Struts cost

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
CT_Owner
Car: 2014 Quest SV

All,

2014 SV Quest owner, only 63k miles. Bought it used in Oct 2017 and no real problems this far. I brought to dealer last month and said I needed new front struts for $650. I went to indy shop and he said I needed new struts with bushings, mount etc. for 1200. Pretty floored at quotes. I have trip with my kids and don't want any driving hazards. Car does not bounce horribly. What a real price/work here? I live in CT so expensive area. Thanks.

far raf
Car: 2005 Nissan Quest SE (standard? simple? edition - i.e. nothing special)

I call BS. Are you feeling dangerously bouncy when driving?
My 2005 quest is fine on the original struts at 120k miles, so yours should have lots of miles ahead of it before you'd need struts replaced.
If you feel some knocking and squeaking, that is likely sway bar links which are dime a dozen, and even those should last way longer (can be a DIY job).
Get a 2nd opinion before you dump $$ into repairs.

CT_Owner

Hi,

Thanks. I really don't feel it is overly bouncy, except when big dip in road but that is normal Not on highway at all. No leaking that I see. I had two opinions but I also told Indy shop about strut issue that dealer mentioned. He said no way at first like you that should go to 100k..then said yes after looking and quoted $1200. He claimed Nissan are poorly made. Third opinion?

far raf

Well, you have 3 now :) What exactly did they quote? I did strut jobs before. They are pretty easy unless the compressors are too beat up. Refuse beat up compressors if you end up renting them. Agree to only rent ones which look like new.

In Ontario, Canada, the safety certificate requires that the car not bounce more than 2ce when certified for sale. Push down on each corner with both hands and all your weight and release. If it does not bounce more than 2ce, it is safe to drive.
If you end up needing struts and strut mounts, KYB sells them for less than a dealer. You need a spring compressor, they can be rented. Shop around.
Courtecy Nissan and other online retailers sell OEM parts at discounted prices. Rock Auto has generic parts. Stay away from Monroe and no-name brands. Stick with KYP if you can. HTH.

far raf

Just found that Rock Auto now sells KYB quick struts for at least my 2005 Quest. See if they are available for yours. If they are, then it is a simple 2 hour job to replace, plus alignment.

CT_Owner

Can anyone help with locating complete front struts for 2014 Quest SV? Can't find after market, KYB etc. I found Senzen brand on Amazon at $100 each. Dealer wants 250 each for Nissan brand.

CT_Owner

CT_Owner wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:15 pm
Can anyone help with locating complete front struts for 2014 Quest SV? Can't find after market, KYB etc. I found Senzen brand on Amazon at $100 each. Dealer wants 250 each for Nissan brand.
I went to Rock Auto and they show Value Advantage part E4C021JA0JNW as correct front right strut. Is that right for 2014 Quest? It is 119 so good price if it fits but can't find much about this product. Thanks for any help

Return to “Quest Forum”