Swapping an L33 vortec and t56 into an S13 need guidance

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
DarkSlide77
Car: S13 coupe 1993

Hey gents, :wavey: I'm about to purchase an L33 5.3 Chevy vortec engine, 98 t56, and a 2001 suburban wiring harness tomorrow or the next day. Apparently the suburban is drive by wire and it even comes with the pedal assembly. I've never seen anyone have a drive by wire in their lsx swap so I don't really know what I'm doing lol. I'm hoping I'm making the right purchases and won't regret it. If I am PLEASE tell me.

My questions are:
1. Where can I find info on how to wire up a vortec motor to an S13 or is it the same as doing an LS1? (If there's info about how to do all the extras such as speedometer calibration and all that good stuff I see when I look at purchasing custom made harnesses that would be great)

2. Should I do drive by wire, and all my friends are telling me the 2001 Suburban 1500 5.3 harness will work on my Silverado 2005 Silverado 1500 5.3 motor, are they correct ?

3. The 98 t56 is from a corvette. I know I will need the tail housing and bellhousing.....is that all I will need or should I go with another model t56 such as f body or got?

Thank you Thank you thank you for all your help in advance Nico gurus :bowrofl:

earlingy
Car: 89 240SX Coupe
87 Supra

I'm no expert, but I just finished my truck 5.3 swap so maybe I can help.
1. Wiring is pretty much the same, truck MAF has temp sensor in one, 5 pin connector. Truck motors have different injectors, different plugs. But overall the same. I used a Dakota Digital speedo calibrator between the Chevy PCM and 240sx speedo, was super easy to calibrate, just hit +/- til it matches your GPS. If you are competent at wiring you can DIY it, otherwise get a premade harness from wiring specialties.
2. Drive by wire is fine, but you need the gas pedal. You will have to attach the gas pedal and wire it in. Older ones may have a seperate TAC module for the pedal, get it too, and run a PCM that used a seperate TAC module. It is always a better bet to use the harness and PCM from the same car as the donor. They may or may not have the same injectors. However, Chevy PCMs are pretty easy to tune, and your tuner can probably get your setup running.
3. Ask at ls1tech, my T56 bolted right up, it was from a Camaro though. there was 1 bolt hole that wasn't there on the iron block. Most LS motors have the same pattern and it'll bolt right up.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”