Stupid question on exhausts

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
ST240
Car: RB30DET s13
01' Pathy

Anyone know which exhaust produces the deepest tone at high rpms. I dont want a ****ing riced fart pipe :mad:

(yes thats the stupidest question ive ever seen too)

Thx-Andre

Daunttless

As I hear, 5Zigen, Blitz Nur Spec, and Apexi N1 and GT Spec all provide very robust tones. I haven't heard anything on Greddy or HKS yet, but I'll let you know when I find out. : )

trpower7

I think the OBX "bomb" style mufflers do a great job, they are basically the same thing as the 5Zigen, just alot cheaper. They are all stainless steel so rus really isn't an issue, I put one on my car awhile back and it hasn't sounded honda like at all. You sould like a weed-eater if you have less than 2 liters, no matter what. If I were you I'd go get 3 inch piping all the way to an OBX B3, it will run you under $200, sound nice, perform well, and be ready to roll when you go turbo.

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

HKS Dragger, GReddy Power Extreme are the lowest sounding exhausts I know of ... especially on turbocharged vehicles. My friend has the GReddy Exhaust on his 1.8L Civic and it is very similar in tone to my 2.4L. As for the HKS my other friend from school had the Dragger system on his 97 VR4 and it sounded better than any other exhaust i've ever heard.

ST240
01' Pathy

Some guy i know has an N1 on his civic and it doesnt sound very good at all but yeah i guess if makes a difference if yer running an SR20DET compared to D15 1.5 litre :p

Does the fact that the car has a turbo affect exhaust tone at all?

-Andre

trpower7

A turbo makes your exhaust much much more quiet. It's sitting striaght in the exhaust stream. An turbo car will also benefit more from an open exhaust. With turbo systems I have had great results straight piping them. They sound GREAT under boost, and are relatively quiet when not. Even under boost they aren't obscenely loud. Straight piping my supra (no resonator or muffler) made worlds of difference on turbo lag, etc.

ST240
01' Pathy

No muffler? god that must be loud

trpower7

No, it isn't read my post. A TURBO IS A HUGE THING SITTING IN THE EXHAUST STREAM. It is way more restrictive than a muffler and quiets a car down a good bit. A NA car with a straight through exhaust to a bomb style muffler will be louder than a straight piped turbo. Think.

ST240
01' Pathy

SETTLE DOWN. I WAS JUST MAKING A COMMENT. NO NEED TO GET YOUR PANTIES IN A KNOT. THANKS FOR THE POSTS.

-Andre

SrSLeePeR

It's true....if you have turbo..no matter what exhaust you have, itll be much more quiet than a car without turbo....Im trying to decide for an exhaust myself...Either a BlitZ Nurspec, APEXi N1 or GReddy...I'm still not too sure...

Ace
Car: S14

I am also torn between a Greddy Power extreme and Blitz Nur Spec. Does anyone have a Nur Spec and how does it sound:help

SrSLeePeR

Blitz Nurspec is loud....Really loud..

95_240sx
Car: My baby (car)

I have an Apexi N1 full catback, and it is louder than hell. Its bad in neighborhoods, but not very loud on the freeway. I finally had to buy the silencer from Enjuku Racing and stick it in there, but now it makes a pithy air puffy noise (watch out, big technical term there). Just my 2 cents....

Rick

Dumondti

i have the n1 dual exhaust. i was loud as hell with the ka motor but now that the sr is in there with the turbo it sounds better but still loud. it also looks great from the back end better than the n1 exhaust i think

ST240
01' Pathy

well ****, i dont want louder than hell :p

I just want something with a deep tone with good flow, or no tone at all. I hate loud exhausts

Daunttless

A higher flowing exhaust will pretty much always be louder on a N/A car, if you want a silencer that doesn't hinder performance, get a turbo. : )

usuck

does any one have comments on the sound of the Nismo exhaust?

redrocket
Car: 1987 200sx SE, 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic Crew Cab, and 1999 Kawasaki ZX9R

