stupid clutch

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
MainEvent212

anyone besides me hate the hydraulic clutch and the 3 ft pedal stroke?

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

maine:Did u post to the right forum?

Fred..:D

Super Dave

don't scare me now............i ordered the 6 speed

PalmerWMD

Dave:Dont worry:

I am sure he posted in wrong forum as he is a well known and active member in the 240SX section of this club and that's just one click right next to this forum.

Fred...:)

Super Dave

wanna tell me how to put a little icon under my name......i'd like to move the spam guy over or something.

PalmerWMD

go to user cpgoto edit profilegoto "avatar" on bottomsave

Aries
Car: LT1 240SS

the G35 clutch has nice travel, and a 3.75" engage point.

MainEvent212

lmao, no it's supposed to be here

my dad is the new owner of a black on black g35 sc..it's gorgeous and fast as hell but the clutch is a lil tricky, that's all...i wish i could make it shorter to the floor, cuz i'm used to that. it's a lil notchy, but takes time to adjust to...it's awesome, dont worry about it dave!

dookiebob
Car: Snowboarding, Ron Jeremy flicks

You can easily adjust the clutch of a G35 sport coupe. I've done it twice on my cousin's black on black G.

I've done it to my WRX as well, as it came from the factory with overly high clutch travel and engagement.

If you look underneath the footwell, you'll see that the clutch is attached to a metal fork, held in place with a rod with a hole drilled in it and a cotter pin (looks like a bobby pin). Take out the pin with a set of pliers, then remove the rod.

This is the hardest part: you need to get the metal fork out of the confines of the clutch pedal. The method that worked best for me is to pull up on the clutch pedal while simultaneously pushing down on the clutch fork, then moving the fork to the side of the clutch pedal. This is the most aggrevating and time consuming part of the whole process. Don't be surprised if this part makes you curse and spew expletives about the engineers that designed this part.

After that part is done (:oface whew), use a 10mm wrench to loosen the nut behind the fork.

To adjust engagement and travel:

turn fork CLOCKWISE ---> for lower engagement and shorter travelturn fork COUNTERCLOCKWISE--> for higher engagement and longer travel

I had to adjust a total of 4 whole clockwise turns for my cousin's car. (I suggest trying 2 clockwise turns, then seeing how the car feels. If you want it lower, just repeat the process.)

After you adjust the metal fork, it's time to put everything back together. Tighten the nut behind the fork, then shimmy the fork back into place around the clutch pedal. Re-install the rod and the cotter pin, and take it for a spin.

When I took my cousin's car out for the first time, I felt like I was driving a truck with its looooong clutch travel. After the adjustments, it now feels like the proper sporting car that it is.

I hope this helped you guys out there. Feel free to ask me questions about it... and if you guys were REALLY helped out by this mod, you can paypal me a dollar at [email protected] :D I'm a poor student, so anything will help :pface

BTW: Like all other mods, YMMV. You do anything to your car at YOUR OWN RISK. I'm just trying to help a brotha' out:ylsuper

-Bob

dookiebob

A pic of my cousin's G35, after an exterior detail. The Honda Accord belongs to a friend (whose car I also detailed).

Photoshop watercolor filter

What a sweet ride...

-Bob

MainEvent212

looks just like my dad's but he opted w/ no body package...it looks smoother in our opinion...i'm tryin to convince him for new rims...i want those for my S14

PalmerWMD

Bob:AWESOME pics.Made the second one my wallpaper at work.

nlzmo400r
Car: cars

dookiebob wrote:A pic of my cousin's G35, after an exterior detail. The Honda Accord belongs to a friend (whose car I also detailed).

Photoshop watercolor filter

What a sweet ride...

-Bob
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Super Dave

can you tell me about how long it takes to make that clutch adjustment. I noticed that it did have a lot of travel and i'll probably want to take care of that on mine.

dookiebob

palmerwmd wrote:Bob:AWESOME pics.Made the second one my wallpaper at work.

Thanks for the compliment. They're imagestation files, so you can add .orig.jpg at the end of the file name and get the full size image (3 MP). I can't hyperlink full size images from imagestion directly, so just cut and paste this on your browser:

http://www.imagestation.com/pi...g.jpg

Full size, it's a little blurry (sorry :)). Here's a link to the entire album:

link

-Bob

dookiebob

Super Dave wrote:can you tell me about how long it takes to make that clutch adjustment. I noticed that it did have a lot of travel and i'll probably want to take care of that on mine.

It took me about 30 minutes the first time I did it, because I had to try and figure out how to get the metal fork out of way of the clutch pedal. The second time took me about 5 minutes. For comparision, it takes me about 2-3 minutes on my WRX.

Things to watch out for... don't drop the rod or the cotter pin in the fuse box area... you will NEVER find it. Be careful taking both out, and you should be fine. Also, you will have to take a few minutes to relearn your car after you do this mod, as it will feel like an entirely different (albeit much better) car.

-Bob

nlzmo400r

very nice album, you're quite the photographer ;), the G looks amazing, those wheels and brakes just set it off totally

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

Stupid question here, not really related.

How do you get a picture to show up? I know how to link a picture but not get it to show up like in a signature or a post.

