Suspension Lifts 101

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Ron Burgundy
Car: 1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder 3.3 LE

So I was tired of searching relentlessly through countless amounts of forums just to have all my questions answered about a popular topic in the R50 world. So I took matters into my own hands. I'm sure i've missed a few points and those who actually have first hand experiences are welcome to add. When you reply with helpful additions, I will edit the original post (of course I will give credit in the original post).

And now without further adieu...

The R50 (1996-2004) model Pathfinder/QX4 features a “unibody” layout, using a floor pan with front and rear frame side rails which supports (and is welded to) the main body structure. This aspect of the vehicle’s construction makes a body lift (without the application of a subframe drop, or SFD) impossible.

The most common means of lifting an R50 is by way of replacing the stock suspension coil springs with extended coil springs – this however, limits the amount of lift obtained to minimal quantities. Spacers may be added in addition to lengthened coil springs for - more or less – an extra inch.

Available Suspension Lifts
Below is a list (and links to descriptions of) all commercially available suspension lifts in the United States.

Automotive Customizers Heavy Duty – ½” of Lift*
- Front Coils
o https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/pathfi ... -1647.html
- Rear Coils
o https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/pathfi ... p-723.html
*Without an additional load in the front/rear these coils may provide more than the advertised ½’ of lift.

Automotive Customizers Medium Duty – ½” of Lift
- Front Coils
o https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/pathfi ... -5608.html
- Rear Coils
o https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/pathfi ... p-723.html

Automotive Customizers Light Duty – ½” of Lift
- Front Coils
o https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/pathfi ... -1649.html
- Oddly enough – The light duty rear coils are not listed in the 4x4parts catalog.

Automotive Customizers Suspension Lift – 2" of Lift
- https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/pathfi ... -1550.html

Old Man Emu (OME) Suspension Lift – 1.75” of Lift
- http://www.rocky-road.com/pathfindersus.html
- http://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/pathfinde ... 8_593.html

Note the differences in advertised lift gained between the two websites. The numbers are inaccurate and up for debate – however, the majority of OME users claim a 1.75’ gain. Update: the OME Heavy Duty coils will provide approx. 1.75” of lift – The medium and light duty will provide 0.75”-0.5” respectively.

Suspension Lift Differences
Each suspension lift has their own advantages and disadvantages. When choosing a lift consider your wants/needs and your ultimate purpose behind the lift (i.e. – off-road use, appearance, fitting larger tires, accommodate greater loads, etc.)

The only variation when it comes to the Automotive Customizers (hereon out referred to as AC) light, medium, and heavy duty suspension lifts is the additional load capacity gained by the install. Due to the minute increase in ride height these are not generally considered in the discussion of R50 suspension lifts – however, they do still provide some lift to your vehicle.

As far as the differences between the AC 2” lift and the OME 1.75” go (besides amount of lift gained), it is hard to say. After evaluating many personal accounts from users of both lifts – it seems the differences are few and far between and once again come down to personal preferences/needs.

Replacing Shocks/Struts
You will notice that both of the main suspension lifts are offered with new shocks and struts. While the purchase of these items is not necessary it would be wise to consider replacing these components considering the vicinity of the springs to the shocks/struts. In other words – two birds, one stone – if you’re going to be working with suspension components – you might as well consider replacing others while working in that surrounding area. In addition, if your shocks/struts aren’t currently worn and in need of replacing, think about any extra stress you may be placing on these components once the lift is installed. For example: off-roading/carrying extra loads will greatly increase the stress placed on your shocks and struts and will greatly decrease their life.

It is also important to note that you can probably purchase shocks and struts cheaper on their own rather than with the packages advertised.

Additional Parts/Purchases
Below is a list of items to consider purchasing when installing a suspension lift.

Wheels/Tires
While by no means necessary, the majority of those lifting their R50 will be doing it to be able to increase the size of tires they are able to fit (or some other reason inevitably leading to an increased tire size). Though the AC lift claims the use of wheels with 3.75” negative backspacing is necessary, it will not become required until a tire 31” or larger is used. However, once that milestone is reached (31”+ tires that is) new wheels with a greater negative backspacing must be used. Note: Some claim to have gotten away with 4”-4.25” backspacing wheels with 31”+ tires; consult a professional before purchasing. I would recommend mounting something similar to test before purchasing as well.

