Teach me

Discuss topics related to the VQ series engine.
SR24DET
Car: RMS13

I notice that the VQ35 motor comes in almost all of the newer nissans. Now if you look up the differences in the HP rating between all the cars there are big differences.

350Z - 280-310hpMaxima - 250-275hpPathfinder - 240hp

Now im just wondering if its just in the ECU, or if its the internals. I know I heard that the Z has the best intake manifold. Does that make that big of a difference? What about the drive by wire. I wouldnt think that that would add HP but I know that the Z is drive by wire and the pathfinder is cable throttle. Do these cars have different pistons for different compression? Do they have different cams? Are the Valves a different size? These are just some things im wondering.

Im gona get a maxima or a pathfinder VQ and when I put it in my 240 i want the Z stock HP... for now. Im not asking about how to do the swap, i figured that out. I just wana know what im gona need to swap to make lets say the maxima the same HP as a Z. Stock vs. stock

Thanks

ZOMG.SR20
Car: 1990 s13

my guess is intake ECU fuel and head design those are what makes thedifferences in those models i knew of a kid that swapped ou his Maxima Heads for 350z heads and he compared them the 350z is more free flowing and bigger

StandardProspect
Car: '93 240sx '98 Q45

i have a feeling that the vq out of a maxima and a vq out of a z are going to be completely different.

the maxima is front wheel driveand the z is obviously rear wheel drive

i dont think you will be able to use a vq from a maxima in your 240

i could be wrong, just me if i am

SR24DET

^ lol, i did what you told me to do. You are right as far as the blocks are different, but you can use them. You just cant use the same motor mounts as the RWD ones. It has been done before, just not commin.

So its not just the cams or valves, its the actual fabraction of the heads. The heads are bigger and have bigger passage ways to create better flow? Would you also assume that the all the internals of the head would be different? What about the block? I know the actual block itself is different, but i dont think the bore is different. I know the stroke is the same. So that leaves compression, and strength of the internals.

blacksrjdm
Car: 89 240sx, 99 CBR900RR.

Heads are different, valves are probably different, I know the intake mani's are different. Did a little searching for ya.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VQ_engine

Also, the drivetrain differences could be making some of the hp difference. Being that a pathfinder is 4wd, and the murano is awd, the altima and maximas are fwd. I'm sure that the ECM's are tuned differently etc...

The part #'s are different from car to car.

SR24DET

blacksrjdm wrote:Heads are different, valves are probably different, I know the intake mani's are different. Did a little searching for ya.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VQ_engine

Also, the drivetrain differences could be making some of the hp difference. Being that a pathfinder is 4wd, and the murano is awd, the altima and maximas are fwd. I'm sure that the ECM's are tuned differently etc...

The part #'s are different from car to car.
Yea, I read that wikipedia page already. Thanks for the info though. Humm... I was thinking that heads were the same it was just the internals that were different. Well, 50hp is a big difference. But i should be happy with a half breed VQ. If its half maxima and half Z. I can build the head later. It would probly be more cost effective to build the maxima head then swap to the Z head.

blacksrjdm
Car: 89 240sx, 99 CBR900RR.

I know nissan part #'s. and the heads are different per part # and application.

VQ Max heads;11090-ea20011040-ea200

VQ 350Z heads;11090-cd70011040-cd700

carmo
Car: 92 Accord, 90 Civic, 89 240sx

zerothread?id=351373

This is my VQ swapped s13 build thread. I'm curious to know how you intend on installation. You may be about to use a company that I would highly recommend against. Well, for certain things anyway.

SR24DET

carmo wrote:zerothread?id=351373

This is my VQ swapped s13 build thread. I'm curious to know how you intend on installation. You may be about to use a company that I would highly recommend against. Well, for certain things anyway.
Ive glanced at your build, but I havent gotten a chance to sit down and look through it all.

As far as my build will go. I Just got my new 240 shipped up here (to WI) from FL. It is rust free, but ugly! LOL. I wanted to use a Z engine but those go for 3K and to me thats just a rediculas price. So i plan to use a VQ from a 03 maxima. I will use a 04 Z tranny. Z oil pan, Z flywheel and clutch, Z starter. Modify the Z tranny shifter linkage to be shorter to fit. The maxima has a different mounting location then the Z so my motor mounts will be different then normal. I was gonna take it to a shop to have a custom drive shaft made. My friend and I are gona make my headers.

