Tell us about yourself thread.......

General discussion forum about all things Datsun! NOTE: If your thread is specific to a certain model, please make sure you post it in the proper forum.
Bandit240
Car: 1980 Datsun 720 King Cab

I figured we could do a thread to tell each other who we are and how we got into Datsuns.

Ill go frist....

My first true Datsun was a 1979 Datsn 620 King cab truck, i traded a almost dead sentra for it. It was rusty, only had 1/2/R and a bad slave cylinder, but ran great. Ive since took it town for parts and still have its motor in a 1976 Datsun 620 truck. After the 620 trucks i found a nice 1980 Datsun 210 wagon for all of $300. Its been over 1-1/2 years since we got it and its still going strong. It had 200k when we got it and just rolled over to 250k a few days ago. There is a rebuild in its near future. After getting it i found a nice non running 1976 Datsun 620 truck for $150. The cab had rust in the rockers but the floors and bed were soild as a rock. Its going to be made into a work truck over the summer. Just a few months ago i found a very nice 1978 620 truck that i had to have. Its only got 78k on the clock and no rust that ive found. Runs great and has made 2 trips from TN to SC. Im hoping to see either a 240Z or Roadster in my future.

The 1978 620 and 1980 210 are in my sig, and the other trucks can be seen at http://www.cardomain.com/id/bandit620

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

My dad had always worked for Nissan when I was a kid, so naturally I was familiar with Datsuns. Every car that my parents ever had (during my lifetime) was a Nissan or Datsun.

When I was 15, my parents offered to buy me a car if I could find one for under $1000. So I found an '81 210 in my neighborhood. It wasn't for sale at the time, but I figured it had to be less than $1000 and it was a Nissan, so I knew I'd have the most valuable source of info to fix it...my dad.

I knocked on the door, and asked to buy the 210. They only wanted $800 so I was good to go.

I drove that car until about a month before I graduated high school, when I bought a 200SX SE-R. The 210 got handed down to my brother. But in 2001, he bought a Sentra Spec V, so the 210 was back in the garage. My mom then transfered the title back to me, and gave me the car for good.

As of right now, the car still sits in my garage. I've had to rebuild the engine, and it currently does not run. However, the only thing wrong with it is a coolant leak (however, very bad leak). I plan on fixing it real soon, however I just got frustrated with it after working on it for so long (rebuilding it, etc, etc). Even though I'm now on my 3rd car, I refuse to let go of that first little car, unless ofcourse it goes into the hands of another enthusiast that will keep it running.

Bandit240
Car: 1980 Datsun 720 King Cab

Torry, you know once ive got the money im going to buy it from you. So hold on to it for me!

compression

I bought my first 1971 4-dr 510 in 1997, and have owned one ever since, I am currently on my 3rd, a 1973 2-door sedan. I have also owned two B13 Sentra SE-R's, an integra a few other things.My first 510 underwent a few L-series engine swaps before landing a KA24DE. It was my first real hybrid engine swap, so it wasnt the prettiest. But it ran very reliably throughout my college career. I had to sell it to move to Calofornia for a job. But I picked up a ratty 510 before I moved to california, but it was not up to the grid lock commuting, so traded it for an SE-R. A short time later I acquired my 3rd and most beloved 1972 510. I had plans for an SR20DET swap, so now that I had the car, I could get started.

So 2 years later, and I move up the west coast, I am now the proud owner of a built SR20DET powered 510, with many things that make it unique in the world of 510 engine swaps. Only a handful of other people can say that they did EVERYTHING themselves. I have not paid a person a dime for any work done.It has been running and driving for about a year and has been a blast. I can scare the sh*t out of myself very easily in the car, and it can out run just about anything on the street. I am constantly improving everything on the car, The only things that are stock is the steering box, the unibody, some interior pieces, and the exterior trim pieces.The car rarely goes more than a month before I have it up on jack stands and working on it to improve something or another.These are unique cars (68-73 510), and I feel lucky to have a nice one.

dattodude
Car: CA18DET Datsun 1200 B110 Sedan

Dattodude. Been into Dattos since I was 16.Run http://www.shoeys.com. Member of Sydney Datsun Club.Own 2 Datsun 1200 Sedans (B110)One is a high HP CA18DET powered 1200.