Consider the terrain you will be driving on mostly (street, dirt, mud, sand, snow, etc.) if purchasing tires as the type of tread will greatly impact driving quality on different surfaces. Before it gets asked – with a little bending and trimming 33” tires can be fit with the AC lift, 34” tires can be fit with A LOT of bending and trimming – 32” should fit just fine.

Camber Alignment Kit
https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/camber ... -2809.html
Recommended by AC when installing the suspension lifts - will aid in tire alignment once lift is installed.

Warn Manual Hubs
https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/warn-p ... p-720.html
With full-time hubs or "drive flanges" the front drive train is constantly in motion. This is what allows you to "shift on the fly" into 4WD at speeds up to 50mph. The problem with drive flanges is that they contribute to premature wear of the CV boot, especially when a lift is installed, since the CV joint angles increase. This is why many people install manual hubs as part of a lift.

With manual hubs, you basically have two modes: locked and unlocked. When the hubs are locked, they behave just like drive flanges. When unlocked, the wheels are mechanically disengaged from the axle shafts. In other words, wheel rotation can now act independent of drive train rotation.

4x2, or 2 Wheel Drive, R50s do not have front CV axles or driveline – therefore warn manual hubs serve no purpose.

Extended Brake Lines
Not purchased by most, though should be considered. If after install you notice extra stress on your brake lines you may want to think about purchasing these.

Installing Suspension Lifts
I will not give a step by step installation of installing a suspension lift at the moment (however, it would be helpful if anyone would like to take up that picture filled project). I will state, that after reading various accounts of installation, I’ve come to the conclusion that this can be a project completed by the home mechanic. The only special tool required would be a spring compressor to remove the stock springs. The basic mechanic’s arsenal of tools (socket wrenches and what not) will be needed as well.

Other Things To Note Regarding Suspension Lifts
- With the larger lift options ride quality will “suffer”. Ride quality becomes stiffer and the Pathfinder/QX4 will drive more like a truck. Suffer in quotations as this may not be a negative side affect to some.

- Once the lift is installed, you may notice a higher than advertised lift gained. As the springs “settle” over the next few weeks/months/years you will notice the weight of the vehicle and additional stressors will cause the lift to “settle” to advertised height.

- With the larger lift options you may experience “topping out” of your struts when going over bumps/pot holes. The strut reaches its maximum capacity as far as extension goes and a loud “clunking” sound will be heard from inside the cabin. Though this doesn’t seem to cause any extra wear on the struts, it is recommended to slow down over bumps while the lift is still in its settling phase. Limiting straps may be installed to avoid this. Limiting straps will limit strut travel to prevent topping out.

- Extreme off-roading without the use of manual hubs will cause a great deal of stress on your CV joints and may end up destroying them in the future causing the need for replacement. Please take this into consideration.

- Most claim once the suspension lift is installed, the rear sway bar may be removed to obtain extra "flex" while still maintaining a safe drive.

- Expect fuel economy to greatly decrease upon installation of a suspension lift. Not only will a lifted vehicly decrease the already poor aerodynamics of your vehicle, but the most common addition of larger tires will greatly increase the weight of your vehicly thus decreasing MPG.

KyooX4
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4 4wd

Nice write-up! I don't know why no one else has commented.

Might want to include wheel spacers/adapters too.

Empty V
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4, 1982 Corvette C3 Shark

Awesome write-up! Lots of great info here that many will benefit from. Thanks for contributing to the community! BTW I just bought these 1.5" wheel spacers - Rugged Rocks Off-Road Wheel Spacers

Billy

Ron Burgundy

KyooX4 wrote:Nice write-up! I don't know why no one else has commented.

Might want to include wheel spacers/adapters too.
Empty V wrote:Awesome write-up! Lots of great info here that many will benefit from. Thanks for contributing to the community! BTW I just bought these 1.5" wheel spacers - Rugged Rocks Off-Road Wheel Spacers

Billy
Thanks to both of you!

I know right! Not that I was looking for commendation for my efforts but I was just like "WTF!? REALLY!? This is one of the most common modifications in the R50 community! NO ONE WANT'S TO CHIME IN!?"

I will definately read into wheel spacers and add to the original post.

Thanks again!

Pwnin O'Brien

This is a great post! Stickied!

Ron Burgundy

Hey thanks!

It's nice having a dedicated mod!

(Still doing a little research on those wheel spacers before I add!)

Viking97Q
Car: 1997 Infinity QX4

Thank you! I have been looking all night (It's 3:30 am right now) for the info you have here.

