Strut Tower Bar Problems

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
Paulbregonzio
Car: 93 Nissan 300ZX

Hey guys..i just installed a strut bar in my z32 today...i had to move the fuel lines and thottle cable...after everything was installed the freaking hood wont close. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this??? i really dont want to undo all the work, and i know it is def installed right.

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

....What brand did you buy that you had to relocate your fuel lines and now the hood won't close?

Z-owned
Car: 93 N/A Z32
90 VW Corrado
01 mr2 spyder

Sounds like you bought a ebay front bar. They are notorious for hitting the hood. Some can get by with removing the liner well others have had to actually notch the underside to get them to fit. Hardly worth it imo talking to Charles Park (Owner of powertrix) the front doesn't really give any gains and can actually cause negative effects. On top of that they have been known to cause fuel leaks as they rub the fuel hoses.

Paulbregonzio
Car: 93 Nissan 300ZX

yea..it is an ebay bar, and i did notch the hood and remove the liner and it still hits...looks like i got some scrap aluminum now. So do you think i should buy another one(better quality) or just forget it

car nut
Car: GT500.

Z-owned wrote:Hardly worth it imo talking to Charles Park (Owner of powertrix) the front doesn't really give any gains and can actually cause negative effects. On top of that they have been known to cause fuel leaks as they rub the fuel hoses.
I think that should answer your question.

Z-owned
Car: 93 N/A Z32
90 VW Corrado
01 mr2 spyder

Unless you want it purely for looks I would not do one. If looks is what your wanting it for get a powertrix front or carbing front strut bar. Or you could cut the mounting brackets and re drill them down lower to lower the bar.

leerandallstewart
Car: 1993 300ZX, 1987 300ZX, 1988 300ZX Turbo

In fairness, I installed a strut bar last week and noticed some very beneficial gains. The car was lowered by the previous owner, and there were serious camber issues. Installing the strut bar did not cure the camber issues, but it did push the towers back into their proper alignment. I know this because the hood and fenders now line up more precisely. After we install the adjustable upper control arms, camber will be solved, and the car's steering is stiffer - I can feel it.

I bought mine on ebay from a guy who deals in used 300zx parts. I do not know if it was a cheapo or a good quality part - but I can say that it has helped my car out.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”