Stumbeling Issue 97 Q45

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
mrrsidr

Car has 156 K on it. It started Stumbling and occasionally having issues accelerating... I changed plugs, I put a new fuel filter on it, ( The one under car by back passenger tire) Ran fuel cleaner in the gas & Still haven't found the solution. So before I break down and take it in, I have a few Q.

1. Is there any more fuel filters in this car other than the one I changed out.
2. Where can I get a code Plug in Reader. Dash is showing no codes on the basic warning system.
3. If I get a code readers, is there a list of codes & there meaning posted somewhere.

Thanks
MMR

EdBwoy

mrrsidr wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:56 am
1. Is there any more fuel filters in this car other than the one I changed out.
2. Where can I get a code Plug in Reader. Dash is showing no codes on the basic warning system.
3. If I get a code readers, is there a list of codes & there meaning posted somewhere.
I was going to suggest making sure the plugs are correct NGK plugs, and that the oft-troublesome coilpacks are ok... but I think scanning for codes is a sound idea before throwing any more money into it.

1. Not certain, but I'd say yes.
2. You can go to Autozone/ O'Reillys and ask them to read them for you for free. You could also buy one there if you please
3. Yes. If you post the codes on google you might find generic answers, you might find historical posts on this forum with the same issues too; however, just post them here and we shall be able to tell you what they mean and the most common causes.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

As EdBwoy mentioned, coil pack failures are common on your series of Q. If you used something other than the recommended NGK platinum plug, I would think about redoing the plugs. These engines seem to really perform better with the correct plug.

ZiprHead
Car: 1999 Infiniti Q45 base

I got a bluetooth code reader on eBay for about 8 bucks and got Torque Pro, an app that connects to the reader from the app store for 6, iirc.

Not only does the app read codes and can reference what they mean, it can read many other aspects from the car like coolant temperature and throttle position. It also has an accelerometer and track day apps like 0 to 60 time, 0 to 100 time and 1/4 mile time.

It's pretty cool. Helped me figure out my coolant temp was a little low and I needed a new thermostat when I originally thought there was a problem with the heater control system.

98_Q45

From someone who’s fixed the code: “multiple misfires” (check engine light blinked under any sort of asking for acceleration) when I first bought it, I can suggest:

I had changed “some” of my spark plugs but also the spark boots. 3 of them were saturated in oil.

Funny part is, I couldn’t change the valve cover gaskets until another couple thousand miles later when I had the time. When I was doing the gaskets, no oil was found in the spark plug wells. I think due to the car sitting (for months in Arizona heat) caused the seals to temporarily dry out, allowing oil to seep thru when it finally got driven.

I also changed my fuel filter and every other filter. However, those were done after the above things. I’m a bit annoyed that changing the fuel filter (beck arnley) didn’t give a huge boost in gas mileage. But, I’m sure it’s benefitted from it regardless

Btw, I used Bosch platinum no gapping needed plugs. NGK and Denso are good, but it doesn’t make a difference long as it’s exact fit.

mrrsidr

Thanks a lot for your help ! Yes I had read about the NGK Plugs on here and that's what I used. Thankfully the last set had antiseize on them so they came out good and I did that again this time. I think I'll head over to Auto Zone & see if they can give me some ideas. Will keep you updated as this proceeds. Thanks again !

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

98_Q45 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 5:45 pm

Btw, I used Bosch platinum no gapping needed plugs. NGK and Denso are good, but it doesn’t make a difference long as it’s exact fit.
I'm glad the Bosch plugs worked ok for you, but that hasn't been the case for everyone in years past. It's simply not worth the pennies saved, or doubt when something doesn't "feel quite right" wondering if you should spend another 1-3 hours changing out plugs that you've already replaced to find out.

mrrsidr

Took the car to Auto Zone to get the codes read. Only code that came up was a detonation or something like that on Bank 2. It then said the issue was resolved. I told the AZ guy what I had done already & he thought I may have cleared the code by putting new plugs in..... So he suggested I clean the MAF sensor with some spray & change the Air Filter.. So I went home and did that & Thought in my brief test drive I had improved it.... Wifes Car, She drove about 30 miles and said no improvement. So I'm sorta stumped. Any suggestions ? Will a bad coil pack show up in the codes or do you need to test each coil ? Bank 2 ---what does that mean ( # 2 Plug ?) Thanks. I sorta feel it gets worse the longer you run it.

98_Q45

As said in the Titanic movie: Women and machinaery don’t mix.

I’m not an expert: but I have proven results, driving a 98 q45 and 97 Maxima on long haul cross country trips...all the issues with performance and weird stuff disappears.

My car a couple of times, shut off in the middle of driving when I first got it. Very dangerous. Since I drove it from Phoenix to Florida, I’ve not had that issue since. Something about long road trips just fixes everything (unless something fails, in which case you’ve weeded out the weakest link: usually a tire, compressor, belt, water pump or alternator).

As for bank 2, I might have had something like that as well. But my air intake hose was missing the little plastic piece and had the wire that goes to the intake hose was half ripped.. My car was so f*** up when I got it. Thank Gawd for salvage yards and a little knowledge, the guy who sold it to me would have probably gotten sued by anyone else lol.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”