Suggested Vehicle for a middle-class Realtor

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

I am just wrapping up Real Estate school to obtain my Florida Real Estate license. However, I did some digging in the IRS web pages, and my current personal vehicle, 2017 Acura MDX, will not fit the requirements. Personal mileage would be about the same amount I put on my 2016 Rogue in a year. With this, I started to look on the market, both new and used. I will be financing since I got a thin credit history and would like to eventually buy a house under my name without my father helping me at all. I got a credit score of 750 if that helps, and have a successful year of paying off my bills.

Now going onto my thread. I set a MAX OTD budget of $30k, and I will turn down a deal if its even $0.01 over that budget limit (pretty sure Credit Unions would give me a $50k limit, as my father got that limit as well 2-months after moving to the USA back in 1999). I am still in my early stages of research. So far my ideal/target market is the middle-class. Houses I am expecting to be selling/buying for clients would range from overpriced condos & townhomes ($300k) to a max of $1 Million single-family houses (every real estate property in FL shot up in value recently). I compiled a list of vehicles, but need input from you guys as to whether these vehicles would make me loose or gain clients, if they scream flashy or trust-worthy realtor, and also from your personal experiences.

1) 2016 or 2017 Lexus ES (300h or 350)
2) 2021 Toyota Camry SE
3) Another 2017 Acura MDX
4) 2021 Honda CRV Hybrid (not fond of the 1.5T found in the non-hybrid).
5) 2021 Ford Edge (SEL or Titanium, whatever comes in my budget).
6) 2017 or 2018 BMW 320i sedan
7) 2015-2017 Mercedes Benz E350
8) 2021 Nissan Rogue (ONLY IF Nissan addresses multiple issues I experienced from the 2019).
9) 2016 or 2017 Lexus RX 350
10) 2016-2018 Honda Pilot EX-L (has the 6spd AT, not the ZF 9-spd).

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Given the combination of your poor driving record, your young age, and the large distances you plan to travel, you face significantly higher costs if you try to buy/insure a late model vehicle yourself rather than using your current parentally gifted vehicle and staying on their insurance policy. It's, roomy comfortable, reliable, and presumably paid for, leaving you more of that money from which you have access for more important life expenses coming up. The old real estate "rule of thumb" was for the agent to drive a vehicle that suggests he/she can at least afford the house being sold. That's not actually a set-in-stone rule, especially now, in the age of covid, when more is done on-line, and you tend to meet more customers directly at a prospective property instead of driving them everywhere. But given the price range you mentioned, your parent's MDX is fine and appropriate. And yes, I know some real estate folks. It's more your personality and your word that will gain/lose customers, and less the car you drive. Food for thought.

datechboss101

Bubba1 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:28 am
Given the combination of your poor driving record, your young age, and the large distances you plan to travel, you face significantly higher costs if you try to buy/insure a late model vehicle yourself rather than using your current parentally gifted vehicle and staying on their insurance policy. It's, roomy comfortable, reliable, and presumably paid for, leaving you more of that money from which you have access for more important life expenses coming up. The old real estate "rule of thumb" was for the agent to drive a vehicle that suggests he/she can at least afford the house being sold. That's not actually a set-in-stone rule, especially now, in the age of covid, when more is done on-line, and you tend to meet more customers directly at a prospective property instead of driving them everywhere. But given the price range you mentioned, your parent's MDX is fine and appropriate. And yes, I know some real estate folks. It's more your personality and your word that will gain/lose customers, and less the car you drive. Food for thought.
It would be my parent's IF the title was still under my dad's name, which it isn't. The vehicle is under my name and on my own insurance, not my parents, and its paid off on day 1, unlike the 2016. I got a price quote on the insurance side of things for a brand new vehicle under lease alongside the MDX, it is still way below 90% of most insurance companies. I did found some job postings where the job description (in a post-covid world and current) said drive clients to house showings (something along the lines); I am not looking at applying to that specific position, since its kinda far from the specific area that I am looking at. If 2020 never happened, I would have used the 2016 Rogue without a word, since its a perfect all around vehicle and taken so much abuse from me (that vehicle was pretty dang reliable).

Right now, I am paying $2300 for 6 months (this includes the 1st year of the three year of surcharge). My next two policy premiums would be in the neighborhood of $2700. But I would have to get lower mileage on that time, due to undergrad being done for me. Fuel costs is going to be less by a lot since I have been using 87 on the MDX and these other options would also use 87. And I am no stranger for paying $4k just in gasoline. I created this thread because of the findings from the IRS that I read on, since I am looking at having few businesses, where majority of the miles put on the MDX would be personal, and I wouldn't be able to deduct them on tax purposes. And surely in no way, would my parents and me will allow our POS 2019 Rogue as the family vehicle (I literally cannot trust that vehicle at all, even mechanically, unlike the other two Nissans we owned). Honestly, I would still have to use the MDX for the first few months; but, since its a beige interior, I am personally having a tough time on cleaning the seats to not look dirty (unfortunately, the driver seat has started to loose the beige color; never had this issue with the Black and Grey interior color).