I believe I was the first Datsun 1200 CA18DET transplant in the world. Completed my first project in late 1993.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

You guys know me....

No Datsuns in the garage (yet), currently it's full with a 95 Q45t, a 93 240sx droptop, a 97 Pathfinder and a 95 G20t. All but the G are modified...

Looking for a Roadster at this point to restore. Don't want a rustbucket, but I also don't plan on spending much, so I'm being *very* selective. It's gotta have no rust, no body damage. Engine and interior work I can handle, but I don't want to do any bodywork.

Figuring if I find a 1600 it'll be lightly modded, if it's a 2000 I'll restore to stock.

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

when did you get a G???

hmmm Datsun...well...I've got an '85 200SX Turbo(not running )...it lacks the Datsun badges though...I remember riding around in my uncle's old Datsun pickup when I was kid however...

I'd love to have a two door Dime sometime....and a 610.

nsrZ32
Car: 90 300ZX TT, 78 280Z, 71 521 Pickup, 98 Sentra 2.0 SE, 02 Altima 3.5 SE, 01 Focus s2

I've always had a love for the Z car family since I was a little kid. I got my favorite, the z32, in 2000 and then purchased my s30 in September 2005. Much like anything that's good....you always want more. I look forward to building my Nissan/Datsun collection. Next datsun is going to be an old pickup I think.

Brianppp

I'm a 17 year-old punk kid from Southern California and received my Z car for free from a friend who no longer wanted it.

Fadebucket510
Car: Datsun 510

Where do I begin... I guess the most logical comment to make is that, I love my 1970 510!

My father was an avid enthusiast for these wonderful cars when I was growing up. He started with a roadster when he was in college, and then moved onto dimes. He had a wagon and a 4 door, both of which were real strong and real clean! He had a special place in his heart for these cars, and was forced to make a decision... When my parents had us kids, he had to get rid of the wagon, and get a mini-van, and a drunk driver totaled the 4 door, and "just like that" both of his babies were taken from him. This all happened when I was a young kid, and not a Sunday would go by, where he would sit in his chair and look through the classifieds, to see if anyone was selling a 510. He never did get one, until last Christmas...

I researched and found him a 510 that was not too rust ridden, and surprised him with it on Christmas morning, and watched the tears of joy as he saw his new car.

With all this being said, I spent the time to researched this car, and fell in love with it. I recently graduated college, and worked up the funds to buy one! I love it, and have plans to build mine, as well as my dad's so that we can have something to do together! There you go guys, that's my story in a nut shell.

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Fadebucket510 wrote:Where do I begin... I guess the most logical comment to make is that, I love my 1970 510!
Dude, that's so awesome that it nearly brings a tear to my eye...

You got pics?

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

BTW...I noticed this thread is pretty old, so an update on my car:

It runs now, and runs good. However, about 3 weeks ago I was driving it when the tranny went out on me...completely. Gears sound like a blender now.

But I'm going to SC this weekend to visit Bandit and pick up a tranny to get the 210 back running again. So all is well

Fadebucket510
Car: Datsun 510

Yeah I have pics on the "post datsun pics here" thread... Check em out...

afracer
Car: 92 240sx convertible, 72 Datsun, 69 Buick

I posted this in another forum, figured I'd just copy and paste it into here:

