Swift thrust washer/coilover binding question

All over the world, Nissan products are involved in road racing, track days, time attack and autocross.
240ShaneX
Car: '92 S13 hatch

Hey guys, I have Megan street coilovers and they're starting to bind up in the front (I believe it's binding, basically I get a cracking feeling under breaking and when I go over bums slow). I took them apart and greased the seats and springs (per Megan) and it kinda went away for a few days but it's coming back. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Swift thrust washers and if it helped binding? I had this in the suspension forum but got no answer in 4 days so I figured people actually pushing their coilovers might.

Also, SPL sells them in 60 and 65mm ID. Megan says their springs are 62mm ID. Does this mean that the 65s will be ok, or do you guys think the 60mm should fit over the seat? Thanks!

LINK to washers: http://splparts.com/store/product-info.php?pid128.html

flohtingPoint
Car: 2004 Z16 Corvette Z06

Crappy coilovers will give you crappy results. Honestly, it's a lot of work for stuff you should replace.

To answer your question, just search for 2.5 inch, they're pretty much standard. You dont need washers though. Honestly, I think your problem is much deeper rooted and doesn't have to do with your spring's motion.

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

just to double check for binding... wrap some zip ties around the springs.... if they bind, the zipties will break and disappear... then you'll know :)

240ShaneX
Car: '92 S13 hatch

Thanks! When I took my coilovers apart to grease them I noticed the spring was a little rusted and worn where the coils begin by the perches... I'm assuming that's where it's binding at. So I should just ziptie a few locations to see how far down the coil the binding goes?

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

essentially... just stick a ziptie on every coil if you want, and that should give you an idea IF and WHERE its binding

Return to “Nissan Road Racing / Auto X Forum”