I found the AC kit and the Old Man EMU, and I wondered about the spring option by itself. My dampers are fairly new, so I'll try those.

Now...do you know if 15" rims will fit on my Q? I don't want to assume that the Pathfinder's brakes/calipers are the same diameter and cause havoc from my 16" set up. And on the spacers, I assume I could also just use those with my stock rims for the meantime? The smooth Hankooks will be a bit underwhelming with the lift, but perhaps the spacers will give the aggressive look I'm after anyway.

Ron Burgundy

I believe 15" rims will be fine, but wait for a Q owner to chime in shortly and confirm.

Yes, you can run stock wheels while running 1.5" spacers. You may experience some rubbing at full lock, but nothing crazy.

CanuckQx4
Car: 2001.5 Qx4 2wd

They not carry the wheel spacers anymore???

Ron Burgundy

Huh?

Both 01silvapathy and I purhcased 1.5" wheel spacers from here:

http://www.trail-gear.com/wheel-spacers

CanuckQx4

I was just going byt he link he posted, thats a damn good price for the spacers.

I dont have a lift on my qx4, I actually proabably have a drop after my stereo and old a** oem suspension sag. but sometimes my tires rub on full lock (265/70/17)

Would wheel spacers defientely make that worse or would it not affect anything??

CanuckQx4

actually crap, its only my fronts really that rub and these are sold by the pair....

I may just do the rears... 2"?? give it a real aggressive stance or would that be to much

Do you need to use the socket for any special reason or will my own regular sockets work

Ron Burgundy

My guess is it would only make things worse.. And your fronts rubbing doesn't make much sense.

Your sound system (I would assume) has most of its weight in the rear of your vehicle. Which might cause worn springs to sag, therefore causing the rear of the vehicle to sag and the rear tires to rub.

Why your front tires are rubbing, im not too sure... Perhaps its just time for a spring swap anyway. If it is the rear that has too much sag you can take the less expensive route and go with this: http://www.airliftcompany.com/index.php

If you'd like to lose your tire rub (provided the rub is actually being caused by worn springs) and not go with such an aggressive lift OME (Old Man Emu) offers various sizes for their springs.

Hell, you may just need new stock springs - the old ones are more than likely shot if they've never been replaced; especially considering the added weight of your sound system and any other goodies you may have had in there at one time or another.
But consider any future weights when/if purchasing springs. Don't purchase stock springs if you're just gonna go and blow them out again with more heavy equipment - make sense?

Now back to the spacers...

1.5" spacers do noticably change your vehicles stance (serach 01silvapathy Fitting 33s on AC Lift for pictures). Anything less than that I couldn't imagine would make much of an aesthetic difference.

2" spacers, as you suggested, would be the largest I would ever put on these vehicles. Anything more than that would just seem like overkill, not to mention probably not street legal or safe. It will definately give it a much wider stance. As for whether or not you see that as "aggressive" is in the eye of the beholder.

The good news: the installation is super easy. You may want to consider purchasing the spacers from a company with a good refund policy, install them and decide whether to keep them, or return them from there. Just make sure you read that refund policy closely!

As for the tools you need to complete this job:

- Torque Wrench
- Jack
- Jack Stand
- Socket Wrench
- Various Sockets

From the trail-gear website:
http://www.trail-gear.com/pdf/wheelspr.pdf

The socket listed is not absolutely necessary (as it is somewhat difficult to find) but will make things quicker; rather then searching for a socket that will fit.

xswamperx
Car: 1998 Pathfinder R-50 SE

Great write up Ron, I saw this article you wrote awhile ago and i am definitely going w/ the 2" AC lift. Ive been researching all that goes into the lift and wanted to stay w my original 15" 6 spoke rims model # ALY62344U10 http://www.nissan-auto-and-parts.com/wh ... 44u10.html. The only thing I'm wondering about, which no one, not even Nissan can give me, is the info on the wheel backspacing. The kit calls out for wheels w/ a negative 3.75" backspacing. I'm looking to run 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Duratracs. Aside from going out to the Pathi an pulling the wheel off an measuring, I was hoping to know if anyone has run the original 6 spoke rims w/ the 2" lift an 31x10.50x15 tires. Cant find anything on our site about em.

Ron Burgundy

I will try and look it up later (if someone hasn't answered already by then) but I believe the backspacing on stock wheels is either 4.25" or 4.5".

