Symptoms of A/T overfill?

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
93maxGXE

Hi all,

I own a '93 Maxima GXE automatic (125K miles) that has distinct transmission whine while in gear that varies with engine RPM. (Its quiet in neutral or park). The transmission itself shifts fine, smoothly with no signs of slippage. Trans fluid looks recent (not dirty) but I noticed that it is overfilled (well above hot when warm). Can anybody tell me if this whine could be a sympton of the overfilling (trans pump whine?) or is it simply a sign that my transmission is on its way out (which I'd assumed). Is there any real harm is running a transmission that is overfilled or would there be any reason why the previous owner (or any well meaning mechanic) would have purposely overfilled the transmission (Some sort of last ditch effort to extend the life of the tranny or quieten the whine??).I'd like to know if there is any risk to leaving it overfilled, or if the overfilling could be the cause of the whine instead of the whine just being a symptom of a dying transmission.Thanks for your input

Sean

NISTECH

the whine is likely a planetary gear[internal trans hard part] weather or not the overfill lead to this problem is hard to say. you should not leave it overfull though as it could cause problems with the clutch packs. definitly lower the level. how long with it last with the whine could be 2 days could be 2 decades. best bet is to drain the fluid and check the pan for metal debris to determine how badly the trans is. if you have minimumal you could probably make it last a bit longer.

93maxGXE

Hi NISTECH,

Thanks for the quick reply. I hope to hold onto the car for a while longer, so I'll look into the draining and refilling to the proper level. It's good to now have a qualified opinion on the matter.

Thanks

Sean

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”