tbi to carb conversion

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
civichb58
Car: '88 Hardbody

I have a 88 hardbody with a z24 throttle body injection set-up and was wondering if anyone knew how to convert to a carburator set up cause I just got a free weber from a friend

NISTECH

First; Why would you do this? You fuel economy will go into the toilet. But if you insist on doing this you need to determine what type of carberator it is. Is it a mixture controled carb. Meaning it has a computer controlled main jet. This would require a ECM from that model truck the carb was intended for. Is it a conventional carb [no computer controls at all] Then you would have issues with the remaining fuel control components like O2. If you removed the original throttle body you lose the Airflow meter since it is incorperated into the throttle body. Now the ECM is seriously lost. This will be quite the undertaking and will require Changing of many other parts and/or rewiring of remaining components.

greatxpectations
Car: 1996 D21 KA24E

you ditch the computer completly, add an aftermarket igniton, and coils, link both of the coils to the intake side of the igniton system, and tune ur carb....pretty easy setup...no more sensors! yes, there is a lil more to it, but thats the basics of it...

i was in the process of doing this until i fell into a 1996 KA, so im ditching my project, but there is more information on nissanminis.com about this swap! any questions, feel free to ask me!

peace

NismoD-21
Car: '95 Hardbody D-21, '87 Hardbody X-cab D-21

I think the z24 motor looks sick as hell when it's carburated. Plus, it cleans it up under the hood. Ever thought of doin' sidedrafts? Who needs a computer when mpg is not an issue. I'm doin' one this winter for my '87 hb. Goin for 200whp N/A.

Big-Bird
Car: 2000 Xterra on 'Roids & 2004 Quest SL

Interesting conversion....I have only known hot-rod purists favor Carbs over any form of fuel injection. Wonder what kind of benefit that will give you?

NismoD-21
Car: '95 Hardbody D-21, '87 Hardbody X-cab D-21

The side drafts open the z24 motor. They claim around 30hp with all the bolt on goodies-cams, exhaust, head job, etc. A regular top mount weber carb wont give you more ponies though. It just takes place of all the emissions and fuel injection basically. If you want to leave it FI, JWT makes a new ECM for it that's supposed to give 50 more hp. Not bad for the Z. There's a guy named"ubcnme" that has a turboed Z24i that was in minitruckin mag. He's putting around 300-350hp in his hb. That's wicked for a Z motor to have, considering it's the "workhorse engine" for our trucks. It all boils down to everything has it's pro's and con's.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Big-Bird wrote:Interesting conversion....I have only known hot-rod purists favor Carbs over any form of fuel injection. Wonder what kind of benefit that will give you?
Some types of racing only allow carb'd engines.Also, carbs are much easier to tune than EFI systems.Carbs are cheap.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”