Suspension problem?

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
jerry

HELP!! Anybody out there with any ideas on my problem?I have a 95 240sx that when going through a dip in the road, it seems like the front end wants to veer off to the right, and the rear veers to the left. It just seems like that not sure if it real moves that way. The problem is worse with a full tank of gas.The car has never been crashed, and just recently had a 4 wheel alignment. The tires were balanced, rotated, then the alignment.This had no affect what so ever ? The car has around 66K mileson it. Struts already ??Any help is greatly appreciated.

NateDogg

Does it ride like a Buick? Bounce excessively over speedbumps?

jerry

The car rides just fine. It actually is just a little bit stiff and youfeel most of the bumps on the roads. I can even corner fairly fastwithout much body lean.The car has basically been babied since day1. I don't think I haveeven had it over say about 75 mph. It doesn't go off paved roads except for a rare vist to an aunt who has a non-paved driveway about 1 block long. And I go slow.Over the years I have run through some good chuckholes but none that really stick out in my mind or have caused an immediate change in the steering or ???I have noticed that this problem has come on very slowly. I noticed it very slightly about a year ago and just thought that with the 4 wheel independent suspension it was just getting time for a 4 wheel alignment. When the alignment had no change I just started wondering what in the world could it be??Has me puzzled ?? I just thought that maybe this was a typical or common reation these cars may have when a certain component gets enough wear like 1 of the rear link arm bushings or ???

NateDogg

Bushings are cheap and they will need replacing anyways. Go with that first.

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Don't known where owners got the idea that shocks last very long in years or miles but by 66k [7 years] , they are all no where near oem new specs. Even those with a lifetime warranty [against External leaks]!

You said a wreck and an alignment how close to the perfect midpoint was it afterwards or just somewhere in the factory range [or as we call it the keep it on the road range].How does it compare to the every 6 month alignment print out before? If you don't know what it was how can you expect the rebuilder/insurance to return it to where it was?

jerry

Thats for the help but I think Q45 tech must have missread myoriginal post. The car has never been wrecked. It actually rarely even gets off paved roads. The closest that it comes to any abuseis that I know I have hit some potholes, chuckholes whatever youwant to call them. Nothing severe but I since I am scratching my head.

I do all the service myself and fairly strictly follow the guidelines suggested by the Nissan Shop Manual. I ordered this when I bought the car. Don't know what they go for now but back in 95 I want to recall it was like $96.00.

The car was taken to the Nissan Dealer for the 30 & 60K service but I do the rest except when it comes to tires. I didn't really care for the Potenza's it came with so at about 45K or so I had them swapped out with a soft compund asymetric (spelling ?) tire.I think the brand is Kelly but not quite sure. The tires have very good tread and being very soft are only rated at like 40K miles I rotate the tires and every 4th rotation take it to the shop to have them rebalanced. They are really good rain tires (living in the Seattle area you need that) but I think I will go back to thegoodyear eagle gt's.

Natedogg has brought up bushings ?? The car almost seems like as the suspension moves up the alignment of 1 or more tires change. Could this be bushings ?? I don't hear or feel any rattles,loosness etc.

Anybody use the newer Urethane bushings on these cars? Do they squeek alot? I also work with 4X4's and the urethane bushings being much stronger and holding up better have pretty much swept through the field in that catagory. The only drawback is that unless you relace the links with ones that have grease fittings, or install grease fitting the urethane can sure make a lot of noise. granted they are moving a lot more than they would in a car but???

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

"The problem is worse with a full tank of gas."......adds 100 pounds to rear load so something with the rear try replacing rear shocks as they have 66k on them.

You're right need to clean glasses 'never been crashed'.

drjohn

Sounds to me that it's time for strut replacement. Push down on all 4 corners of the car by bouncing on the shocks really hard and let go. Count the number of bounces it makes after letting go. More than 2-3 the struts are weak or just worn out.Compare each one to each other as far as firmness. Look in the wheel wells and move the dust boot up and check for oil leakage. This will also require strut replacement if oil is present. If bushings are worn out it makes the frt. end hard to align.

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”