Suggestions for m35

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
m35xbaby

Just bought a 2006 m35x in October. I have logged about 2,500 miles on it and am ecstatic about it. However, i think there are a couple of things Infiniti might think about for later models. What are your thoughts?

1) I have the Premiuim package with the Mobile Entertainment System. I think it's great, but my sister's entertainment system on her Lexus LX 470 is definitely superior. For one, the touch screen is a lot more user friendly and doesn't grey out half as frequently as mine. I can't even pop the rear dvd down or up when the car is in motion. I am also a little dissapointed with the 14 speaker sound system. I guess I expected too much from Bose. I have heard much better sound quality on less expensive systems.

2) The side mirrors tilt down when in reverse. This is a real hassle in city parking. I didn't realize how often I use the side mirrors to look back when looking at an open spot. The tilt down feature makes the mirrors useless for parking. Also, they don't electronically flip close like the MB and BMW's. A great feature, especially in the city.

3) Sunshades for rear passengers would be great.

4) How about a wood steering wheel as an option like in the Lexus'? Looks and feels great!

Other than that, a dream car!!! Finally, after gentle driving, broke the car in and have hit the triple digits without pressing the pedal. What a fantastic car. Can't wait until later models and see what kind of adjustments they make.

See you guys!

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Welcome to NICO!

Since I don't have the current gen M, I will leave your questions for others to correctly answer, but I have some comments about some of them.

2) I think the side mirror tilt-down on reverse can be disengaged. At least, some of the older Infiniti Q's had that capability. You may want to search the manual for this and see if it is possible ...

3) Gentle tinting is an alternative to sunshades. I say "gentle", because I overdid it on my old Q45 (90% blocking on rear glass) and it became a bit dangerous at night. On my wife's car, a 50% darkening on the rear glass and 90% on the rear side ports (non-opening) made all the difference!

Z

tkeskic
Car: 2006 M35x Premium with "Aero Package" + 2010 QX56 AWD 7 Seat/Premium + 2007 MB ML320cdi

szhosain wrote:2) I think the side mirror tilt-down on reverse can be disengaged. At least, some of the older Infiniti Q's had that capability. You may want to search the manual for this and see if it is possible ...Z
Yes the tilt down an be disabled, all you have to do is have the power mirror selector in the middle (ie, not selecting either right or left, and it will not tilt down any mirror;tk

m35xbaby

wow!Thanks for the quick and useful reply. I didn't know it could be disengaged. I feel like I learn something new about my M every day.

How about turn signals or puddle lights for future M's?

tkeskic
Car: 2006 M35x Premium with "Aero Package" + 2010 QX56 AWD 7 Seat/Premium + 2007 MB ML320cdi

m35xbaby wrote:wow!Thanks for the quick and useful reply. I didn't know it could be disengaged. I feel like I learn something new about my M every day.

How about turn signals or puddle lights for future M's?
Your welcome;

I'm not sure what "turn signals or puddle lights" are - so I'll have to leave that to someone else...tk

m35xbaby

I meant turn signals on the side mirrors and puddle lights are lights under the side mirrors that turn on when you approach the car or open the doors. (spotlights for puddles)

nicolasj
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 (non-sport)

Can you elaborate about what you don't like about the sound system? What less expensive systems are you talking about? How did they sound "better"?

tkeskic

m35xbaby wrote:I meant turn signals on the side mirrors and puddle lights are lights under the side mirrors that turn on when you approach the car or open the doors. (spotlights for puddles)
makes Sense now... I think the side mirrors wit the LED's in them with the arrow may be an interesting way of doing that;

Not sure how you would do the puddle lights, a light under the car may work there, they have kits that you can add to the car that work while they are driving, and can be linked to the "keyless" (ie, tail lights blinking etc) - that may be cool to have a blue or red light light up under the car when you unlock it.... it would have ot be after market at this point...tk

tkeskic

nicolasj wrote:Can you elaborate about what you don't like about the sound system? What less expensive systems are you talking about? How did they sound "better"?
From my point of view, I like the 5.1 in the M, but its not as good as the Acura's 5.1 system...tk

nicolasj
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 (non-sport)

"is not as good" does not mean anything if you don't describe what you actually find to be better on the Acura system (they are both Bose by the way), as all of this is really subjective. Have you listened to both systems in the same conditions (high volume, low volume, while driving, car stopped, etc.)? Have you tried the same type of media (DVD-Audio, regular CDs, etc.)? Where the systems set to the factory settings? There are so many parameters to take into account...

superjv1080
Car: M45 + FX35

I haven't listened to the Acura 5.1 but I've been quite pleased with the BOSE 5.1 in my new M45. An audio buff friend of mine found the sound to quite amazing.

I also would be interested to know the details of what makes it subpar to others. Not saying it couldn't be but I like to learn.

