strong lug nuts?

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
PmpKinKing
Car: 90 240sx

Hey guys Looking for some strong lug nuts but not sure which ones would hold up good my friend had some lug nuts that broke off on him so it made me think twice on picking my lug nuts. I was looking at the nrg extended lug nuts but not sure any one know of any strong lug nuts that won't break? :)

ashibah83
Car: 93 SUPA BLACK COUPE

a lug nut is basically a lug nut, they typically dont "break", in most cases, the stud becomes fatigued or stretches then it breaks as the lug is tightened or loosened, but in some cases the stud is either tightened FAR too much or left loose allowing the wheel to beat itself onto the seat of the lugnut causing additional fatigue, if your that concerned get hardened studs like the extended Nismo units, and decent nuts, that will fit your wheel

p.s. if your worried about strength then look away from aluminum
Last edited by ashibah83 on Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

badbob2121
Car: 92 S13 Hatch ELLIS JUAN, 12 Mustang GT RTR

i always buy gorilla, but what brand did your friend buy? ive never known anyone that had lug nuts break off...

PmpKinKing

Not sure i think it was blocks or block or something? not sure but it broke off. It was weird because 2 broke in the front right and 1 in the back driver side. Gorilla never heard of them I will check them out any others you recommend? Also does the lug nut get warped when you drive it a lot because that what my friend think might have happened.

badbob2121
Car: 92 S13 Hatch ELLIS JUAN, 12 Mustang GT RTR

are you sure that his stud didnt just break?

OutToWinPAHC
Car: 2015 Silverado, R33 GTST, R32 GTR, RB20 E46 RHD, 2015 Harley Vrod Muscle, 1990 Nissan Patrol

I used rays duralugs, but as long as its a quality brand of quality metal and PROPERLY TORQUED your okay.

PmpKinKing

Well he showed me the lug nut and it was like broken from the top side where it screws in and the other ones he couldn't find

DanThaMan
Car: 1993 240sx

did he maybe use an impact gun?

PmpKinKing

That im not to sure on I will ask him later on today. Have any of you guys heard of anything or anyone going to through this before?

Nesquick
Car: Rb26 Kouki Silvia

iv worked in a tire shop for the past 2 years... iv never heard of or seen a lug nut "break". only the studs breaking.

as said before, over/under torquing is the only way that can weaken a lugnut. (also heating with a torch, but who does that?)
any lugnut will be fine. remember to torque properly!!!

cars- 100 ft/lbs (some imports like nissan/honda/toyota etc. are 80 ft/lbs, but 100 is perfectly fine)
minivans/SUVs - 120 ft/lbs
trucks (depending on size and bolt pattern) - 120-160 ft/lbs
semi trucks/trailers - 500 ft/lbs.

PmpKinKing

Hey guys just talked to my friend and he said that he doesn't think he tighten them to much or anything. He says he really doesn't know what happened I asked him what kind they were and he said the were aluminum lug nuts he said it might also have to do with the HP he has because some lug nuts aren't strong enough for high HP cars. Can anyone confirm this? :facepalm:

Rex
Car: None

I have had the thread part of a lug nut stay on the threaded section of the stud before. The stud wasn't damaged, but the lug was basically useless at that point.

They were "cheap" lugs put on the car by the previous owner and when I swapped over to my gorilla spline lugs everything was okay, and has been for ~40k.

Just like with any other car part, there's someone out there that makes a cheaper version and it doesn't last as long/perform as well.

ScrapnSidwayz
Car: My damn S13 is a fuggin money pithole

I also run gorilla lugs and they work very good and are pretty cheap.

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”