stroker .VS. turbo????

For discussion of front-drive SR20DE, SR20VE and SR20DET engines!
835's200sx
Car: Nissan 200sx se

I am going to start my build in January and I can't decide whether to go with the stroker kit or a simple turbo set up.? I have a 95 200sx with ga16 and I plan on doing a swap with the sr20de. BTW i am also looking for the vlsd tranny. Anyways, I need to know if anyone has had success with a stroker kit set up or should I just go for the turbo. I had a turbonettics in mind because they are right up the street from me so that part would be hassle free for me. Plus my motor that I am rebuilding is OBD1 and I need to make it OBD 2. I have a harness from a 98 G20. Will this work if i get the right ECU? will it match to the dash or do I need to get another harness. Also I want to cam it. any suggestions? JWT right? sprigns? retainers?? what..tell me. I want to do this right the first time. I am a pretty good mechanic along with my buddy so help me out fellas.

karmakaze
Car: 98 240sx SE

i think your in the wrong forum. your FWD. this is RWD, i am sure a mod will move you over there though.

however, to sort of answer your question, they are not mutually exclusive. it all depends on if you want to go turbo or not. without a turbo, its still not going to do a whole lot for you.

it would be cheaper and give you more power to just swap in a FWD ka24de than go with a stoker kit.

jblackwell
Car: Several

FWIW, go with the turbo. Stroker kits are way too much money for far too small of gain.

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

Moved

nametakennow
Car: '06 MINI Cooper S

With the '98 harness you should be fine.

You could do both, really. I've thought of this myself. Use JWT's kit to increase the displacement, throw on a decent size turbo, and you'll have quite a bit of power. That'll be expensive though.

IMO, the turbo is the better option of the two. It's easier to do and will give you more power per dollar, at least initially.

JWT is going to be your best option for cams. I'd go ahead and get their springs and retainers too since you're going for a pretty big buildup here.

Return to “SR20DE / SR20VE / SR20DET Forum (front drive)”