However, with the addition of wheel spacers, your tires (up to 33") and stock wheels (regardless of backspacing) should clear the strut. Both 01silvapathy and myself have run or are running stock wheels on the AC lift.

xswamperx

Hey Ron thx for the input.. I went ahead and pulled one of my wheels off and found i had a 5 5/8" Backspace on my wheel. Pretty deep, so does this mean i still need spacers?..Also i was looking into buying the Rancho shocks and struts separately instead of the kit to save some bucks. I called A/C this morning and they wont give out the model # for the Rancho RS90000XL rear shocks or the model # for the Rancho struts. If you have that info it would be great for not only me but for everyone else who purchases them separately instead of the kit. Was the kit you ordered Sku# SPBOPKG5. That's the one i'm looking at at 4x4parts web site. Ans lastly I have a 98 an you have a 99.5 i think right, are your wheels the same as mine, like the link i inserted above in my other post. These things are a must to know in moving forward in lifting the Pathi. Who knows i might have to get new wheels ugh.

xswamperx

And did any of you guys install strut spacers.

xswamperx

Umm yeah.... anyone can comment on this, it would help me in purchasing the products i need. :gotme

Ron Burgundy

Haha take it easy...

Keep in mind everyone here is a volunteer just like you; which mean you may not get a response right away!

Now with that being said...

Assuming you have stock wheels, 5 5/8" backspacing sounds pretty extreme. Like I said from what I've read, its around 4"-4.5" maybe even 4.75", but i've never actually measured myself. From what I can tell, if you're sticking with stock tires (which I doubt you will) you probably wont need spacers up front. But anything bigger than stock, I would invest in a pair of 1.5" spacers or some new wheels.

AC won't give out part numbers, because they're a business not a charity. Other members have tried. However, if you're just concerned with getting them cheaper, just do a google search:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Rancho+R ... 25497da7fb

I didn't order a kit. I purchased the front and rear springs from AC, shocks and struts from eBay, and other misc. parts from courtesyparts.com.

We are not running the same wheels. These are the ones on my vehicle:
http://catalog.thewheelwarehouse.com/in ... cts_id=802

I also have 1.5" wheel spacers on the fronts.

I believe Empty V has strut spacers installed.

Any other questions?

Iceman2989
Car: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder

Thank you for all great info! Is it a bad idea to change the coil springs but leave the stock shocks/struts? Do I need longer shocks and struts if I want to lift my 97 pathy 2 inches? The kit Im looking at getting is: https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/pathfin ... -1550.html Ive also heard about strut spacers, would I use those instead of getting longer struts? Pretty much everything is stock on my pathy, except a custom front bumper, so the suspension is sagging. I figured when I replace the coil springs/struts I might as well give it a lift~ :biggrin: (The rear shocks still seem in decent condition, but the front are pretty much shot.)

Ron Burgundy

You don't need to replace either your shocks or your struts, however, extended length shocks are recommended.

Your vehicle will be drivable either way, your standard length shocks just may be more damage prone.

Just to give you an idea, there are plenty of us (myself included) lifted with standard length shocks.

Lets see pics of that bumper though!

EDIT: ...and to answer your other questions...

Strut spacers will simply provide even more lift up front. If your front bumper really is that heavy, you might want to consider them, but I think you'll be fine with the 2" coils.

And no, your standard size struts will be used even if lifted. I'm not even sure if they make larger struts. However, because you're lifting the vehicle and not increasing the length of the strut tower, you will experience some "topping out". Essentially, when going over speed bumps, pot holes, etc., your struts will extend (even more) to their maximum point and you may hear a loud "clunk" from inside the cabin. It's completely normal and has shown to cause little to no damge to the strut or is components. The severity of the "topping out" should decrease as your new coils settle and your ride height lowers to the advertised 2".

Iceman2989
Car: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder

That answered my question perfectly. Thanks for that.

Here are some before, during, and after pics of the bumper :)

After wearing it in~

Ron Burgundy

Very cool!

Looking foward to an aftermarket or custom bumper myself!

If you have any more questions about the lift, feel free to post 'em...

I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Enfuego12
Car: 1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder SE

I am currently in search of replacing the suspension on my 99.5 pathfinder SE. The guys at 4x4parts.com have been the best to work with so far.

While I have heard nothing but great things about Old Man Emu lifts I want to know how everyone likes their AC lift? Are you running the HD Coils with the 2" lift? How does it ride on the street?

