Sub amp questions

Post all your Nissan electronics, car audio and stereo questions here!
Yorb
Car: 1992 Nissan 240SX SE Fastback

I have a Phoenix Gold Tantrum 300.2 driving my dual 10" subs, and I'm wondering how best to tweak it for powerful bass. My head unit is an Aiwa CDC-X217 right now.I've had the system for probably 8 months, and have always loved the sound I got from it. Easily heard from a ways down the road. =) Recently, however, the subs started making squeaking and popping sounds so I took it in and had them send the amp off to be repaired (covered by warranty). The installer that looked at it seemed to think maxing the bass boost on the amp was a bad idea, and that's what had caused the amp to fail.Now the reason I had the bass boost cranked up was because I had read somewhere that it was better to boost bass on your amp and leave the head unit's EQ flat, which made sense to me since it's further down the line towards the subs, and after all I don't want my 4x6's getting more bass than they can handle just so that my subs sound good.Anyway, I got the repaired amp back today and put it back in, but I'm afraid to push the bass boost over halfway now! =( And the way it is now, there's barely any power. I can turn the stereo up as loud as I'd ever want it, and the mirrors don't even vibrate (a clear sign there isn't enough bass).For those of you that aren't familiar with the Tantrum 300.2, it has three adjustment knobs: bass (0 - 18 dB), sensitivity (4 - .2), and of course the frequency crossover (40 - 800 Hz).Does anybody know how I can go about getting more bass without using the bass boost, and without turning up the stereo so loud that the highs and mids deafen me? Thanks! I miss my thumps. =)

jin3000
Car: my car, car mutimedia, custom speaker and custom interior design

bass boost on the amp is not boosting not all the bass just a certain frequency turn your gain up for more bass also you mentioned a eq. is it a basic bass /treb set up or a presetstyle setup or is it a dsp unit as well.if you have a dsp then you can set your x over point for around 60htzyou can set it lower if you choose i prefer that level for my music.you can tell when the amp is working at its limits it will start to distort (bass)as for getting more bass out of your current system and not damaging your 4x6 just set your bass level at about -2adjust your treble setting to you liking.then adjust your subs to the rest of your music.dont over do it.also what ohm rating are the subs 2,4,8and how are they wired series ,parallel?hope this helps

Return to “Nissan Audio / Entertainment / Security”