Ryan

dookiebob

nlzmo400r wrote:very nice album, you're quite the photographer ;), the G looks amazing, those wheels and brakes just set it off totally

Thanks for the compliment :D

You're right about the G.. it is such a sweet car in person. It really makes heads turn wherever it goes.

-Bob

dookiebob

rydwhite wrote:Stupid question here, not really related.

How do you get a picture to show up? I know how to link a picture but not get it to show up like in a signature or a post.

Ryan

Use {img}xxx.xxx.xxx.jpg{/img} to show the pics, where xxx.xxx.xxx.jpg is your link. Make sure you replace the {} with brackets [] to make it work.

instead of {/img}

-Bob

Super Dave

check out my super dave emblem.........so freakin cool :D

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

Thanks Bob

Richatchase
Car: People's pursuit of making money.

nlzmo400r,

What product are you using for the detail? Thats a great shine. I'm getting ready to try Black Magic Wax and a spray detailer this weekend and was just wondering if anyone else out there has a product that they swear by.

Super Dave

i know my car detail.....i use to do it for cash. the products i use aren't available to the general public, but if you can get products made by MOC, P&S, or even Auto Majic you should stick with those. Probably the best wax you'll find at a store like Kragen would be Zymoll. It is a lot more expensive, but it's a better wax. You really do get what you pay for when it comes to care care products.......at least if you are paying for them at a retail store. The other products i mentioned are usually sold to car dealerships. You might find them selling them on the side in the parts department if you are lucky......or ask the parts guys if they can tell you what they use or can get a hold of some..........it's usually cheaper and better. Hope this helps.

dookiebob

Richatchase wrote:nlzmo400r,

What product are you using for the detail? Thats a great shine. I'm getting ready to try Black Magic Wax and a spray detailer this weekend and was just wondering if anyone else out there has a product that they swear by.

Actually, I detailed that car with my cousin.

We used:

Meguiar's Gold Class wash3M Swirl Mark Remover (applied by random orbital)Klasse All-In-One paint cleanerKlasse High Gloss Sealant GlazeS100 waxMother's Showtime quick detailer.

I personally feel that this is the best setup, as it gives a deep, liquid, reflective shine and about 6-12 months of protection for your paint (due to the Klasse twins).

You have to see the paint in person to appreciate how deep the shine is. It's like you're looking into a pool of water, or sometimes like looking into a mirror.

Here's an example of the same products/techniques on my WRX:

-Bob

PalmerWMD

Bob:

WOW!Is all I can say!

Can you give us a short step-by-step including time spent on each step?

Fred..:yesnod

Richatchase
Car: People's pursuit of making money.

Thats pretty impressive. I did a quick job using the Black Magic Shine detailer which is deinitely for a quick between waxing details and I got comments on it when I got to work this morning. It really looks good, but, really is just for between waxings. Thanks for the advice.

dookiebob

PalmerWMD wrote:Bob:

WOW!Is all I can say!

Can you give us a short step-by-step including time spent on each step?

Fred..:yesnod

Of course.

Meguiar's Gold Class wash--30 minutes, including dry timeClay Magic Clay bar--30 minutes to 1 hour3M Swirl Mark Remover (applied by random orbital)--1-2 hoursKlasse All-In-One paint cleaner--20 minutesKlasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze--20 minutesS100 wax--20 minutesMother's Showtime quick detailer-10 minutes

So basically, it will take a whole morning or afternoon to do a full detail. A small price to pay for perfect paint in my book :)

You can learn everything you need to know about detailing at http://www.autopia.org . That's how I ended up with this setup, after trying a million different products (yep, every one in Pep Boys/Autozone). You can find some of this stuff for sale at http://www.properautocare.com, which has some of the best customer service I've encountered over the internet.

A lot of people swear by Zaino (http://www.zainobros.com), but I have yet to try it. My setup is working so far, and when I run out of Klasse, I think I may try it.

One tip: when washing your car, wash one panel at a time. Run the claybar over the soapy, wet paint to get out the surface contaminants, then rinse the panel off. You can save over half an hour with this trick.

-Bob

dookiebob

BTW, the paint you see in both my cousin's G35 sc and my WRX have not undergone the full detail mentioned above in 3-4 months. Both of us just washed and waxed with S100, then we took the pictures. When you properly prep your paint with the full detail, then keep it in good condition by washing it regularly, you can have results similar to ours.

-Bob

nlzmo400r

dookiebob wrote:BTW, the paint you see in both my cousin's G35 sc and my WRX have not undergone the full detail mentioned above in 3-4 months. Both of us just washed and waxed with S100, then we took the pictures. When you properly prep your paint with the full detail, then keep it in good condition by washing it regularly, you can have results similar to ours.

-Bob
amazing detailing jobs, i have searched through hundreds of different routines of detailing, and i will now use what you're using, you've shown me the light, haha, and u say u do hte FULL detail every 6months or so?, i wash my car ATLEAST once a week (usually 2 or 3 times, damn rain!) and i put a two coat wax on her (two fingers at a time baby) using meguiars gold class, and i do that about once every two weeks or so, it never goes more than a month without waxing

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”