Super high oil preesure after oil change?

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
Nissan_Boy85
Car: 85 Nissan 720

So yesterday I changed my oil, added brake fluid, etc. and kept glancing at my oil pressure gauge on the drive home from Portland. No problem there. I glanced at it this morning headed to class and the gauge was about freaking maxed!!! It was reading about 90 psi. Got a bit farther down I-5, and it was reading normal preesure, and it continued to the rest of the drive. It seems to do this untill the motor heats up to a sertin temp. What the hell?!

Oh, I knocked my temp gauge sensor wire off and haven't put it back on yet. That couldn't cause this, could it?

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

is it acting different at all? my guess is there's something misreading but it could of course be more serious. and knocking the temp one off could possibly cause it... the electronics in these things like to get funky for no reason so even though it doesn't make much sense for the temp gauge to cause it... i wouldn't rule it out

flinterman2000
Car: 2000 Nissan Wingroad, 85 Datsun 720 Pick Up.

Is it an electrical or manual gauge. if its electric, a slack connection or surge in the signal could be the cause. If its manual, it could be a sticking pressure relief valve. The temp wire would not affect it.

Return to “Datsun 720”