Suspension for S13 Coupe

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
LaMaR~
Car: 1993 240sx

Hey guys whats going on, trying to get some suggestions on what suspension parts to upgrade on my coupe, Currently stock bodied but I am deployed overseas at the moment and plan on ordering in the next month or so.
Right now the only thing I am really set on is Tein Super Drift coilovers, but even that isnt 100%.

What I am looking for in suspension...
It needs to get low, Needs to help improve handling, and be adjustable. The coupe is going to be my daily driver/weekend warrior, its something I plan to drift, last car I had was a FC RX7 that I sold when I joined the military, so havnt really drifted anything in 2 1/2 years.

So suggestions and thoughts please.
Coilovers
sway bars
end links
Bushings

The whole deal really. That will be the main part of this build when I get back followed by a swap to either a Sr or Rb.

tramp_drift240
Car: 1992 240sx SE Coupe

seeing how this sounds like every other run-of-the-mill 240 youre trying to build, i suggest you just look through the forum and pick random brands and parts to use.

tein, pbm, stance, silk road, blah blah blah. lots of decent coilover companies out there that are adjustable, improve handling, and go low. those are some really vague requirements.

sway bars, white line, progress, cusco, come on. end links normally are included unless the sway bar uses stock style end links. then you can always go poly bushings to stiffen up the stock end links.

bushings? jesus.

being deployed somewhere overseas, i assume youre old enough to know the basics of internet usage, how to search for things, and how to browse forums and internet stores.

get to work.

pacotaco345
Car: 91 240SX coupe

I say if you have the money go with super killer stance coils, from what I hear super drifts are hella stiff and you'll hate life anywhere besides the track.. but then again that's just what I've heard. PBM makes killer suspension arms if you wanna slam your car to the ground and then some, so once again if you have the money just buy their whole suspension catalog, stick all the stuff on your car, then go get a good alignment and call it a day. That's just one route though, and an expensive one ~2500 ish just on suspension, if you spend enough time looking you can piece together a pretty good setup for around 1500

LaMaR~

at the moment from this deployment im at about 5k in my savings, I have been searching the internet a bit, but with the lack of internet time I get in the desert its kind of hard to take time to do any real in depth research, Thats why I was asking..
BTW The desert sucks, cant wait to come back state side and see grass or even trees again..

Crazyirish
Car: Nothing noteworthy at the moment...

Are you looking to blow the whole 5k? Or are you looking to save some bux?

LaMaR~

Well I still have 3 months left out here, so I should be able to double the amount.
Where I am at right now, is coupe is sitting in the garage, when I get home I want to spend some money on a air compressor, and welder, I used to do bodywork and paintwork for a shop in NY before joining the military,

After that Start of the build will consist of stripping the car and fixing all rust, followed by the suspension, probably a custom cage and seats and harnesses, wheels is a must, and then order the RB25 motor and tranny, along with mounts, intercooler, exhaust, and all the small tid bits to get that running.

By the way I looked into the PBM suspension and it does look good. Im out of time again online though, so Ill have to look for more reviews on it tomorrow.
Thanks for the help so far though

LaMaR~

Just went through the pbm site, and have a few questions...

Can anyone explain the pros and cons of the following?

RUCA's
TOE RODS
TRACTION RODS
TENSION RODS
SUBFRAME COLLARS
SUBFRAME RISERS

poshatch
Car: p.o.s. 1990 240sx hatch

ill start by saying PSM= the s*** always and forever

those are all pros no cons...i wouldn't bother with the risers though...or are you asking what they do?

Crazyirish

RUCA's - Correct excessive rear camber when lowering
TOE RODS - Correct out of spec rear toe from lowering
TRACTION RODS - Correct more bad geometry from lowering (this answer is a cop out as I'm not entirely sure what aspect of suspension geometry this one alters :) )
TENSION RODS - Allows adjustment of front caster and replaces rediculous stock tension rod bushing for better feel while steering and braking
SUBFRAME COLLARS - Reduces wheel hop and general rear end stability problems cause by worn out stock bushings.
SUBFRAME RISERS - Compensates for changes in roll center caused by lowering.

Whether or not you need each piece is really dependent on your whole setup. Most people eventually pick up all of these except for the subframe risers. Those tend to be used mainly by the ultra slammed crowd.

poshatch
Car: p.o.s. 1990 240sx hatch

you know i never really got the concept of the risers maybe this is a good time to ask

like they space the subframe downward from the chasis? that would seem counter productive since lowering the subfram mounting point would worsen it since the end that connects to the upright is already way high on slammed car

like ive read that to compensate for proper geometry you got to either raise the subframe or lower the connecting point....

so yea...please explain cause im just not getting it haha

LaMaR~

thanks for the answers, I will probably order each of these pieces, and install each one seperatly so I can feel the difference, followed by a review...

Crazyirish

@poshatch: Subframe risers raise the subframe (hence the name riser :) )

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”