I have a custom exhaust with a flowmaster and it is not that loud has a good rumble at idle and when you are on it it sounds really good no brassy sound to it at all

Robbie

fliprayzin240sx
Car: 97 240sx w/S13 SR20--RIP
93 S14 Silvia w/ S15 Spec R SR20--RIP
95 240sx kouki convert RB25det

SrSLeePeR wrote:Blitz Nurspec is loud....Really loud..
I have the blitz nurspec cat back on my S14. It is loud but i like it. It could get too loud if you like punching it alot. If thats the case just stick the silencer on it and it'll be quieter. But personally i like the nice deep tone without the silencer. This exhaust dont sound like a lawn mower thats for sure.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

trpower7 wrote:No, it isn't read my post. A TURBO IS A HUGE THING SITTING IN THE EXHAUST STREAM. It is way more restrictive than a muffler and quiets a car down a good bit. A NA car with a straight through exhaust to a bomb style muffler will be louder than a straight piped turbo. Think.
I would not make such a general statement like this. I had my 80mm Greddy SP before I turbo'd. Fairly loud. Now I'm turbo'd and am running a straight pipe and it's a little louder. It really depends on a lot of things. Larger turbos tend to allow more sound to pass through. And it will also make a difference when and how much the wastegate opens.

ennui
Car: Cars, computers & snowboarding

C-Kwik wrote:
I would not make such a general statement like this. I had my 80mm Greddy SP before I turbo'd. Fairly loud. Now I'm turbo'd and am running a straight pipe and it's a little louder. It really depends on a lot of things. Larger turbos tend to allow more sound to pass through. And it will also make a difference when and how much the wastegate opens.
I agree C-Kwik. A muffler is specifically designed for the purpose of using negative interference to cancel out sound. A turbo has such anti-noise properties; but they are incidental and not part of it's design, so it does not do as good of a job. A turbo also adds more metal to the exhaust which means more sound is absorbed by the mass of the tubing itself.

Regardless, I don't think trpower7 meant to say a turbo is quieter than a muffler -- only that you can get by without an exhaust on a turbo'd car.

On a related (and more humorous) story told to me by my father whilst drinking my first legal beers in a Candian bar: My dad and his friend discovered that they could make the friend's brother's truck backfire by turning the car off and the turning it back on again immediately. After a couple of times doing this, the car backfired a bit louder than usual. The end result of this was a muffler flying across the yard and into a small pond. The moral of the story? Uhhh . . . if your car backfires, don't put a $600 brand name exhaust on it. :D

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

I didn't mean that trpower7 was necessarily wrong, but there are too many variations from one set-up to another to state that as fact. Though, in most cases he is porobably right. And noone who has ever heard a turbo car with an open exhaust will ever claim a turbo will quiet a car more than a muffler.

Flying mufflers? Reminds me of the flying pig on the Simpsons. "It's only water, it's still goo, it's still good!" LOL. A buddy of mine did once lose his muffler from his 79 Camaro. He was driving up his street and ran a muffler over and thought to himself..."Poor sap" and when he got home, he realized it was his! :eek:

Megaseth
Car: 2002 Pathfinder SE

What about the HKS R-2 on Enjuku, any good for a N/A KA? i also dont want a really loud muffler since and i really like the dual tip look. Or the HKS SP, any info on that one. Thanks

nametakennow
Car: '06 MINI Cooper S

redrocket wrote:I have a custom exhaust with a flowmaster and it is not that loud has a good rumble at idle and when you are on it it sounds really good no brassy sound to it at all

Robbie
Where and for how much?

Zebrahead
Car: cars, basketball, girls, fishing

Megaseth wrote:What about the HKS R-2 on Enjuku, any good for a N/A KA? i also dont want a really loud muffler since and i really like the dual tip look. Or the HKS SP, any info on that one. Thanks
If you're looking for high-flow yet quiet, the HKS r-2 sport would be the best option. Its barely louder than stock (just deeped), and has the stock look of two pipes. I've seen and heard it. I have the HKS Hiper, and its pretty loud. Deep, but loud.

Nick.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”