Suggestions you'd give a 2002 Q45 buyer

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
MJM

Hello,

I'm visiting the board because I'm thinking about jumping ship and buying an Infiniti Q45. I've searched your board for topics on 2002 problems or areas to watch out for but haven't found much. (Maybe this answers my question?)

I'll be coming out of a '99 Benz CL500 that has given me some problems. The technology of the Q45 really has my interest, but worried about all of these systems after warranty runs out.

Would anyone please be kind enough to share some common problems with this car or things to watch? The closest Infiniti dealer is 100 miles away and I've never worked with them so some input about this car would be helpful. I've found a few owners complain about AC problems and oil burning, are these wide spread issues? (Funny enough the same issues I had with my CL)

I'm looking at a 2002 Q45 with the Premium Package and about 66,000 miles.

Thank you to everyone.

Matthew

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Lotta miles, so I would get the Infiniti extended warranty from a dealer.

Only problem is some VK45DE had rings that didn't seat properly, so look out for high oil consumption. Get the dealer performed service history from the dealer.

Secondly, Infiniti as a rule uses lighter, thinner rotors than BMW, Mercedes and Lexus, so trueing more frequently is required.

I have seen some 2003 in the high twenties with less miles.

DAEDALUS
Car: 1990 Q45

The high oil consumption scares me too. There's really no way to inspect for it. Seems to be a problem on a small percentage, but it's a gamble all the same. Rear power sunshade is a bit flimsy, make sure it works and sounds OK. AC is a new one to me. I second the reco to find one with an extended warranty. 100k and 7 years I think. Unless you're in a real hurry take your time and keep shopping. The market for used Qs seems to be tanking harder than the used car market in general. The one you described will probably be below $20k by the end of the year.

Jesda

Search for posts by "Jason B" about the throttle update for the 02 Q. A software upgrade improves drive-by-wire throttle response noticeably, which improves off-the-line acceleration. Should be listed as a recall; your dealer may be unaware of it.

I second what Daedalus says about taking your time. There's quite a number of them in excellent condition to choose from nationwide.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Jesda wrote:Search for posts by "Jason B" about the throttle update for the 02 Q. A software upgrade improves drive-by-wire throttle response noticeably, which improves off-the-line acceleration. Should be listed as a recall; your dealer may be unaware of it.

I second what Daedalus says about taking your time. There's quite a number of them in excellent condition to choose from nationwide.
Emphasis on the nation wide thing... Dont be lazy and settle for one locally.... Fortuntaely we're talking about 3 year old cars and not G50s so that makes it a little easier, but the 02s are even somewhat rare...

I wouldnt worry too much, nissan has a good reputation (unlike the germans) with building solid electronics..... you just have to watch out for wear and tear items (suspension[struts, bushings] brakes, tires, wheels, and so on)

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Actually there is a throttle pedal/arm update and a software update for the TCM.

If you are a satellite radio fan, you will need a 2003 with a VIN Serial Number (last six digits)of -102148 or greater for the factory pre-wire.

The above updates do not apply to the 2003 model. Several changes were made to this year, including a lsightly lower differential of 3.13 final drive for better acceleration.
Modified by maxnix at 10:28 AM 8/23/2005

DuDro
Car: 2003 Q45

I would take your time and shop around. I shopped for about a two weeks and found one 2 hours away that was an AMAZING deal.

Check out eBay. There appears to be close to 20 cars on there right now. After researching the differences between the 2002 and 2003 cars, I decided to go with the 2003 model year.

Good luck with your car search!

P.S.About the brake rotors.....

I mentioned to my local dealer (I didn't buy from them) that I noticed some wobble and that my rotors were probably warped, so they checked it out. They turned my rotors and replaced all the pads for FREE!!!

I was thoroughly impressed with their level of service. I once only drove German and British luxury cars, but now I am sold on the Japanese cars for their quality, reliability, and service!

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

that is the good thing about infiniti, they have the same issues with the G35 so brake pads and rotors are covered under factory warranty, whereas most arent (unless NOT due to wear).....

DuDro
Car: 2003 Q45

maxnix wrote:
If you are a satellite radio fan, you will need a 2003 with a VIN Serial Number (last six digits)of -102148 or greater for the factory pre-wire.

Modified by maxnix at 10:28 AM 8/23/2005
CRAP! My VIN ends in 102009! Where did you find this information? If I pull away the trunk lining, what should I look for to determine whether my car was pre-wired for satellite radio.

Please advise...Thanks!

MJM

Hello,

Thank you to everyone for the input. I'll try and find an '02 or '03 with extended warranty. I'm hoping the Q45 is capable of the long haul past 100k miles.

Thanks,

Matthew

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

MJM wrote:Hello,

Thank you to everyone for the input. I'll try and find an '02 or '03 with extended warranty. I'm hoping the Q45 is capable of the long haul past 100k miles.

Thanks,

Matthew
Oh it will, and longer if cared for properly early in its life. Sometimes it's better to go with a private party who is compulsive about car care and pay the premium.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”