I have been a Datsun man my whole life. I grew up with my dad telling me stories about how he used to race his 510, 1200, and Roadster and just blow people away...while at the same time getting good gas mileage and being a blast to drive. When I was born my parents drove a Datsun STATION WAGON and my dad owned two 1970 1600 Roadsters which we used to play in all the time. When I was 4 we moved to Japan and took our Roadster with us. My dad bought a 1978 Sunny GX Coupe complete with dual SU's and all. I remember us driving back from Mt. Fuji on the expressway at speeds well over 100mph in that car (cause at the time I was scared he was going so fast!). Our family became friends with a Mr. Suzuki through a foreign exchange program, he was a very wealthy Japanese man and president of a sports car club out there, also a Datsun fanatic very much into racing/restoring. When we left Japan, we left our Roadster with him to be repainted/restored, which he did meticulously, but we ended up selling it to him cause my parents couldn't afford to ship it back at the time for some reason. Besides, my dad could still have fun in the near-new 280ZX (S-130) he bought while over there and shipped back with us. LOTS of memories associated with the 280ZX. All of my brothers and myself pretty much learned to drive stick in that car, it was my dad's daily driver from ~1984 to 1998 when we sold it to one of our best friends, who now is selling it BACK to my brother this summer! Anyways, in high school (1995) my dad got the chance to buy another 1200 (B110), so that became his new 'toy' and daily driver. We helped him tear it down, rebuild the engine, and turn it into a pretty quick and fun little car...I learned nearly all my mechanical/car stuff working on these cars. He bought another TWO 1200's as parts donors which I was given one to fix up and drive my senior year. I drove one of them well into college, and restored the other one in the mean time. Shortly after junking the first one and finishing the second one, I wrecked the newly restored one. Instead of moving on, I quickly found another one and trasferred all my 'goodies' to the rusted out one I got for $200. I drove, broke, fixed, got stranded, and loved/hated that car all the way through college, and bought a Primo condition one for my graduation present, thus sellin the rust bucket for $400 more than I bought it for. I still have the one I bought at graduation, and am getting ready to restore it all the way maybe next year. Currently it's just about the fastest car in town and my pride and joy (NOT the 240SX!). Anyways, back to the story, my brother started telling me about Silvia's back in high school and how you could get a well balanced RWD turbo car nearly comparable to the Skyline for half the price! I kept that in mind until after college when my brother moved back to Japan and bought a 180SX and told me about how much of a well balanced car it was. When I moved to Japan a year later with my Datsun, I had plans to install an SR20 out of a 180SX into my 1200. So I found a guy with a 180SX that had been trashed on the outside, but had LOW miles on it and otherwise was perfect. I bought it for $1000 and it became my daily driver because I loved driving it so much. I finally decided I'd find another one to 'drive' so I could do the engine swap with the current one and picked up a perfect red 180SX for $1200. I fixed that one up REALLY good and did lots of touge/mountain racing with it up in Okutama and the surrounding area while I did the engine swap on the Datsun. I eventually got into a bad wreck in the 180SX and pulled all my goodies off of it. Besides, I finished my Datsun and had to move anyway, so when I came back to the US I now had all these S13 parts, a love for convertibles, and no daily driver. Naturally I went on the lookout for a nice convertible which I found in Houston for $3000 with nothing wrong with it. Towed it home, threw my parts on, and swapped the engine all within 5 months and I LOVE it. It's taken some of the love away from my Datsun unfortunately, but I'll get to that car soon enough. Nothing has come close to cruising with the big Texas sky overhead, tunes blaring, and blow off valve and exhaust singing away in sweet melody. I love Nissans because they are VERY interchangeable, designed really really well, and I've been with them my whole life.

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Hey afracer...NICE intro man. You got any pics of any of those cars? Like maybe your 1200?

afracer
Car: 92 240sx convertible, 72 Datsun, 69 Buick

I'll give it a shot, I'm not at home right now but will be next week so I don't have access to my normal collection. Here goes:

http://datsun1200.com/modules/...ull=1

Hope it works, enjoy if it does!

WyreTheWolf
Car: 1970 Datsun 240Z HLS30-04661

Hello all!

My name is Justin...

Bought a 1970 Datsun 240Z...

It has all the usual problems from rust, to the faulty electrical. I have owned a 1978 510 (in a horrible shade of green), and a 1983 280ZX...

I think I might have bit off more than I can chew! LOL

I cut out the passenger side frame rail... and welded in one that was not cut in half because of battery leakage. Beat the rear drums off with a hammer... pulled all the brake lines, and fuel lines... Started rebuilding the L24 engine...

This seems like a LOT of work.... But in the next few years I hope to have it in the same shape as her sister car:

This car has the exact same options, wheels, and color.

