synthetics question.. : )

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
red240ne
Car: mmm...donuts

Hi, here's the scoop. My mom is about to buy a 2001 Maxima w/18k miles onthe clock, and I want to help her take care of thatcar to the best of my abilities.

Ok, I would like to change the oil immediately, justbecause..and, I want to use synthetics, but am notfor sure on the advantages of synthetics on thisengine. How often should I change the oil(w/syn's)? Which grade should I use(5w-30, 10w-30...)

Also, if I use synthetics, do you recommend that Iuse a certain brand of oil filter as well? Thanks in advance..: ) Thanks, Curt

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

On a lower mile car, MOBIL1 is one of the best choices.

One grade of MOBIL 1 is rapidly gaining in popularity as the backlash against thin oils gains momentum.

It is MOBIL1 0w-40 and it is one of the few true/full synthetics left to buy off the shelf.

At first a lot of folks were sceptical to this grade, due to its large viscosity spread (something that usually indicates much VII used).

But oil analysis on your exact engine model (VQ30DE) have shown excellent results with this particular oil.

It is easily thin enough (0w) to be run in even a cold northern winter.And thick enough (40) to provide good protection in hard running and summer stop+go.It also exceeds the MOBIL1, 10w-30, on both sides of the performance envelope, ie start-up and hard running.

It also meets all the hardest oil specs in the industry:

ACEA A3 ( which is more stringent than A1 and A5) as well as MB 229.3, VW 505.1, as well as the Porsche perormance specs.

It would be my unequivocal recommendation for your application.

Fred....:)

PalmerWMD

PS: I used to never recommend the 0w-40, becasue it used to be impossible to get outside of MB and Porsche dealerships at a mark-up that made it a less attractive choice, but many Autozone stores carry it now.Also I think their new supersyn chemistry is for real.

Fred...:)

PalmerWMD

You asked about filters:

Best choice MOBIL1 filter BUT many filters are nearly as good for much less money.

The Nissan OEM filters are pretty good, The bosch filters are good, the hi-end of the STP's are good.

The K&N oil filters are good too but about as expensive as the MOBIL1 filters.

Change intervals:

A real cna of worms to open up but you <did> ask:

In town even with a good filter and a good oil I would change at not much more than 3000-3500 miles, if her driving is mostly hiway you can extend it a bit, but dont go crazy.

Yes, a school of thought is out there that recommends much longer intervals, as the base oils in modern syn oils are <very> stable and good for 20,000 miles of hiway driving, but the additives often aren't and the filters arent either (not just capacity but contruction as well you dont want a filter to collapse and send it contents, paper and all, into the engine, this happens a lot more often than PPL realize sometimes right on teh lift with teh first start at the oil change so get good filters as mentioned above).

Fred...:)

red240ne
Car: mmm...donuts

Thanks Fred.

Does Mobil1 originate from Pennsylvania?

madmax88
Car: my car

hay Amsoil 00w30 is is way better than mobil 1 that,s right, good for up to 35000 miles look it up brother,s

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”