Strange Rattle Noise Heard Occasionally When Accelerating??

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
mateen110
Car: Nissan Pathfinder

Hi all

On my 2002 Infiniti QX4 (140k) im beginning to hear this loud rattle noise coming from the front of the vehicle (near the engine) only when I accelerate. The noise doesn't occur all the times, but probably most of the times I accelerate.

The best way I can describe it is like a loose screw is rattling around somewhere. The noise is most similar to throwing ice in a blender and hearing it rattle around in there. Checked all fluids including oil but all seems fine.

I attached two audio clips below of the sound, not sure if you're able to make much out of it. I went to my local mechanic shop and they couldn't find anything. My guess is its one of the heat shields but not sure. Just seeing if anyone has experience with the noise before I go to the dealer :(

https://soundcloud.com/mateen110/qx4-noise-1/s-9odpV (occurs about :03 in)

https://soundcloud.com/mateen110/qx4-noise-2/s-SiAOT (occurs about :07 in)

asnorton44
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

Like you said maybe heat shield or something; I get all sorts of rattling as well :crazy:

Leo1998
Car: 1998 Nissan Pathfinder

How about that thin metal shield around the brake rotors? If that's you on the other forum you should post the video of the sound as well. :gotme

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

Rattling heat shields is very common on these things. There's a thread or two on that subject from years' past.
My shields disappeared years ago....no more rattles.

The backing plate on the front brakes will give you a squealing noise more than a rattle.
Had that problem too. Easy fix.

anthonyerco
Car: ???

Buzzman wrote:
Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:23 pm
Rattling heat shields is very common on these things. There's a thread or two on that subject from years' past.
My shields disappeared years ago....no more rattles.

The backing plate on the front brakes will give you a squealing noise more than a rattle.
Had that problem too. Easy fix.
What was the fix? I have squealing when I’m traffic or drive thru but brakes are pretty new

rgk
Car: 02 Pathfinder LE 3.5 auto 4x4

Were pins and guides greased when brakes were replaced?

nithol
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4

Did you ever figure out what it was? I've got pretty much the same noise happening at 3.5k rpm

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”