I know that the 70 model is getting harder and harder to find ... but, I am seriously thinking that I should replace the stock rearend with the R200 from a 280ZX (get CV shafts instead of U-Joints, and rear disk brakes).

Anyway, I am gald to meet everyone here ... and maybe I can be a bit of help from time to time.

nsrZ32
Car: 90 300ZX TT, 78 280Z, 71 521 Pickup, 98 Sentra 2.0 SE, 02 Altima 3.5 SE, 01 Focus s2

Welcome to NICO! Put up some pictures of your project. We'd like to see what you have ahead of you

BACARDI_DWB

1970 datsun 510right now its pretty much a shell with wheelshas a stout L20b in there right now but that is getting replaced with a ca18DET to be pushed by a GT3076R-WG turbo. Fully built engine in the works along with about 400crank hp that would be a prospective 320hp at the wheels. full supporting mods soon to come. coilovers all around and a 6 point cage and 5 point harnesses. its just the begining of the project.

right now i have a daily driver 320hp 415lbs of tq dodge SRT-4 that does 12.5@111mph with a bad clutch. with clutch replaced prospective times are about low 12's and with some stickier tires that would put me touching the 11's but i am not putting any more money besides basic maintenance on the SRT. tired of spinning the tires in 3rd gear on the Freeway cause i can't get traction due to FWD

280zx83
Car: 1983 280zx

I felt in love with 280 after I saw it protential after cruising down the freeway around my town when I witness it left an M3 behind. then I was in search for 280zx. I finally found one about 2hr away from home. but it a 83 non turbo. From this stage, what can I do, to do something like the 280 I saw disappearing over the horizon? any tipper?

Mr1der

swap a turbo motor in?

I think Nissan Motorsports makes a hotter cam for the L28E.

thankfully, the motors have had more than 30 years to develop aftermarket parts for them.

79`280ZX
Car: -1981 Datsun 280ZX 2+2 - 1968 Datsun Cedric PL130

well. I am 21 years old and i`m from a small town called Harstad in Norway.My father had all kinds of Datsun`s when i was younger so i allways had the interest for the Datsun cars.Right now I have my 1979 Datsun 280ZXT 2+2.it was originaly my fathers friend`s car but i bought it when I was 18.it`s 100% stock except the Engine.Installed a Garrett T3 turbocharger and a HKS intercooler. did some other mods as well.did a dyno run on it. it showed 369whp.

1979 280ZX 2+2 and my fathers 1975 260Z 2+2.

rx7srlife
Car: 1983 Datsun 280zx 2+2

Im a Auto Tech/Auto Body/Welding/Sheetmetal Fabrication College student who is broke as a joke and an absolute gearhead. I attend Northern Maine Technical College. My first love is Mazda Rx7s. I personally own two of them an 86 and a 91. But I recently aquired an 83 datsun 280zx 2+2 in near mint condition or so I thought and I still love it Like one of my Rx7s. Come to find out It needs alot of sheetmetal reworked and replaced. But that is all. Everything else is Showroom Condition seriously. I have started to rebuild her. Its actually a good thing I saved her or she would have been a Pancake by now due to being donated to the college I attend. Here is a few pictures of her before I started gutting and replacing both floorpans and trunkpan, both front fenders, drivers side quarter panel and rocker panel.I am gonna top her off with a full MSA Style 2 Body Kit.

Spraguepsycho1
Car: '79, '82 Datsun 280 ZX, '80 280ZX 2+2 parts car.

New to the site here. I am a wildland firefighter, and I contract an engine with the Forest Service here in Oregon. When working I get sent to different states all over the country if needed. I took some auto mechanics classes back in the 80's/early 90's, and used to do side work on cars on weekends to supplement my income (mostly tune ups/ brakes etc.). My wife had a 1975 Datsun pu when we got married (back in '86), it was a 2 wheel drive with a 3" body lift and big tires. We traded that off and have owned mostly Fords since then. I recently came across a couple Z's that I felt were priced right, so I'm working on fixing one up for the wife to drive, and another one for my son to keep once he gets his drivers liscence (sometime around late Aug this year). My personal favorites will always be the classic Mustangs, I have a '65 coupe that I'm getting ready to rebuild bumper to bumper. I like the looks of some of the newer cars that are out now, but just can't talk myself into paying $30,000+ for something I can't work on without connecting a computer. I also like seeing the looks on peoples faces when their high dollar sports cars get blown away by what looks like an old rust bucket.

