Sudden loss of power

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
feralkitten
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

Hello and thanks in advance for any information.

I own a 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD with 97000 miles. This is my third nissan. I have never had any major issues with any of them, and the two previous cars lasted over 200k miles.

Having said that i've had an issue that has popped up twice now and i seem to be at a loss as to what is wrong. In two separate instances i'll be driving down the interstate (60-70mph) and have a sudden and drastic loss of power. No matter how hard i press the accelerator i bounce between 1000 and 2000 rpms. This will drop me from interstate speeds to below the minimum speed (40) pretty quick and i have to pull off the road.

Just hearing that, i would think it is a transmission problem. However, BOTH times after i got the car off the road, if i turn the car off, let it sit for 10 seconds, and restart it, it will work just fine.

The first time it happened i thought it was a fluke. Maybe a clogged line or something that worked it's way out. But it happened again on my way to work this morning so there is apparently a problem just extremely intermittent. It was over a month between the two instances.

Obviously having to pull off the interstate and restart your car isn't an optimal situation, so does anyone have any thoughts?

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

#1. brake pedal sensor. if its broken, it doesn't register as you letting go of the brake pedal, so the tranny still thinks you are still breaking/slowing down and reacts appropriately. this has also been a common problem.

#2. too high of fluid level in the tranny, that triggers "fail safe".

#3. aging fluid that's thinned out enough with the heat, to cause #2. it usually comes driving during really hot climates, hills, and or traffic; and the tranny simply triggers "fail safe" due to the heat. is this a bad thing? no... because id rather fail-safe than melt-down.

any check engine lights? read more here: post6516677.html

feralkitten

1.) It was at interstate speeds, at 5:30 in the morning so there was no braking involved. I considered a sensor, maybe one for the accelerator (if it has one) since a "reboot" fixed it.

2.) Outside of having the fluids checked when i have my oil changed, i haven't added any transmission fluid.

3.) This might be it. I live in Alabama, so it does get hot. The first time it happened i was on a 5 hour drive. However this morning it was cool (45 degrees) and i had driven less than 5 miles.

I will be taking it to the shop, but what should i tell the mechanic to look for and/or fix?

Thanks again for the response.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

feralkitten wrote:1.) It was at interstate speeds, at 5:30 in the morning so there was no braking involved. I considered a sensor, maybe one for the accelerator (if it has one) since a "reboot" fixed it.
turning off a car, doesnt reboot it. disconnecting the battery and allowing any memory to die does.
2.) Outside of having the fluids checked when i have my oil changed, i haven't added any transmission fluid.
your CVT transmission cant be checked without a special expensive nissan computer. most mechanics refuse to even touch a cvt (just to check the fluid) unless they are replacing it; and the customer is aware of all the risks involved.
I will be taking it to the shop, but what should i tell the mechanic to look for and/or fix?
would you tell a DR what to heal or fix? i would make sure they NEVER touch your transmission. you have a 10year, 120k warranty on it free from the factory. (see: nissanassist.com)

i would start by replacing the brake pedal sensor: fix-for-no-power-from-dead-stop-issue-t544443.html
its easy enough for you to do yourself.

feralkitten

>would you tell a DR what to heal or fix?

Yes. My wife is a doctor, as is my sister, and I work in IT doing Electronic Medical Records for a major hospital. I have a very good idea what is wrong before actually stepping foot inside a doctor's office. I do understand your point though. Let a professional do his/her job, rather than the peanut gallery. I just happened to be MUCH more versed in Healthcare than i am with the health of my car. I can change my oil, tires, brakes and that is about it.

I planned on taking it to the Nissan shop, since i was worried it might be a transmission issue. I didn't want just anyone to touch the that.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of a warranty. I assumed i had one for 50k or 100k, but your information is much more concrete than my assumption.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

if you can do your brakes, you can easily change out the switch. its plug & play (right over the brake pedal) - i suggest changing that sensor over first. that might solve your issue.

BTW: boy did i use the wrong analogy with you lolol the whole family is in the medical field! hahah

Bishwo370
Car: 2013 Nissan Sentra

I guess, I have same issue.
I have nissan Sentra 2013, I took it second hand, I have already drove more than 4000km, yesterday while driving, Suddenly, Acceleration is not working or very slight acceleration while pressing very hard, RPM meter showing 3000 but no pickup at all. Only difference while it is during normal drive is I saw Sport light turned on in the display. But I know this car don't have sports mode, it is a basic model.

After parking safely, I turned off the Engine and turned on again after 10 second then it is normally working.

What may be happened? I got this situation twice till now. once last month and once yesterday.

Thanks & regards.

Return to “Rogue Forum”