Stressful times with my M45 - No Spark

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
MuvaFuga
Car: 2007 Nissan Fuga 450GT M45

thanks for opening my thread

(skip to the bottom if you rather get to the (KEY POINTS)

as you can see by the title of this thread #STRESSFUL TIMES WITH MY M45 - NO SPARK.
Thats exactly how life has been treating me.
let me take you back to where my m45 and my pride got slowly got burried in time.
what i have is a 2007 m45 123xxxkm - yes "kilometer" luxury sports sedan py50. which i purchased at 422550 kms from a dealership.
there i am, on my daily route to work as per normal you know, it was the same for route every day for the past 3 years feeling good window down breeze through my hair having a sing along to myself
when all of a sudden, my car starts surging. i went into panic mode. thinking to myself thats not normal . i check the cluster realize i have 3 1/4 of a tank of 95 octane theres no way i cant be out of fuel, surges again and at this point, im getting really nervous. im steadying at the speed limit going through the little town up from where i stay not 10 minutes away where it decided to quit on me.
i had no clue what to do other than pull over. i do so gently, coasting in fear, off to the side of the road in neutral. clutsters still as it displayed above no signts to panic about. so i cut the ignition off. give it a moment and i try to start the m45 up again. cranking and cranking no signs of wanting to fire off i give up.

im not a car know it all right.. tbh i know very little. other than the basic 5k km service on the engine / transmission fuel filter air filter plugs and leads. and once i had someone regassed the a.c and had him installed a new unit and thats about all i can think of.

soo there i am just sitting on the side of the road phone ready to call my insurance for road side assistance coz clearly somethings wrong and i needed help. couldnt tell the lady taking my call what was wrong because i honestly didnt know
an hour passes. old bloke turns up we have a yarn. i try to explain what happened the best i could.
within moments hes cranking the starter, nothing. pulls out a few of his fancy gizmos and gadgets from his ute and pop goes the bonnet of my car.
no clue what he was looking at and i wish i could tell you all this part of information but sadly this part is beyond my knowledge. i just let the man do his thing.

we start having a yarn and to his findings , he had nothing to share other then he doesnt know and weather i let him tow the car back to the shop and have the crew take a look and see what he was missing or i could deal with it my way, so of course i rang insurance, all that good stuff and everything was arranged and my car with off to the shop and with a little hope it was going to get fixed by the "professionals"

weeks after weeks phone call after phone call update after update and its still not fixed and im almost ready to give up on the deal its making me that stressed and sad it sucks.

( KEY POINTS BELOW)

-NO SPARK!-

what has happened?

#1: strange surging and loss of power which caused the car to stall
#2: body harness checked and inspected
#3: old sensors removed and replaced with new oem sensors. sensors include
bank 1 bank 2 phase 1 phase 2 and crank sensor
#4: old coil packs had different readings so i decided to have them replaced with new ones.
#5: error codes for cps tps or crank angle sensors remained since installing new ones.
#6: battery is a healthy 14v bloke seemed happy with that . if anyone can relate weather thats a good thing fill me in coz that seems to be all hes happy about so far.
#7: 160psi-lowest 164 highest compression reading cross 8
#8: issue with both sets new and old coils getting no spark.
#9: so far this is all i have until the next call from the mechanic

if anyone else has any other information that could help with my stressful situation please leave a message below.

thank you
MuvaFuga

Costee
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
2012 Nissan Murano SL

It would have been helpful if we knew the error codes they pulled at the workshop before changing parts, and by this, I mean other modules apart from the ECM. No spark. It's really difficult to guess, but it could be there's an issue with the ECM or the IPDM. Regarding #5, I'd be interested to know whether the new parts were oem and their part numbers.

EdBwoy

MuvaFuga wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:50 pm
#3: old sensors removed and replaced with new oem sensors. sensors include
bank 1 bank 2 phase 1 phase 2 and crank sensor
#5: error codes for cps tps or crank angle sensors remained since installing new ones.
I am also interested in more info from #5 as well as #3 above.
Typically, when M45s die with no clear culprit, we have found that it is usually an issue with the camshaft sensor or sometimes the crankshaft sensor. The cam sensor is more common though.

In the same accord, we have learned that it is very hit-and-miss when it comes to aftermarket sensors. It helps to get the right factory part (part # 23731-4M50D is the latest update) from the get-go if you are going to spend any effort on the sensors.