Burgundy...can you post a pic of your pathy? And great writeup...big help as I have searched for all the pieces to get this done.

Ron Burgundy

I am running the AC 2" Lift and personally, I love it.

I gotta be honest with you though, take the following statements on ride quality with a grain of salt. Though my springs, struts, and shocks are new, the rest of my suspension (bushings, ball joints, etc) is pretty shot. The ride quality I experience is likely much different to that of a typical lifted path.

Regardless, I still love it. I basically only use it for street driving and I have no complaints. I do "feel" the road a lot more but again, I couldn't tell you if thats a side effect of the left or the worn suspension. You will experience the "top out" effect with the extended strut travel however. Essentially, you go slow over bumps and when you hit a deep pothole or big RR tracks, it might scare the s*** out of you. But over time, it become more and more minimal. Don't let that discourage you.

Bottom Line: Depending on your intentions behind the getting the lift, I think you'll be pleased. Just keep in mind, your a little higher off the ground, and it's not gonna drive like a car that isn't (say a Corrolla).

As for the pic, give me some time, and I'll get one up.

Enfuego12

That is all good to know, including the topping out of the struts and the 'fear factor.' Could scare the $#!* out the kids more than me.

This is a difficult decision determining how hardcore I can make the truck over the years w/ bumpers etc. It is majority a family car now with some camping and tons of skiing/boarding.

I bet even with .5" of lift I will notice significant changes given the age of my pathy and the springs so compressed. I will let you know how it goes.

Ya know its funny how OME is so high on their stuff. They actually encouraged me against anything else saying theirs is so great but alot of guys on this forum like their AC Lift.

Enfuego12

So...I had to get the tires ASAP!!! Mine were balder than bruce willis and we got snow/ice here.

Hell ya, I am so psyched. 31x10.50 wild country xtr tires with some black steel 15" rims w/ 4" neg. backspacing. Looks sick!

And with the AC suspension on the way. I decided to just replace suspension w/ coils, shocks, struts, towers, boots addingn only .5" of lift. Not much but the truck will ride much safer and it already sits taller with new tires. I would love to do the HD coils but I don't think it is totally necessary for my driving.

Thanks for the post/thread as far as running 31x1050 on stock path. I had this tire on my 89 path that I had to sell but the backspacing makes for a better look for sure.

Desert-Fox
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Hey guys, great thread so far and hopefully you guys can help me out...
I'm eventually going to go with the AC 2" lift, but am just waiting for the funds...
This will be going on a 2001 Pathfinder LE that does not have anything done suspension wise or rim wise; just 30s.

From my understanding, besides the fact that ride stiffness will be increased, steering/handling will not be decreased, correct? Obviously, ride height comes into play so it has a higher center of gravity, etc., but besides that fact.

Also, some people have mentioned longer struts. I'm curious about these, because although the struts aren't harmed, things making bumps makes me cringe and I'd rather not have that... So my question: Are they around, or is there just the normal length struts?

Thanks for the help!

Ron Burgundy

Desert-Fox wrote: From my understanding, besides the fact that ride stiffness will be increased, steering/handling will not be decreased, correct? Obviously, ride height comes into play so it has a higher center of gravity, etc., but besides that fact.
Again, take my opinion with a grain of salt due to the rest of my worn out suspension, but from my personal experience I would have to say yes - you are correct.
Desert-Fox wrote:...longer struts...
Besides custom jobs, I haven't seen 'em myself, but that doesn't mean they're not out there. I've never really looked. However, if its the thud you're worried about, perhaps do some research on some limiting straps to limit the travel of the strut and avoid the knocking.

donald
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4 (RIP, 2011)
2010 Pathfinder LE

in regards to struts & shocks... what is recommended?

I don't plan on doing any hardcore off-roading like flexing the axles and such. I think the worst environmental stomping my truck will do is some seasonal trips to the snow (mind you, that roads are generally plowed).

The heaviest pulling/towing I plan to do is probably a motorcycle hitch carrier (not a trailer).

I've already got:
MD OME 923 (front coils)
MD OME 922 (rear colis)
KYB GR-2 struts
KYB GR-2 shocks

What I'm worried about are the rear shocks not being sufficient enough to dampen the rear when the motorcycle is back there. The motorcycle weighs around 400lbs, carrier is about 100lbs, so I'm at the 500lb tongue limit.

Will the KYB GR-2 shocks be sufficient for this kind of load?

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”