160Z
Car: Datsun B210

Hi, I'm Brent. I'm not sure what I am career wise - been a motor mechanic, a university lecturer, a IT administrator, and now I produce computer based course material from home. Got my first car/Datsan in 1988, a 160U SSS coupe (I think its called a 610 in the US), got it from a panel beater - does the phrase "recently sprayed over rust bubbles" spring too mind? My next car was my first girlfriend a 160Z or a B210 - she got me to spent all my money on her and then she broke my heart by dropping a valve but I still love her. She had a L20B motor with twin dellorto sidedraufts, a S280 cam, a ported head and plenty of vooma! Now I want to make her feel young again be swapping in a SR20 turbo motor. I love a SR20VET but I will settle for a SR20VE head married to a SR20DET block and a S15 gearbox. Anyone know where I can get something like that AND get it into South Africa?

Oh, yes, I'm from Cape Town, South Africa.

blitz23
Car: 1985 S12 Silvia/200sx CA18ET

Hi guys,

I like to introduce myself. My name is Pat, on most car forums I'm a member, I'm known as blitz (or blitz23). I'm kinda a freelancer, since I graduated from college. mainly work in construction business, relief worker, stock investigator for a local investor, house renovator and flipper, web developer, and some paperwork related jobs. I will do any job that land on my lap basically.

I own a 1985 datsun 200sx turbo (S12 silvia RS), forgotten middle child from nissan. this is from the era when nissan start to abandon datsun name and uses nissan name. It is also called Silvia ZX, 180ZX, gazelle, and sakura. I came across to this car looking for AE86 that's not a rust bucket or over priced, and I found this little square hatchback turbo.

I mainly involved in local autocrosses, with no plan for bigger stuffs unless my economic situation improve significantly XD. Plan for the car including FMIC, bigger turbo, new bushings all around (the old one are trashed), bigger sway bar, struts braces, racing seat and 4 point harness, turbo back, sport spring and shocks. Most of the time I rely on local tuner because I lack of the tools, space, and knowledge to work on it. I'm affraid to take it apart and not be able to put it back together...lol...although it has improved significantly since I bought some essentials tools like spanner and sockets sets needed to work on any given car. I did not own any set before I own this car... not even my dad...

Mr1der

sweet....another S12 owner!

BOOMSHAKALAKA

Pics of said S12!

I want one so bad...either a notchback or hatchback. Doesn't matter as they both look good to me. I'm done looking for the turbo models though...wayyyy too hard to find around here. I'm focusing on finding one from 87-88.

As for me, I don't own any Datsuns...yet of course. I've been into Nissans since I was a little kid. When I lived in New York, there was a guy on my block who owned a two-tone 240sx coupe. I just loved how it looked. Also, there was another guy on that very same block who owned 2 S12s. A notch and a hatch! He didn't live there too long though. I just loved how those things looked. I've also been a long time fan of the Z-cars as well. I had two toy Z32 cars and the commercial where GI Joe steals Barbie from Ken in the red Z32 is one of my favorite commercials to this very day. I also remember seeing a gorgeous black 240Z on a flatbed one time. It was so sleek looking. I could go on and on about what got me into Nissans but I'm sure you get the point by now. On a side note though, there was a Chinese restaurant a block away that used a Pulsar NX coupe and an AE86 coupe for deliveries. Seeing those around all the time got me hooked on them also. I just thought they were neat little cars.

I want to someday own an 810 and either a 240Z or 280Z. I already have a vision for how they will look in the end...along with the other Nissans I want to own.

blitz23
Car: 1985 S12 Silvia/200sx CA18ET

BOOMSHAKALAKA

Nice! You guys have a local S12 club up there?

Return to “Datsun Chat”