Temperature Gauge / Rear Bumper / Weather Stripping

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
louinsd

I am having temperature gauge issues. I am waiting on a new sending unit as the original had been removed in favor of an aftermarket gauge.

I tried connecting the fuel gauge wires to the temp gauge with nill results. The gauge is pegged on the cold side. Is this normal? In most of the pics that I have seen on here the temp gauge has been pegged on the hot side.

My truck has the L16 conversion. Do you guys think that the stock sending unit from it will work with the gauge in the 320?

I also found a rear bumper on Ebay. Would one of you mind taking a picture of the brackes that hold your rear bumper? The bumper that I have on mine had been manufactured by one of the previous owners.

I'm having a bear of a time finding inexpensive weather stripping for the door. Have any of you used weather sripping for other vehicles?

Thanks in advance!!!

louinsd

Well, I have replaced the temp sender and have fixed the gauge... Problem now is that it works backwards. When it is cold it reads over heating and when it is hot it reads cold.

Would one of you with a working temp gauge mind taking resistance readings off of the sender for me? I just would like to know if I have the wrong sender... I bought the sender for the L16... It may work opposite of the sender in the E1. I just need the resistance beween the electrical connector of the sender to the ground with the engine off. One reading when it is cold and one when the engine is at temperature.

Thanks in advance.

LilDat
Car: Datsun NL 320, Datsun U320 (the runchwagon) 1972 Datsun 510 wagon

I'm no expert with electrical but this sounds like a polarity problem with the gauge. Maybe Mike or Stephen can help on this one. I would try reversing the connections on the gauge, BUT DON'T DO THAT UNTIL THE REAL EXPERTS HERE CHIME IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:shock: I wouldn't want you to fry the gauge. I assume it has been converted to - ground.

louinsd

I'm pretty sure that the polarity is fine. The temp gauge works off of current passing through a resistance wire that heats up a strip of metal. The metal strip expands and deflects the needle dependant on the current passing through the resistance wire... Polarity should not matter in this case...

The gas gauge is polar sensitive though (different design).

I had to re-attach the needle to the strip of metal. It appears to opperate as it should.

Before you start your rig, does your gauge read hot?

Once you start it does the temp gauge slowly move to cold and then rise as it heats up?

mklotz70

Took a bit of digging.....had a hard time remembering the site...had to find it again.

Anyway....go to this page.....it's on page 6 of the newsletters from Feb '87.

According to the newsletter...the gauge does start off reading hot with the key off and with the key on, it moves toward cold to read the actual temp.

http://www.manxsr.com/datsun_all.htm

louinsd

Dang... you have the skinny on all the 320 info...

I finally got the temp gauge to work though it is completely jury rigged. I used a sensor for a 66 520 and created a resistor bridge to make things work right (though I won't know if it completely works until the truck overheats...)

If there is anyone out there that wants the details of what I did, I will do a schematic for you... I would put it up with this posting, but I am not sure that my gauge is not faulty and I found a way to compensate for it... I wouldn't want to lead anyone astray...

Thanks for all the help

Return to “Datsun 320”