Subframe Support Bolt Broken In Chassis.. Do I need to fix?

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
vereshchak
Car: 1990 300zx N/A
1990 300zx TT

Hello everyone,

I was upgrading my rear subframe assembly with energy bushings and adjustable suspension pieces. While I was removing my subframe, all 4 subframe support bolt heads snapped off leaving the bolt in the chassis. These are not the big studs that seat inside the bushings, these are for the little support collar that goes on the front mount of the rear subframe. I tried to use an EZ out extractor but the bolts are seized in there pretty well..

So my question is do I really need to have that little subframe support? I will drill them out if necessary but its just a big pain. Heres a link to the bolts im talking about.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/rear-susp ... -8839.html

rgregoryb
Car: 1992 300ZX 2+2 NA

I certainly would.

DCaff300ZX
Car: .
1993 CRP TT- Modified

Ditto.
I would liken it to leaving a lugnut off...not immediately a concern, but how long before something happens and if so, can you live with it being because you didn't do this?
Not the same but the point is- I accidentally forgot to final tighten lugs after dropping the car on my old Mustang as a kid, and was really wondering why the car suddenly felt really strange as I drove into my Buddy's driveway. I get out and WOW- the two driver's side wheels were about to come off the lugs and angled severely by then like massive camber as the two nuts each were gone, the other three were in varying stages of almost off as well (PS less so, all nuts on but all loose) and all in about 5 miles driving. I realized the they came off about 200 yards before his house from the start of that "weird feeling", and even found one of the nuts...anyway, yeah just do it.

Traviswurz
Car: 300ZX 1990 2+0

How did you fix this

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”