Also, since the MDX was involved in two rear ends, latest one was a hit and run (I really hate 2020 with guts), the rear bumper is cosmetically destroyed (that's what the body shop advisor told me), and I still haven't fixed it yet. What would be the best option to clean the beige seats and not loose the beige color?

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I find it hard to believe a 2017 MDX doesn't fit "the requirements." What requirements?

I'll check out of this thread early, since I don't have a whole lot of helpful advice for ANYONE seriously considering going $30k+ in debt for a depreciating asset while simultaneously entertaining concerns over an irrelevant (and miniscule) mileage deduction.

datechboss101

AZhitman wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:55 pm
I find it hard to believe a 2017 MDX doesn't fit "the requirements." What requirements?

I'll check out of this thread early, since I don't have a whole lot of helpful advice for ANYONE seriously considering going $30k+ in debt for a depreciating asset while simultaneously entertaining concerns over an irrelevant (and miniscule) mileage deduction.
I made my mind up Greg! I finally was able to edit my class schedule to bypass that, and not have any need to drive down to campus anymore for this year unless they open it up completely before I graduate. But eventually, I will need to buy something as a business vehicle since I will be obtaining my brokers license in 2 years, and will operate a brokerage and property management. Also, its something to improve my thin credit history.

Jesda

A super clean copy of these:

RX
ES
Avalon

My parents bought a pair of ten year old RX's last year, both one owner local cars from a local Lexus dealer with a complete service history. Very boring, very well made and dependable.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Real estate license =/= Realtor... but you probably already knew that. ;)

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Realtor I bought my house through drove a silver bangle 530i. Ugly but fun, nice for clients.

datechboss101

Gave this list a nice thought. I eventually would need a cheap daily. I kind of narrowed the list down to Lexus (mid 00's era ES, GX, and LX).

We went to a few house showings and first thing I noticed was these realtors were driving Benzs, Audis, and BMWs left and right, with the occasional Lexus RX into that mix. Knowing how reliable Lexus is, and knowing there isn't much difference in the product lineup for certain models, I believe I can get one for less than the price of a new Nissan econobox. I am personally liking the direction Nissan is going towards (post Carlos Ghosn era), which made me to re-evaluate my view points of this brand.

I also thought about using the MDX; but then, since I started modding it, its became more of a project vehicle than reasonable daily driver. I already got slack from the Acura forums for being an idiot for casually looking to drop $30k+ into the firepit just for custom cosmetic modifications. But then, again, most of them want to see the build too, so I'm at crossroads.

AZhitman
Administrator

Our '11 LS460L is a perfect agent car. $76k new, and I got a pristine one for $15k with 92k miles on it.

No issues in our two years of ownership. Flies under the radar, fast as hell, has an enormous back seat, loaded with options, and is near-silent at freeway speeds.

datechboss101

Here's what I learned about some realtors that Drive's Mercedes: Unfortunately, they present themselves very unprofessional and very pushy. Not sure why they wanted to act like rich snobs. And this one realtor is the only selling realtor in a particular neighborhood, and I swear she violated some Florida Real Estate laws by not showing us a house that we asked her to show (houses that she is the listing agent), and tried to one up my mom (it ain't easy to be a stay at home parent).
AZhitman wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:07 pm
Our '11 LS460L is a perfect agent car. $76k new, and I got a pristine one for $15k with 92k miles on it.

No issues in our two years of ownership. Flies under the radar, fast as hell, has an enormous back seat, loaded with options, and is near-silent at freeway speeds.
Why did I not think about the LS before? Thank you so much Greg! This is gonna be a hard decision, but eventually I will find something that checks the boxes. Only thing: What should I look for other than suspension wear and tear, alignment, and body work?

AZhitman
Administrator

Service history, under 100k miles, and interior wear. It's a great rig, and I guarantee you no client cares what you drive, as long as you're good at your job. In fact, driving clients around is a thing of the past.... most meet at the property.

...and, because it's important: Agent, not Realtor. Not interchangeable terms. ;)

MikeRL411
Car: 1997J30T, 1967RL411

Florida ? Good air conditioner.

Alaska ? Good heater.

Return to “General Chat”