Supertech pistons?

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
lexcrob
Car: I get a different ride faster than I could update this.

Im actually asking for my rb20det but ive only heard of 1 rb guy using them and he never posted after install. Seems it ran like good so thats a good sign.

Ive seen bad reviews over on a miata forum said they broke one of them. Also saw on an evo froum that they broke one of them. Both reviews said it was under partial throttle low load and just out of nowhere.

I cant see there being that big of a difference between forged pistons as far as brand honestly. Im aware they are made of diff. alloys and what not more or less silcon content. blahh blahh.

Anybody running them?
Heard of success with them?
At best are they a good OEM replacement? <<as i cant source any for my rb20....

Razi
Car: Moo

Never heard of them busting. But then again, I rarely see anyone using them.

lexcrob

Razi good to hear from ya! That dang vortech FMU is still working like a champ on my buddies ka set up so thats 6 months on my old car.... like 1 1/2 yrs on his...... WOT WOT

Yea I cant imagine them being too bad but cp's run 850 supertech 620. Figured id make them an option save a little money that way I can grab ARP main studs too.

Wiseco said they can do custom made for 800- any bore or compression ratio i want.......

anyone else !?!?

Razi
Car: Moo

Good to hear!

Mazworx and 240sxmotoring has those pistons for a nicer price.
http://www.mazworx.com/products/engine/ ... e/pistons/
http://www.240sxmotoring.com/pistons1.html

JE and Wiseco seem to be nice pistons as well.

Since they're so similar, I'd decide which pistons to use based on what alloy they're made of, and what your power requirements are.
4032 ones have a bit more silicon, and they expand less so you can run a tighter piston to wall clearance, and it'll also have less piston slap noise when cold.
The trade off is, it's less ductile and can't handle as much power.

2618 alloy pistons are a bit harder, and you can't run as much of a gap because the expand slightly when warm, so you'll have a bit of noise on a cold start-up.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

I won't use pistons that have had documented failures. Supertech has had problems. Why roll the dice on something that can destroy you're entire block? I'd use factory pistons from a used block before I'd use Supertech.

How much power are you looking to crank out of the RB20? I was able to make over 400 reliably on stock internals. The key is having no detonation. I used a bunch of methanol. Something close to a 75/25 meth/water ratio. The RB20 is a great motor if you keep it cool and have no knock. Any knock at all and you'll eat pistons 5 and 6. I blew up quite a few, to the point that I was just swapping out the blown pistons with spare used slugs.

lexcrob

Id love too use some .20 or .40 over stockers I just cant find any. Called courtesy and they never got back to me twice....
I searched everywhere online even tried to get on japan and ausie ebay.......

Here's where im at !

lexcrob-rb20-build-t570809.html

Litteraly just txt'd guy to confirm to pick up his holset set up off here for 720$ shipped. hy35w with ebay manifold and bigger injectors... figured it was pretty good deal although ill be running stock trim on initial set up.

rb-classifieds-rb-engine-parts-only-t562695-30.html

Im looking for as much power as I can get for the money (dont care about lag really) I wanna walk my buddies SR powered kouki.
I dont want to get arp everything if i dont have to which I believe honestly CarlH is a touch too over the top about. Tried to be friendly over there on that subject or line bore mains and arp rod studs absolutely neccessary.

WDRacing

I wouldn't say they are necessary. I got all of my knowledge from the guys on Skylinesdownunder way back in the day. The HY35, what's the AR on the exhaust side?

liquid_cool
Car: 1990 240sx ka24de-T swap 8.6:1cr ,duelsprings ,ti retainers,supertech pistons,K1 H-beems balanced internals ect ect.

WDRacing wrote:I won't use pistons that have had documented failures. Supertech has had problems. Why roll the dice on something that can destroy you're entire block? I'd use factory pistons from a used block before I'd use Supertech.

How much power are you looking to crank out of the RB20? I was able to make over 400 reliably on stock internals. The key is having no detonation. I used a bunch of methanol. Something close to a 75/25 meth/water ratio. The RB20 is a great motor if you keep it cool and have no knock. Any knock at all and you'll eat pistons 5 and 6. I blew up quite a few, to the point that I was just swapping out the blown pistons with spare used slugs.
ive never had an issue bro..and ive used supertechs for 12 years now..they are hard to find in lower cr's thou..but quality wise..i swear by em,not at em. :yesnod

WDRacing

That's all well and good, but one user with no problems doesn't over rule other documented issues. When there are options that don't have known failures documented, I'll go with those.

Just my .02

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”