Swap SL LED headlights into a 2020 SV

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
zukabaker
Car: 2019 Rogue SV AWD

So I was looking thru the forums but did not see anything about this. I am getting a 2020 SV and I was curious if you could just swap headlights from an SL that has the LED headlights?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Clarification needed.

Are you asking about swapping out the OEM halogen bulb for the OEM LED bulb? If so, the answer is no. You'd have to buy an aftermarket kit.

If you're asking if you can swap out the headlight assembly, then sure, as long as you're willing to pay around $350 - $700 each. It might require some modification, but it could be done.

zukabaker
Car: 2019 Rogue SV AWD

I was asking if you could just swap out headlight assembly for headlight assembly but I guess it’s not that simple

-furbz-
Car: 2010 Nissan Altima 2.5

Thinking about doing something similar, What would the modifications be? Is it a different connector(s) ?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Do you want to swap them out because everyone else has them or because you think they'll perform better than what you have now? Either way, you should take a moment to read this...
Rogue One wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:04 am
The Key Differences Between LED and HID:
HID headlights are the brightest on the market, and the light they emit covers a larger area than halogen and LED bulbs. In fact, the area covered by HID headlights is nearly an entire third larger than the area covered by LED headlights. HIDs are also more effective at lighting up the sides of the road.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I'm fairly certain the connectors differ and the wire positions in the connectors are definitely different. In addition, the LED lamps use a feedback system to warn of LED malfunctions that won't be available to you. It's impractical to add that, you'd need to reconfigure the IPDM and change the cluster along with adding wires. Aside from that, there's nothing to prevent doing it if you're prepared to do some serious wire rearrangement. However, the cost is a major down-side, the LED assemblies list for about $1100 each and don't discount below about $750, plus there's nothing serviceable in the LED circuit. If you lose a low beam, the entire assembly has to be replaced, not just a bulb.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

I did an LED upgrade from Halogens on my 2016 Rogue SL (non-prem package). Its cheaper to get an LED upgrade it than retrofitting the entire assembly yourself. The kit only cost less than $200 and with a weekend (more like an hour or less), you can have an Rogue SV with LED headlights.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

datechboss101 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:51 am
I did an LED upgrade from Halogens on my 2016 Rogue SL (non-prem package). Its cheaper to get an LED upgrade it than retrofitting the entire assembly yourself. The kit only cost less than $200 and with a weekend (more like an hour or less), you can have an Rogue SV with LED headlights.
I agree, the new generation LED retrofit bulbs from outfits like VLED are leaps-and-bounds better than they were a few years ago. We used to see frequent burnouts from inadequate heat-sinking, but that no longer seems to be the case with bulbs from reputable manufacturers. I'd still steer you clear of bargain-basement stuff, but I no longer tell customers they're inadvisable in general.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:13 am
datechboss101 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:51 am
I agree, the new generation LED retrofit bulbs from outfits like VLED are leaps-and-bounds better than they were a few years ago. We used to see frequent burnouts from inadequate heat-sinking, but that no longer seems to be the case with bulbs from reputable manufacturers. I'd still steer you clear of bargain-basement stuff, but I no longer tell customers they're inadvisable in general.
I had the LEDs for like 40k miles. Bought from Precision LEDs, and they held up really well. In the kit IICR, has an adapter and a connector with a seal. I was considering about getting one for our 19 SV, but after the amount of electrical gremlins, I decided not to, since I am planning to get rid of the vehicle. Tbh we use my car more than the Rogue.

-furbz-
Car: 2010 Nissan Altima 2.5

Thanks all for the responses, thought it was going to be more of a wire harness that could possible get added to the mix and make everything work but that would have been too good. I changed my halogens to LED bulbs about 6 months ago from Amazon as I just wanted to test them out. Had usually always used HID kits from TRS. Might spend the extra at VLEDS.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

-furbz- wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:12 am
Might spend the extra at VLEDS.
By and large, the bargain stuff still isn't any bargain. It's generally crap with insufficient heat-sinking that will fail every 6 months. Datechboss is right, the Precisions seem like good units, and my customers have done well with GTR Lighting as well as VLEDs. They're all forced-air with plenty of aluminum and good heat-transfer design.

Return to “Rogue Forum”