Suitable alternative to Nissanmatic transmission fluid??

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Dinkydow
Car: cars

I am changing the transaxle fluid in my 06 M35X and live over a hundred miles from the nearest Nissan dealer and 360 miles from the nearest Infiniti dealer. The book asks for Nissanmatic, I went to Napa and they told me Dexron would work. Before I do this I want to know for sure. Can anybody help me on this? Thank you!

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Dinkydow wrote:I am changing the transaxle fluid in my 06 M35X and live over a hundred miles from the nearest Nissan dealer and 360 miles from the nearest Infiniti dealer. The book asks for Nissanmatic, I went to Napa and they told me Dexron would work. Before I do this I want to know for sure. Can anybody help me on this? Thank you!
Don't do it!!! Listening to NAPA on this topic (like most others, for what it is worth) is dangerous - they do not know the new Nissan transmission characteristics.

Using anything other than Nissan Fluid J will likely lead to transmission damage and will void your warranty for sure! I have confirmed this with Infiniti Corporate a long time back - on transmission failures, they will check to see what has been done to it!

This information is highlighted (in bold letters) in the Owner's Manual and in the Service Manuals in lots of places.

Z

Dinkydow

Thank you for your help. So nothing else for the transaxle, no Mobil 1 or red line Just Nissanmatic. That makes it hard unless you live in a larger city.

szh

Dinkydow wrote:no Mobil 1 or red line Just Nissanmatic.
Exactly right! Even the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is a problem. Note that there are some new suppliers who are making Fluid J equivalents apparently - I have not seen these yet though!
Dinkydow wrote:That makes it hard unless you live in a larger city.
Unfortunately, that is true!

Z

Dinkydow

Thank You for your help. I am glad I asked. Do you know if Nissan makes a synthetic transmission fluid?

szh

Dinkydow wrote:Do you know if Nissan makes a synthetic transmission fluid?
I don't know the answer to that question, unfortunately!

One other clarification that I need to add to my previous posts. Somebody told me via e-mail that the "transfer" fluid is different from the "transmission" fluid used in the M35, so I looked at the reference they mentioned.

Indeed, the transmission fluid has to be Nissan Matic J (for the warranty to remain in effect), but the transfer fluid can be Nissan Matic D or equivalent. So, depending on which fluid you were talking about (I had interpreted your question as transmission), you can use J or D (or D equivalent) ATF.

It is worth looking at the AT and MA sections of the Infiniti M Service Manual (available for download from http://www.techinfo.com/infiniti for a small $20 for one day access) for all this information.

Z

Tony407
Car: 2007 Diamond Graphite Infiniti M45 Sport

Dinkydow wrote:Thank you for your help. So nothing else for the transaxle, no Mobil 1 or red line Just Nissanmatic. That makes it hard unless you live in a larger city.
I can't imagine why Mobil1 wouldn't be more than sufficient. I went with Amsoil in my Maxima. I would assume that both of these are far superior to the Nissan stuff. The service dept at the dealership didn't mention anything about warranty issues and they did the ATF change for me.

Tony

infinititech1

most new infinitis HAVE to have matic-j

and same with nissan..that HAVE matic-k i believe it is

szh

Tony407 wrote:I can't imagine why Mobil1 wouldn't be more than sufficient. I went with Amsoil in my Maxima. I would assume that both of these are far superior to the Nissan stuff. The service dept at the dealership didn't mention anything about warranty issues and they did the ATF change for me.

Tony
The new Nissan / Infiniti automatic transmission in these new Nissan and Infiniti models (I do not know about the Maxima) REQUIRES the new Nissan ATF Fluid J formulation for proper operation and to maintain the warranty - period (I have confirmed this with Infiniti corporate in the past).

If your dealership used something other than Fluid J, then they are responsible to change it for you again with the correct fluid. Before any potential damage or longevity reduction happens.

If you end up with a transmission failure, Infiniti will not honor the warranty for it if you used anything other than Fluid J! This is clearly mentioned in the Users Manual (in bold text) and in numerous places in the Service Manual (in equally bold text).

Z

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”