Super charger kits without doing exhaust?

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
SATAN
Car: 1985 300zx heavily modded - 1984 Anniversary 300zx stock - 1990 Q45 stock

All of the super charger kits say they are 100% bolt on for the 350z/G35. None of them even hint at the fact that doing exhaust is a good idea. Does this mean that their power numbers are made utilizing the OEM 350z/G35 exhaust?

Obviously doing exhaust from the heads to the bumper is a damn good idea, but why don't they mention it?

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

The same reason they don't recommend an exhaust upgrade when you buy a turbo... It's assumed that anyone wanting more performance out of their car would already have the exhaust upgraded. Exhaust and intake are usually the first things that get done.

SATAN

PyR0NiAk wrote:The same reason they don't recommend an exhaust upgrade when you buy a turbo... It's assumed that anyone wanting more performance out of their car would already have the exhaust upgraded. Exhaust and intake are usually the first things that get done.
When adding a turbo, it is mandatory that exhaust is upgraded or at least modified. It is impossible to add a turbo without doing so.

So the companies that are selling $6000 supercharger kits are ASSUMING that the consumer buying their products already have the exhaust upgraded, even though they say it bolts onto a 100% OEM stock vehicle?They just assume that some guy who has enough money to drop a $6000 supercharger on his brand new 350/370z already knows engines in and out and is well aware that full exhaust should be done... Got it. Ok, no... Don't got it, that makes no sense at all. That would be the definition of "assumption is the mother of all F*** up's".

Just so people know, I did email the companies selling supercharger kits to ask them directly, but obviously they are closed till monday...

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

On the turbo upgrading the exhaust is not mandatory. There are kits that simply adapt the turbo to the existing manifold. And while they do require an adapter and a downpipe the rest of the exhaust before and aft can remain stock. Granted it would not allow you to get the full benefit of the turbo it’s not needed. The S130, Z31 and Z32 all had the same basic exhaust on their turbo models as their naturally aspirated counterparts. An upgrade was beneficial but not necessary. With the SC it’s much the same issue, you can pump more air in but to get the full benefit you’ll want to open up the exhaust, again not needed. I don’t think the manufacturers assume that you will get the exhaust, they are just trying to sell you 1 part at a time. There are kits that do not include intercoolers! Another item not needed but to get full benefit of the kit you want an intercooler. And lets face it this approach lets them advertise their products at a lower price, if they included the exhaust and intercooler the price would go up significantly.

SATAN

Well again, like I said, at the very least the exhaust has to be modified for a turbo.

But for the super charger kits I was thinking along the same lines as what you explained. Thank you for confirming my speculation.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Advertised performance numbers that Supercharger suppliers like ATI and Vortech quote are without any other bolt ons.As is their supplied "stock tune" BTW.

A couple years ago I spoke with the Senior Engineer from Vortech as I was driving a freshly Vorteched Car acroos the country on their "stock" split second tune and FMU, that come with the Vortech and he was a bit concerned over how many bolt ons I had, possibly leaning out the "stock" Vortech tune.

Of course he need not have worried IMO because the supplied "stock" Vortech tune is quite rich.

Specifically in answer to the OP an aftermarket exhaust wouldnt thorw the tune off in any sigificant way in his opnion.he was a bit concerned about the headers though and advised to stay out of boost until I have it fine tuned for my bolted set-up.

Fred..

SATAN

PalmerWMD wrote:Advertised performance numbers that Supercharger suppliers like ATI and Vortech quote are without any other bolt ons.As is their supplied "stock tune" BTW.

A couple years ago I spoke with the Senior Engineer from Vortech as I was driving a freshly Vorteched Car acroos the country on their "stock" split second tune and FMU, that come with the Vortech and he was a bit concerned over how many bolt ons I had, possibly leaning out the "stock" Vortech tune.

Of course he need not have worried IMO because the supplied "stock" Vortech tune is quite rich.

Specifically in answer to the OP an aftermarket exhaust wouldnt thorw the tune off in any sigificant way in his opnion.he was a bit concerned about the headers though and advised to stay out of boost until I have it fine tuned for my bolted set-up.

Fred..
This guy was the senior engineer and did not understand that adding headers and exhaust not only DOES NOT change your afr's, but also LESSENS your chance of detonation due to the decrease in back pressure?

Thank you for answering the question though. Kit numbers are from being bolted onto a 100% stock vehicle. Got it.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

He wasnt opposed to adding those.Everyone knows its a good idea w/ an SC.

But if he was concered about the increase in flow from headers ( he didnt worry about exhaust) I wasnt going to argue with him, given who he was, and was grateful for the info.

Also I think most would agree that anytime you change the airflow thru your motor you migth change your AFR's

terrycs

To me,100% bolt on simply means it can be attached to the motor without anything else or without mods.

A "complete turnkey kit" would probably be closer to what you have in mind, but it will still be far from ideal.

The truth is there is no such thing as a "complete turnkey kit" because it is subject to interpretation by different people. Personally, I would not consider a kit complete turnkey unless the car is instrumented with a full sensor package AND it includes a dyno tune.

wa2good
Car: too many to list

Not 100% clear on the point, or exact question posed in this thread.....at least at this point. However having seen, done, and installed, etc. MANY different kinds of SC'ers, turbo, and twin turbo kits on this VQ35 platform. I would have to agree with and relate to what Palmer and Terry are saying here the most.

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”