Is is overall sound quality? The surround speakers? Certain speakers? Lack of manual tweaking of system?

larry.contrisciano
Car: Infiniti M35 sport 06' and Acura TL 04'

superjv1080 wrote:I haven't listened to the Acura 5.1 but I've been quite pleased with the BOSE 5.1 in my new M45. An audio buff friend of mine found the sound to quite amazing.

I also would be interested to know the details of what makes it subpar to others. Not saying it couldn't be but I like to learn.

Is is overall sound quality? The surround speakers? Certain speakers? Lack of manual tweaking of system?
Hi folks, I have not posted in awhile, so my name is Larry and I have a 06' M35 sport, with the 5.1 Bose system in it too. I wanted to throw my vote in as I also have a Acura TL with the Bose 5.1. I think that both cars sound great when using the 5.1 system with SDCD or DVD Audio. (Try Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, in SDCD). As far as a comparsion, when NOT USING a DVD and just playing a CD in the stack or radio, I find that the M35's stereo falls way short of the Acura's. In fact, the basic Bose system in the M35 falls short of any other stereo system in my recent leases. When playing the DVD/5.1 system I think thay both sound crisp and clean at any range. (PS: I never push any stereo to the max volume setting). Happy New Year, ljc

superjv1080

Maybe I'm just easily amazed with this system being my first 5.1 capable car. I can say I'm not all that impressed with my wife's 2004 FX35 BOSE system. She doesn't mind since she doesn't listen to music too much or too loud.

I've had my new M for 9 days and have listened mostly to DVD-Audio and am loving it. As for SAT or CD, I'm liking the Center Point to give a better sound stage vs. most other cars I've been in where you mostly hear the audio from the front. I'm only going half way on the volume. My last car had a center speaker on the dash(Mitsu Eclipse with Infinity system) which was an improvement over standard factory stereos. I still put in a sub to even out the lows.

So I can't say I've been able to test better factory systems but I'm satisfied with what I have compared to having to go the aftermarket route.

tkeskic

nicolasj wrote:"is not as good" does not mean anything if you don't describe what you actually find to be better on the Acura system (they are both Bose by the way), as all of this is really subjective. Have you listened to both systems in the same conditions (high volume, low volume, while driving, car stopped, etc.)? Have you tried the same type of media (DVD-Audio, regular CDs, etc.)? Where the systems set to the factory settings? There are so many parameters to take into account...
I'm no audio expert, so I cant give you all the technical parts of the audio that made it better or worse;I liked the fact it sounded more "real" and full of what I belive the full low to high range.

I actually have a high end home theatre, with a Harmon Kardon and the wiz bang crap you stick in a theatre thats been properly setup for the design of the room and calibrated exactly by a true audio expert.

When I listen to the same DVD-A in the Infini, its great (dont get me wrong it is great) and then plan it in an Acura, then in my properly certified 5.1/DTS theatre the Infiniti leaves something to be desired, while the acura seems to be a much closer match to my ears;

I think the biggest problem with the Infini is lack of a decent sub. the clarity of the hi parts is great, mid range is decent (probbaly the same as the acura's and my theatre).

I think the part that seems off to me is the low's, the sub is there and you can here in the infiniti, but its just not like the other subs I've become use to.

I've tried both cars at factory setting (working assumption being that the sound engineers made this the "ideal" for the system. then I tried moving the base and treble around to get a better sound. I also turned off centre point, audio pilot doesnt seem to do anything unless your moving (I can only hear the sound changes when the car is moving, or a window is down etc - this system does compensate very well).

As with many things in life, audio is subjective, the infiniti is by no means something to be set aside as "poor" its just in the world of of the best audio systems, its amoung them, just closer to the bottom of the best.

With that said, Its a great system. and when it does come to standard radio or even sat radio, or a standard CD, this system is much worse than most in the "best of the best" audio systems in cars. it almost seems like its built for 5.1 only, and stereo was not implemented as good as it could have been.

Again, audio is subjective to most people. I'd be very interested in hearing an opinion from someone that does certifications for THX and the sort - those people have a large background of different systems to draw from, mine is limited to three 5.1 systems - and my 'education' in this field is limited.
Modified by tkeskic at 11:10 AM 12/27/2005

tkeskic

larry.contrisciano wrote: As far as a comparsion, when NOT USING a DVD and just playing a CD in the stack or radio, I find that the M35's stereo falls way short of the Acura's. In fact, the basic Bose system in the M35 falls short of any other stereo system in my recent leases.
Larry;I agree with your eval of the basics of this system. I cant put my fingers on exact issues with standard audio streams.. but there is something that needs work there...