That will get it in, but to make it work, that took alot of research. I was gona use megasquirt but that wont work with the VVTC or whatever the variable valve thing is called. So that was out of the question. Then I was gona use the Stock ECU. But mine is gona be a push bottom start so i dont plan to use the Key. Also i didnt want to have to deal with NATS in the ECU, so that wasnt an option either. Then i was gona use a good EMS, but i really dont wana drop 2k on a AEM standalone. So i just found out about Jim Wolf Technologies. I called them and told them what im doing. I asked them if they can reflash the stock ECU to run without NATS and all the extras. I just wanted the bare minimum, plus the VVTC. They told me to get a 96 maxima ECU, and that has no NATS, and they will reflash it to the bare minimum, but make it run for a 3.5L VQ motor instead of the 3.0L VQ motor. They said they can also give it VVTC. They already gave me a wiring diagram on how to wire it up any any car. All that for $600. I dont think thats to bad for a plug and play

carmo

Sounds like you pretty much got it. Let me know if you got any questions I may be able to help with. Good luck

SR24DET

Thanks, will do

When im all ready I will post my build, but it wont be for a month or 2. I going to collect the parts this next 2 months, but I am doing more then that. I am going to take everything apart and stick weld the car and put a cage in it. I am also going to paint the subframe. Also I.... theres just to much. LOL When im closer to done I will post my pics so its not such a slow build. But if i have some questions, Ill ask ya.

Thanks man.

carmo

This may be a bunch of BS, but there is a guy at work who knows a guy that can make custom exhaust manifolds. If this is true, I'm gonna get him to make me a driver side manifold to clear the sector shaft (power steering input shaft?) and stub out for the Y-pipe. The factory exhaust manifold will work for the passenger side, so I'm using some cheap a$$ e-bay header (that was supposedly for this swap, whatever) for the passenger side. The driver side one won't work. Anywho, I may be able to have him replicate that one manifold for you. The only thing is, your motor may sit a little different in your car, and this could lead to fitment issues. Just throwing it out there...... Oh, usually when people stitch weld chassis, they have it welded to a frame jig to keep everything square. Also, you gotta move all over the place. You can't just find a seam and start rolling with it. I only say this because you said "stick weld the car" and I wasn't sure if you knew how labor intensive that particular job is (and I'm not sure if "stick" welding is the method you are looking fore, may MIG or TIG). Some people just run around the car, while it's on the wheels, and use body rivets between all the factory spot welds. This save you from having to remove all the body adhesive. I'm an amateur though so you may know better than me. If so, please correct me. Good luck and can't wait for pics.

SR24DET

carmo wrote:This may be a bunch of BS, but there is a guy at work who knows a guy that can make custom exhaust manifolds. If this is true, I'm gonna get him to make me a driver side manifold to clear the sector shaft (power steering input shaft?) and stub out for the Y-pipe. The factory exhaust manifold will work for the passenger side, so I'm using some cheap a$$ e-bay header (that was supposedly for this swap, whatever) for the passenger side. The driver side one won't work. Anywho, I may be able to have him replicate that one manifold for you. The only thing is, your motor may sit a little different in your car, and this could lead to fitment issues. Just throwing it out there...... Oh, usually when people stitch weld chassis, they have it welded to a frame jig to keep everything square. Also, you gotta move all over the place. You can't just find a seam and start rolling with it. I only say this because you said "stick weld the car" and I wasn't sure if you knew how labor intensive that particular job is (and I'm not sure if "stick" welding is the method you are looking fore, may MIG or TIG). Some people just run around the car, while it's on the wheels, and use body rivets between all the factory spot welds. This save you from having to remove all the body adhesive. I'm an amateur though so you may know better than me. If so, please correct me. Good luck and can't wait for pics.
Ill think about that manifold idea. My friend said that we might make our own. And the stick weld was an ops on my half. I ment stich weld. My buddy has done it b4 to his car, and now were gona do it to mine.

irax
Car: VQ35DER Powered S14.3

SR24DET wrote:They already gave me a wiring diagram on how to wire it up any any car.
care to share the diagram?

SR24DET

When post my build this winter i am going to post everything.

From you discription i am interested in seeing pics of you car.

michaelmontuori
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx SR

looking forward to it

SR24DET

Im getting more and more excited as the days go on. I wana start this but i cant start this swap on my coupe, untill i fix my hatch. Hopefully any day now. ahhhhh

wrxratd
Car: 1990 240sx hatch, 2002 WRX

SR24DET wrote:Im getting more and more excited as the days go on. I wana start this but i cant start this swap on my coupe, untill i fix my hatch. Hopefully any day now. ahhhhh
Bump for updates on this build! And also the availability of that wiring. I was thinking of Megasquirt for the same reason as you, but wanted vtc (or whatever the crap it's called). This is an interesting solution, please let us know!!!!

PhillyDaKid-S13
Car: 1990 Nissan 240sx XE coupe, sold...(sniff)....1991 240sx fastback project, YEZZIR!!!

<**>Phillydakid used phoenix down to bring thread back from the dead!!<**>

updates? Oh, and Id REALLY like to have that wiring diagram you got from JWT if you still have it....thanks

GBean
Car: 1971 Datsun 510 2dr
Prepping for SR swap.

Yeah wiring diagram would be arseome.

Return to “VQ30DE / VQ35DE / VQ35HR Forum”