Tech package: Headlight flicker when vehicle brakes itself

Discussion forum for the Infiniti JX35 / Infiniti QX60 - This 7-seat premium crossover dominates the class.
Harlenm

Whenever any of the nanny features activate, DCA, LDP, etc, there is a noticeable flicker of the hid headlights. Don't know if the fog lights are affected or not.

This has me seriously concerned, as there must be a drop in voltage to the ballasts to get this to happen, and what kind of damage is that voltage drop doing.

Only had the vehicle for a little over a week, and put over 1700 miles on it already.

Will be contacting dealer Monday, but I wanted to see if anyone else has come across this problem or if it affects other people and if a solution was found.

I have a feeling my car is going to be at the dealer for a while trying to figure this out.

jdsaengine
Car: 2019 Audi A7
2017 Corvette Vert
2014 QX60

we just got a 2014 about 3 weeks ago and quickly put 2200 mi on it with a trip. Never saw any headlight flicker when auto braking on cruise or in traffic and it was doing the auto brake a lot when we were in a construction zone backup following along at 5mi an hour on the guys bumper in front of me.

Harlenm

Going to dealer next Monday to have them look at it. I really hope they can figure it out, or if they can't Infiniti is a good manufacturer to deal with when there is a problem that can't be fixed.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

This is a very interesting concern.

It is unlikely that a voltage drop is causing the flicker because the headlight ballasts stabilize and step up the voltage.
Realistically the lights are not connected to those systems.

If there was one item I would suspect it might be the headlight bulbs themselves. If you bang (closed fist, not hard but hard enough to vibrate the insides) on the top of the light does the light flicker?

If it is something that happens on a regular basis the dealer should be able to figure this out.
I am very interested in the issue, please post what happens. :)

Harlenm

I went to put cbi bulbs in today to see if that fixed problem, but I dropped one and its stuck in the headlight housing and I can't reach it. After i get it out and installed I'll test it again.

Harlenm

SteveTheTech wrote:This is a very interesting concern.

It is unlikely that a voltage drop is causing the flicker because the headlight ballasts stabilize and step up the voltage.
Realistically the lights are not connected to those systems.

If there was one item I would suspect it might be the headlight bulbs themselves. If you bang (closed fist, not hard but hard enough to vibrate the insides) on the top of the light does the light flicker?

If it is something that happens on a regular basis the dealer should be able to figure this out.
I am very interested in the issue, please post what happens. :)

CBI bulbs have fixed the problem. Haven't seen any light flicker since changing the bulbs. Very strange problem.

Return to “Infiniti JX35 / QX60 Forum”