Strut Removal 95 Max

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
helix031

how ? ...

that is all

Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

helix031 wrote:how ? ...

Easy!Lets start with assuming the car is already safely up on jack stands and the wheels are off the vehicle.You'll need at least one special tool for this job. A spring compressor. If you don't already have this you can borrow one from Autozone for free or a similar auto parts store.Now lets start with the front.-Open hood and remove the 3 bolts mouting the strut and spring to the strut tower. CAUTION: DO NOT remove the center bolt holding the spring on to the strut.-There may be some brake lines attached to the strut so detach those and move out of the way.-(can't remember for certain) but there should be two more larger bolts attaching the bottom of the strut to the rest of the suspension. Remove these and you can pull out the strut/spring assembly.-Compress spring with spring compressor BE CAREFULL there's a lot of force behind that spring, remember it holds the weight of your car!!!-ONce the spring is sufficiently compressed the top mount of the strut should be lose. You can then remove the mount nut and remove the spring from the strut.-then replace strut or spring whatever you may be doing. follow directions in reverse for reinstallation. Be carefull to properly reinstall the spring right side up and have it sitting properly while uncompressing the spring. -I can not emphasize the necessity for SAFETY any more. There is enough force in that compressed spring to potentially cleanly remove your head from your shoulders. Woohoo!

The rear:-Is potentially the same but simpler. There are no brake lines in the way and there is only one bolt on the bottom of the shock.-Open trunk and remove trunk lining to access the rear strut towers and the fuel tank area. Then follow the similar steps as the front.

Have fun

Jeff Williams
Car: 1994 Q45t, 2000 I30t, 2004 M45, 71, 72, 73, 82 & 2000 Corvettes

Very easy job. Much easier than Honda.

If you have an air compressor, the spring compression goes much faster.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”