sunroof wont close

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
crubio
Car: cars, karate, reading

I tried to close my sunroof and it wouldant close. So I tried to close it with the hex wrench and it wouldant budge, I ended up stripping the hex nut and now I dont know what to do. Now what???

Thanks in advance

crubio

Professor_Mike

You will have to lower the motor and see if it is frozen, if not then there is a problem in the rail assembly. If this is the case INFINITI has a kit to repair most failures in the sunroof.

crubio
Car: cars, karate, reading

Took it in to Jerry Tucker, broken cable, it'll cost about a grand to repair. He got it closed and charged me zero. I'll fix it some time but I'll get a JWT TCU and ECU first. Thanks Jerry, that was quite cool. Jerry Tuckers All Import Service is top notch. If Atlanta's T3 can deliver half the service, with a straight up price, you all are as lucky as us out here in so cal.

crubio

http://www.jerrytucker.net/

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

So you let [allowed] the cable to break by not keeping the sunroof rails clean and lubricated. Allowing the slide to bind.

The motor contains a slip clutch to not allow excess force to be applied [when the rails are dirty,so as not to break the cable crimps. You gotta be careful in trying to manually close/open it.

If it won't close do a bit of cleaning and lubeing first!

You would be surprised at the amount of trash and dirt you find in sunroofs of every model and make.

Jberger

I think what Dennis means, is "ahhh, you did the same thing jberger did to his" ;)

Same $1000 estimate for repair on mine, I didn't bother with getting it fixed, especially in light of the need to remove the headliner. I don't have any squeaks now, and didn't wanna risk it.

Save your $$$ and buy the JWT combo, you will not regret it!

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

You would be amazed at the number of broken sunroofs of all brands and makes........this is one $1,000 option that keeps taking and taking ......thank goodness Lexus makes it an option except hard to find on the lots [need to order car without it].

911/Q45
Car: Autos, Fitness

Not to mention the headroom you lose and the weight you gain, very high on the center of gravity. My other car was special ordered with the standard sunroof deleted and no cash back for the privilege. Everyone thought I was nuts until their cars started getting creaks and leaks around the windshields from body flex. Much stiffer structure without the sunroof!

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”