Takeda Vs Stillen

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
NycGMONyc
Car: M45 06 sold
370z 09 trade
M35x 09 totaled
Q70S 15

I have a 2015 Q70S I currently have the Ark exhaust, I would like to get a cold air intake but can’t pick between the

Takeda Attack Stage-2 Pro Cold Air Intake System w/DRY S Filter Media

TA-3016P
Infiniti G35 (Sedan) 07-08 V6-3.5L (VQ35HR) / G37 08-13 / Q60 14-15 V6-3.7L (VQ37VHR)

**or**

Stillen
2008-2013 INFINITI G37 / 2014-2015 INFINITI Q60 AIR INTAKE - (GEN 3) DUAL ULTRA LONG TUBE - OIL FILTER - 402846

I see that the Takeda has dry filters vs the Stillen has oil filters, what can be expect less from both and what is recommended

Thanks

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

There is only about 1% difference between the oil and dry filters far as capturing particles so no worries there. However, oiled filters must be cleaned regularly and you must be careful not to apply too much oil lest you send the extra oil material to the MAFs and ruin them. I'd go with the dry filters and replace them regularly - less worry andless work.
That said, cold air filter systems have an extremely tiny effect on bhp (5 - 10 bhp) at full throttle only, performance, or mpg. All they will do is make the engine 'look' more powerful. Since I don't go about showing my engine bay to people, I consider CAIs an expensive, purely cosmetic modification.
The factory intake system was designed by engineers and the ho-hum looking plastic intake piece that sits at the front was already designed to provide the optimum amount of air.
Cold air intake is a contradiction in terms. If anything, the air that enters your engine through the CAI is warmer, not cooler than factory set-up due to the simple fact that the CAI filters sit inside and next to the hottest air in the engine bay.
If you want the 'look' of power, go for it. But if you want to actually have more power, get a tune + the CAI.

NycGMONyc
370z 09 trade
M35x 09 totaled
Q70S 15

Larz wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:02 am
There is only about 1% difference between the oil and dry filters far as capturing particles so no worries there. However, oiled filters must be cleaned regularly and you must be careful not to apply too much oil lest you send the extra oil material to the MAFs and ruin them. I'd go with the dry filters and replace them regularly - less worry andless work.
That said, cold air filter systems have an extremely tiny effect on bhp (5 - 10 bhp) at full throttle only, performance, or mpg. All they will do is make the engine 'look' more powerful. Since I don't go about showing my engine bay to people, I consider CAIs an expensive, purely cosmetic modification.
The factory intake system was designed by engineers and the ho-hum looking plastic intake piece that sits at the front was already designed to provide the optimum amount of air.
Cold air intake is a contradiction in terms. If anything, the air that enters your engine through the CAI is warmer, not cooler than factory set-up due to the simple fact that the CAI filters sit inside and next to the hottest air in the engine bay.
If you want the 'look' of power, go for it. But if you want to actually have more power, get a tune + the CAI.
That’s my main worry with the oil (the MAF). I already have the ARK exhaust and will be getting the berk test pipes and uprev tune done, I was just wondering if it’s worth getting a cold air intake and which one ( I like the takeda dry filter)

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

Assume you would need a tune on either one of them, but I'm sure you do on the Stillen.

NycGMONyc
370z 09 trade
M35x 09 totaled
Q70S 15

biggie wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:56 am
Assume you would need a tune on either one of them, but I'm sure you do on the Stillen.
Yea I said after all the mods I’ll be doing tune, an uprev tune

Shanehsmp
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35x - Sold
2012 Infiniti M56x
2016 Infiniti QX70s

Larz wrote:
Both of these systems sit outside of the engine bay, in front of the radiator.
There will be a performance gain with a proper tune - just make sure to collect baseline numbers.

For OP - Since the M37 engine bay is slightly longer than that of the G37; I'd go with the system that allows the easiest modification (a longer silicone joining tube). I saw the picture you posted in the FB group, but I wasn't able to respond at the time...one of them had the silicone tubes going on a longitudinal section, that would make install way easier.

NycGMONyc
370z 09 trade
M35x 09 totaled
Q70S 15

Shanehsmp wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:13 am
Larz wrote:
Both of these systems sit outside of the engine bay, in front of the radiator.
There will be a performance gain with a proper tune - just make sure to collect baseline numbers.

For OP - Since the M37 engine bay is slightly longer than that of the G37; I'd go with the system that allows the easiest modification (a longer silicone joining tube). I saw the picture you posted in the FB group, but I wasn't able to respond at the time...one of them had the silicone tubes going on a longitudinal section, that would make install way easier.

Thank for the suggestions and I agree the easier won’t to work with would be the takeda with the silicon tubes.

attila
Car: 2012 M37X

AEM makes a dry filter intake specifically for the M37. Comes with metal housings to isolate the filters from engine heat.

I've flogged my car through back roads, stopped and felt the intake tubes. Nice and cool.

One thing I did do is wrap the intake tubes with black Thermo-tec. Don't know if it helps with keeping intake air cool but figured it can't hurt.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”