T Vibration Noise when car is stopped

General discussion area for the L31-chassis Altima, including the 05-06 SE-R models.
salmanmahmood15
Car: Nissan Altima 2005

Hello,

I have a Nissan Altima 2005, I am getting a vibrating noise when the car is stopped in Drive mode. It goes away when I put it in Parking or neutral mode. Also goes away when I turn the steering. So basically the noise only comes when the car is stopped in Drive mode and the steering is pointing straight. What can I do to fix the noise?

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Hey there, it seems like something is up with your idle maybe? What does the vibration sound like and where does it sound like it's coming from? What are your RPMS when stopped in drive or stopped in park?

Welcome to NICO Club!

salmanmahmood15
Car: Nissan Altima 2005

The noise comes from behind the steering (close to the tire maybe), in Drive the rpms are around 1K (thats when the noise comes), in parking and neutral the rpm is 0.5K.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Okay, now I can't check for you, but this sounds like it could be your exhaust heat shields are loose and making noise best heard around 1K RPM. There is a chance it's the power steering pump so check there also (at least check the fluid level). What I recommend is having the hood popped open so you can get close to the engine and listen/ look at the issue. You'll want a friend in the driver's seat who can keep the car in drive and hold down on the brakes while you're under the hood listening. Remind them it's a running car, it's in drive and they must keep their foot firmly on the brake!

Return to “3rd Generation Altima Sedan (2002-2006)”