic is really overpriced, so I built one for about $250 about 3 years ago. 8" of high density foam with 4" of memory foam on top of it. I love a soft bed, so it's great. One of the nicest features is that you can't feel the movement of the other person in the bed.
How did you do this and where did you get the materials? I would be worried about the foam being treated with chemicals or something. We need a new mattress badly, piece of crap Ikea mattress... argh.

ishkabibble
Car: 1992 NX2000 hardtop, 1993 NX2000 t-top, 1997 Infiniti I30t

I got a queen foam base at JCPenney for $150 using a 30% off coupon, and then bought a 4" memory foam topper from overstock.com for $90. I covered it with a cheapo mattress cover I got at target for $10-$15.

I'm sure that pretty much any memory foam mattress gives off chemicals. I don't care, as a regular mattress just does not compare to memory foam IMO.

We had to ditch our mattress and couch when we moved last month, and I make more money nowadays, so out of convenience we replaced the old mattress with Costco's $500 Novaform queen memory foam mattress. The Novaform is a bit firmer than the homemade one I built.

skydragoness

I see.Well I was just insinuating that the cost of the Tempurpedic perhaps means the materials are just better and with your previous post it made it sound like you went to Home Depot.

We're going to get a new mattress on Sunday. Yaaay. Bad part.. it's a King.. it's going to be so expensive (wasn't my idea to get a King ).

ishkabibble

The cost of Tempurpedic is due to the brand recognition and the patent on their foam density. Each memory foam mattress is a little different since they all use different density foam.

I think the King Novaform is like $700 or so at Costco.

ishkabibble

Oh yeah, I just remembered. They are clearing out their Sleep Number type beds. It's $440 for a king: http://www.costco.com/Browse/P...36702

I've never tried one, but thought you might want to look into it.

skydragoness

oooO!Thanks Ish, I'll notify the person buying.

BOOSTFOOL
Car: 92 240sx hatch

looking at new mattress so which is better for the price

dasoupdude
Car: 2005 Z

buying memory foam tops, you can find them at kohls.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

skydragoness wrote:We're going to get a new mattress on Sunday. Yaaay. Bad part.. it's a King.. it's going to be so expensive (wasn't my idea to get a King ).
King beds ROCK, especially if you're tall like me. Stupid queen is a bit short on foot space.

RickJameZ
Car: 1995 nissan 240sx se 5 speed (white)

THE BEST MATRESS I EVER OWNED I LOVE ALL 3000 OF IT CAL KING (EXTR WIDE ) =P

Return to “Around the House”