BTW; they should allow the system to memorize the settings for each source, this would be helpfull! and also the drivers memory should understand what cell phone is paired with what driver... just makes sense to do this...

tkeskic

superjv1080 wrote:Maybe I'm just easily amazed with this system being my first 5.1 capable car. I can say I'm not all that impressed with my wife's 2004 FX35 BOSE system. She doesn't mind since she doesn't listen to music too much or too loud.
it is an impressive system, and for being your first 5.1 system you could have made better choices - but who buys a car based on the stereo alone! its a great car with a better than almost all other stereo system.
superjv1080 wrote:As for SAT or CD, I'm liking the Center Point to give a better sound stage vs. most other cars I've been in where you mostly hear the audio from the front. I'm only going half way on the volume. My last car had a center speaker on the dash(Mitsu Eclipse with Infinity system) which was an improvement over standard factory stereos. I still put in a sub to even out the lows.
Centre point is helpfull - and I' glad its there. You are also hitting hte nail on the head with the fact the audio is balanced very well from front to back, and each seat in the car performs very uniform; Bose did a good job with that. As for the sub, I think thats whats still missing in the M's. nothing like a teanager would want, but a decent sub for a good low range would be a nice to add on toy...
superjv1080 wrote:So I can't say I've been able to test better factory systems but I'm satisfied with what I have compared to having to go the aftermarket route.
I've not seen any aftermarket kits for 5.1 - but this makes sense that the quality would suffer. The Bose guys did a good job placing the speakers - they had the manafactures buy in on where they could put them! this makes a bid differance.

Thanks for sharing your views...tk

superjv1080

tkeskic wrote:it is an impressive system, and for being your first 5.1 system you could have made better choices - but who buys a car based on the stereo alone! its a great car with a better than almost all other stereo system.
True, the choice was the overall car vs. the 5.1. Although it was a part of the sell factor among many. I considered the Acura RL that has received good marks but the exterior did nothing for me. I've loved the Acura TL since it came out but I see so many every day (speaks well of the car) but I really like something new and less ordinary (such as the FX). I also wanted to experience a V8.
tkeskic wrote:Centre point is helpfull - and I' glad its there. You are also hitting hte nail on the head with the fact the audio is balanced very well from front to back, and each seat in the car performs very uniform; Bose did a good job with that. As for the sub, I think thats whats still missing in the M's. nothing like a teanager would want, but a decent sub for a good low range would be a nice to add on toy...
Amen brother! I know this thing has a sub (quite better than my FX35 w/BOSE) but when you look in the trunk you wonder where it is. I have a sub from my last car but haven't decided yet to install it. It will be ~ $200 to put it in and I have a 39 month lease. I don't want a trunk shaking, hear it down the block thump-in-the-trunk. But I haven't made the move for the install.
tkeskic wrote:I've not seen any aftermarket kits for 5.1 - but this makes sense that the quality would suffer. The Bose guys did a good job placing the speakers - they had the manafactures buy in on where they could put them! this makes a bid differance.
The aftermarket route would have been buying some car without an upgraded audio system and building the system all aftermarket (deck, speakers, amps....). I was about to do that with my former car before deciding to get a new one. With all the packages now days, it seems hard to pass up the upgraded audio system without missing other options in the process. I have seen some good aftermarket work on G35s though.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Although I am an audiophile, I have to admit that I don't worry about the sound quality in the cars that I have owned. Because the external influences (road noise, engine noise, traffic noise, etc.) are hindrances to true enjoyment of music in a car.

So, I am satisfied with the Bose system in my 2003 M45 ... I reserve my audio dollars for my home audio system! Where I can enjoy music without other distractions and sound quality degradations.

Needless to say, I do understand that others may disagree with this viewpoint, so please do feel free to disregard my comments!

Z

Intermezzo
Car: M35 Sport

The sound system in my '06 M35 Sport is not very good at all either. In fact, I was very disappointed in the way it sounded. The sound quality doesn't come close to the sound quality in my wife's previously owned '01 3-Series as well as the '04 Audi A4 she currently owns.

tkeskic

m35xbaby wrote:How about turn signals or puddle lights for future M's?
Turnlights can be ordered from this site, its an OEM imported from Japan for this Car;http://www.burtmanindustries.c...rrors

saxman28
Car: Infiniti M35x 2006 (Premium Package)

Hi,

the side mirrors (being lowered in reverse) on my new 2006 m35x (Premium Package) is easily disengaged when the switch for those mirrors are kept in the middle. Only one mirror of the two will face down when in reverse and NOT both. It depends upon whether the switch is set to left or right.

The bigger issue is the Bluetooth quality this car is offering (incoming as welll as outgoing).

Alan Russell

superjv1080

saxman28 wrote:The bigger issue is the Bluetooth quality this car is offering (incoming as welll as outgoing).
I just got my new RAZR V3c yesterday and so far it's been great. The sound through the speakers is better than I got testing my friend's Treo 650. I think there's a forum on here about the bluetooth quality/issues.

And welcome to the forums! There seems to be alot of new Ms this Holiday season.

lakesailor
Car: M35

tkeskic wrote:
Larry;I agree with your eval of the basics of this system. I cant put my fingers on exact issues with standard audio streams.. but there is something that needs work there...
I agree as well. With balance and fade set in the middle, listening to satellite radio, FM radio, or CD, all the sound seems to be coming from the center dashboard speaker, and it is not impressive. It is almost as if Mono were selected. This is with the Bose system on M35 Sport 06.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”