TAKATA - It's happening AGAIN !

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

I posted a thread wayyyy back when the original recall went out to Infiniti owners. I had mine replaced under the recall. I also posted about the fact that Takata was replacing the airbags with a supposedly re-designed airbag - but instead of replacing the defective repellant that caused airbags to deploy, they simply added a desiccant to the faulty repellant to help absorb humidity and moisture. Experts were questioning if this was really a 'fix', or just a cheap way for Takata to comply with the recall. After the desiccant degrades, won't we all be in the same position with airbags that deploy willy nilly?
Well .... Subaru has announced a new recall of 500,000 cars for airbags that can deploy and send metal projectiles into the cabin. Wait for it .... the cars included in this latest recall are cars that already had airbags replaced in that original recall.

NHTSA: This same crop of cars were recalled in 2015 for the same reason, though their airbag inflators were replaced with the same defective Takata design. The Subaru models join tens of millions of vehicles already recalled and repaired in the 2015 recall action. The inflators could explode when the propellant that triggers the airbags degrades after exposure to "high absolute humidity" -- the amount of water vapor in an air sample -- high temperatures and toggling between extreme heat and extreme cold, the NHTSA said. According to documents released Wednesday from the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the replacement inflators were "interim remedy parts" or "like-for-like" replacements intended to be used as a temporary fix. They still contained phase-stabilized ammonium nitrate propellant, which may "cause metal fragments to pass through the air bag and into the vehicle interior at high speed, which may result in injury or death to vehicle occupants."

CNN: New recalls may affect some vehicles made by Audi, BMW, Daimler Vans, Ferrari, Fiat Chrysler, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru, Toyota and Volkswagen, according to the government documents. !!!!!!! So, if you're still driving a Yugo, or any car pre-1990, you're probably safe

To date, over 24 deaths and hundreds of injuries have been caused by defective airbags manufactured by Takata.

Let me say now and loud: I will drive this car to Nevada and send it down the canyon before I pay for a new dash a second time!

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Not what I call good news... :squint:

CarGuy87
Car: 350z, G37s, M35s

And all the m4d c00l k!ds with their Takata harnesses thinking they are all JDM.

Takata is s*** obviously.

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

Nissan has now officially announced as well, with notifications going out as of Feb. 10th.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rec ... e-airbags/

CarGuy87
Car: 350z, G37s, M35s

This is what happens when companies try to save too much cost. In the case of Nissan it bit them in the a** and now their sales are not going well, what to say of Infiniti.

TDot
Car: 2008 M35X, Lakeshore Slate/Tan

I don't feel so bad being too lazy to go get it done the first time around now.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

I've been concerned about Nissan for some time now. All the drama between them and Renault, the steady drop in quality caused by the cost-cutting, quality shaving leadership of the last few crooks ... opps! I mean CEOs.
Now they had to close the US factories for 2 days just to save on payroll and expenses. Then there was the 73% drop in profits in 2019, and Infiniti was down 38% in profits while also losing 18% of it's sales volume. Nissan revised it's projected earnings and reported that profits will continue to fall through March 2020.
And now, they are betting the farm on the upcoming 2021 and 2022 electric models to boost sales. It seems that what was once a great company has taken itself in wrong directions for years now, making every mistake possible along the way. Right now, I reckon betting on Nissan's future is about like hitting the blackjack tables in Vegas.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”