MuvaFuga

ive taken my m45 to another company. they ran a diagnostic and found a issue. the code they pulled was p00335. crank angle sensor circut "A" malfunction. after further inspection they also verified that the cam sensor wires under the rocket cover had no power running going to them aswell. they are under the impression that theres a short or a dead wire somewhere along the body harness into or potentially the electrical control module. what im thinking is i hope they are right and maybe a wiring harness and ecm might fix the issue???? and if so is this an expensive fix??

so far parts replaced have been the two sensors at the top of the motor under the rocker cover.PN # 23731-AL616 i know the kind bloke who replied above this had similar part # except different endings?? 23731-4M50D. these were purchased from nissan at $110 NZD each sensor.

also i would like to note that in the engine electrical computer had a burnt fuel pump relay and the module the fuse goes into was a little on the cooked side aswell. but the fuel pump itself tests good.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If the failure was sensor power you'd have a no-start, the CKP on your ride is powered through the ECM Relay. It would be very unusual for the cam sensors (the ones on top) to cause that code, that sometimes happens on QR adn MR engines but rarely on VK's. Wiring problems on VK crank sensors are common because the leg of the harness generally runs down the side of the tranny and is fairly exposed. The push-lock connectors used until '08 or so aren't the most durable either, so connector issues are common as well.

MuvaFuga

new update the car was able to run for a few moments and now not at all.
it managed to reach a optimal steady temperature half way on the gauge but it has its own mind when it comes to idle.
before it used to sit around 850rpm once it got to temperature but for some reason it seems to be bouncing the rev counter from 1000-1150 at random intervals,
the work shop has tried the throttle relearn procedure tap 5 times after 3 seconds release for 7 hold for 10-20 for mil to show and go and off ignition to save.
still does the same after restarting, still giving p00335 code.
also on startup after the throttle relearn procedure it had a hickup when cranking which sounding horrible guy said could be either advanced , retarded or timings out, but it checks out.. the marks are on point and the coils are find.
the 2nd crank it cranked like normal but rpms were still bouncing around 1000rpm and occasionally going to 1150rpms after 5 seconds each time.
also when the wheel is turned the rpms go up to 1500rpm...

when i put it in drive it broke traction on the gravel carpark and felt like it wanted to skid... whilst driving around the shop i did notice when down shifting it doesnt blip throttle like it used to. it like hesitates to downshift... and at low speeds when im about to come to a stop i apply brake pressure and it accelerates on its own. very scary

engine light vdc off and slip lights showing

could it be the ecc that has an issue where the fuel pump relay was burnt and the insert itself was cooked?

could it be a malfunctioned crank angle sensor,
could it be the dodgy wiring from the sensors to the ecm
could it be a timing?
could it be a transmission fault?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The CKP must be getting some sort of signal if it was running, but a bouncy tacho indicates the signal wasn't consistent. On the older models the tach signal generally comes straight from the CKP, so that's usually a "tell" for a malfunctioning one. CKP's are also often susceptible to crapping out with temperature changes, so I'd say it looks very much like you have a bad one.

MuvaFuga

ckp uses the same sensors for both crank and cam sensors?

MuvaFuga

after doing some digging on infiniti site i realize that infiniti does not ship out of the united states and im struggling to find a oem sensor that matches the numbers above 23731-4M50D

the only ones i can find is PN # 23731-AL616 im worried if i buy these sensors it wont fix anything what do i do

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The 4M50D superseded a whole bunch of other numbers. Try searching for one of these, any one of them will work in your application:
23731-4M500
23731-4M505
23731-5M006
23731-4M50B
23731-5M000
23731-5M001
23731-5M005
23731-4M506

Costee
2012 Nissan Murano SL

It appears your vehicle is of the Japan market. 23731-AL616 is used by the Y50 with VQ25/35 engines. I find no returns on 23731-4M50D for the M45. If you're able to post your VIN, I could run out the relevant part number for your car.
Last edited by Costee on Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Costee
2012 Nissan Murano SL

Vstar's is on target. I found 23731-4M506 used for your VK45 for model years 2005 to December 2006.

Costee
2012 Nissan Murano SL

I've checked again. The best bet is 23731-4M50B.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”