Taking the AWD Rogue off-road

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
sirbikesalot
Car: Nissan Rogue AWD SL - Wicked Black

The weekend after I bought my AWD Rogue I took my son camping and went on some dirt roads after a big rain, so they were really muddy. I didn't have any problems except that my new car got all dirty, including the inside, with mud. After cleaning it today, I was thinking would it be possible to drive it on the beach? Sometimes the sand around here can get deep, and I don't want to chance it only to get it stuck and have to be towed out. Any thoughts?

nissantech06
Car: 2007 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

sirbikesalot wrote:The weekend after I bought my AWD Rogue I took my son camping and went on some dirt roads after a big rain, so they were really muddy. I didn't have any problems except that my new car got all dirty, including the inside, with mud. After cleaning it today, I was thinking would it be possible to drive it on the beach? Sometimes the sand around here can get deep, and I don't want to chance it only to get it stuck and have to be towed out. Any thoughts?
I wouldn't, mainly because the Rogue doesn't use a full-time AWD system, it ONLY activates when it senses slip...and that might be TOO much slip. Remember, it is basically a FWD vehicle with AWD assist.

JRA81984
Car: Rogue AWD SL - Gotham Gray, Black Seats, AWD Premium

Really? I was under the impression that it was always all wheel drive. Or at least thats how they make it sound.

originalstarlite

JRA81984 wrote:Really? I was under the impression that it was always all wheel drive. Or at least thats how they make it sound.
You are correct. The problem is really semantical, for before the advent of AWD vehicles, there was the 4WD vehicle. The later when engaged usually with a floor lever or dashboard switch would operate with all 4 wheels turning and digging along. There were cautions that this system could NOT be engaged over 40 MPH or used on dry roads. I had a Pathfinder like this.

Then came the AWD vehicles that can be a simple breed that is FWD and waits for any detected slipping. Then it quickly tries to get the motion going again by engaging some power to the rear wheels. GM with is Vesa-Track is a prime example of this recovery AWD. It is is constant damage control.

The Rogue AWD is more complex and does not wait until things have begun to slip. This intuitive AWD has more complexity than the others and is more like the systems found on the high-enders like BMW.

demo link from Nissan http://www.nissanusa.com/rogue...me.p1

Regardless of the system, once it is buried in deep mud or sand, you are done. That is why those winches are on those off-road vehicles. The Rogue does have a Lock Mode for its AWD that puts all 4 wheels into motion, but this is an emergency feature for crawling out of trouble and cannot be used over 5-7 MPH.

sirbikesalot

Guess I won't be taking it on the sand (not that I did anyway with my Xterra - maybe once a year). What about putting it in AWD lock, letting air out of the tires and going really slow?

NYNISSAN
Car: ALL OF EM

AWD lock only works up to 6 mph.

sirbikesalot

What happens if you go faster? Does it disengage automatically? Sorry I never read manuals.

EddNog
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Yes, it switches back to default operation.

-Ed

killercross
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD

bigger problem is the sand itself...it gets in everything and can ruin components if you don't clean it well after. Go to Budget and rent a 4x4...wreck theirs, not yours!

blaruffa
Car: Nissan Rogue

I drove my Rogue over the beach this weekend. Though it was a short trip only .2 of a mile. The AWD lock worked and the Rogue handled well. I will try a few more test times, before I take it out far in the National Sea Shore.

BTW the AWD light stayed on all the way up to 20mph.

sirbikesalot

I wonder though about hitting a patch of deep sand - 6" or more.

The manual did not state an upper speed limit for AWD lock, only that it would release the lock if fluid temp starts to rise quickly, which could happen in deeper sand and then you're stuck.

blaruffa
Car: Nissan Rogue

Since I didn't air down the tires like I normally would I was careful where I drove. But like any 4wd You can get the frame hung up in the sand pretty easy.

The next time out I will Air down so I can play further from safety.

I am not looking to do hardcore off roading, but I want to be able to get down the beach to the good fishing spots.

Up where I am the worst part is crossing the dune road to the beach. Once on the beach near the water line the sand is firm, but the dune is a killer if you don't have the right power and gear.

sirbikesalot

Yep, got the same issue down here at Ft Fisher. At least if I get stuck I'm near the entrance.
blaruffa wrote:Since I didn't air down the tires like I normally would I was careful where I drove. But like any 4wd You can get the frame hung up in the sand pretty easy.

The next time out I will Air down so I can play further from safety.

I am not looking to do hardcore off roading, but I want to be able to get down the beach to the good fishing spots.

Up where I am the worst part is crossing the dune road to the beach. Once on the beach near the water line the sand is firm, but the dune is a killer if you don't have the right power and gear.

Rogue Man
Car: 06 Civic EX Coupe FG1

Gotta love the Intuitive AWD System! it is alot better than the RAV4 and CRV's. The CRV cant even climb a small hill! LOL. The Rouge has the best AWD system out of all the small SUV's.
Modified by Rogue Man at 10:32 PM 12/7/2007

FoeDoe350Z

I've had my FWD loaded down with two 14ft kayaks and gear on 15 miles of primative beach. The max sand depth was ~1 foot is spots, the frame was slightly dragging but the vehicle did fine. I placed the transmission in manual mode and left in 1st gear @ 4k RPM through the deeper sand. The problem would have been if I stopped. I thought for sure I was going to get stuck, I was suprised. Since the vehicle is light it floated on the sand well. I had an 05 Grand Cherokee 2wd and the Rogue IMO handles much better in the sand, the Cherokee is much heavier.

I would think in moderate sand conditions the AWD would be fine, as long as you didn't stop in soft sand or bury it to the frame. Make sure you carry a tow strap. Any vehicle can get stuck in the sand.

Leo2005

I really like the design of rav4 except that ugly spare tire killing me. I ended up buying rogue from a lot reasons. Every car has minuses and pluses. Each person have a different opinion.

KC8YPK
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue

blaruffa wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:51 pm
I drove my Rogue over the beach this weekend. Though it was a short trip only .2 of a mile. The AWD lock worked and the Rogue handled well. I will try a few more test times, before I take it out far in the National Sea Shore.

BTW the AWD light stayed on all the way up to 20mph.
I have driven mine on the beach at South Padre island. SPent 3 days out there, drove 5 miles north of town to camp overnight. Turn the traction control off, and Awd LOCK PN AND DIDN'T have any issues at all. I saw several vehicles (Ford Vision and a few 4x4 trucks) get stuck. the trick, do not slow down, keep going and should be fine.

Return to “Rogue Forum”