strange problem on my 91 NX1600

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
Tassleholf
Car: 1991 NX1600

Ok so i was coming home from work and for no reason my wipers started going like a bat out of hell. So i slowed down and the wipers slowed down, revved up and they got faster also no tail lights , brake lights, turn signals or interior fan oh and instrument cluster went out. checked fuse panel when i got home and found a couple of blown fuses so i replaced them , look under hood and one of my wires that was connected to my battery was burnt up and had broke away , i replaced the wire and went to start the car and noticed the instrument cluster was smoking badly , ...... :crazy:

so anyone have any ideas ???? :poke:

Thanks

Noxy
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX
1992 NX2000
2004 Sentra Spec V

Huh. Well, that's unusual. Which wire burnt up (color, area, what it's connected to)? Also, which fuses did you blow and replace? Has there been any electrical work done on your car? The only time I heard of a cluster smoking was when they replaced the fuse for the cluster with a higher amperage fuse (20A instead of a 10A)...

Have you checked any of the underhood fuses and relays? I know that's a 'duh' thing, but always helps to state the obvious. Sounds to me like there might be a short in the combination switch circuit since it controls all, or at least routes through all of those circuits.

Let me know,
Noxy

Tassleholf

Which wire burnt up (color, area, what it's connected to)? = there are two white wires on my battery terminal one of which was burnt through.

which fuses did you blow and replace?
= tail lamp fuse . Stop lamp fuse . Room lamp fuse were blown.

Sounds to me like there might be a short in the combination switch circuit since it controls all, or at least routes through all of those circuits. = where is this located.

ok out of curiosity is the regulator built into the alternator or is it separate. ?

how would i check the relays .?

thanks for your help so far :biggrin:

Noxy
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX
1992 NX2000
2004 Sentra Spec V

Sorry for the wait. Lots of work the last couple days...

The two wires go from the battery to the fuse block next to the battery, but one of them splits and goes to the alternator before going to the fuse block under the dash. I've seen a few people have had this problem before, but different causes like buying a car from someone who did a hack wire job.

As far as testing relays go, it can get a bit tricky to explain, but this video sums it up decently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWmt6gorzUg

A multimeter might be good to have since you'll probably have to take voltage reading. Speaking of voltage the regulator is built into the alternator. It being faulty could cause a voltage spike and send to much power to the fuse block causing your fuses to blow and the cluster to overheat. Try taking some voltage readings on the fuse block where they blew, also on the wire that you repaired.

Tassleholf

Ok winter is over ....

problems still exists...
wipers will not turn off
no tail lights
no blinkers

new alternator fitted
fuses replaced with new

any more ideas guys ??

Tassleholf

UPDATE TIME......

Problem started with the wiper motor shorting out. who would have guessed....
which led to wires burning out .
Lights working now :rotfl
Blower working now :rotfl
Blinkers working :rotfl

wipers not turning off....... gotta be the switch ????

got me a new digital cluster and fitted it
shows blinkers working , high beam working
BUT does not show speed , temp or gas level :confused:

Tassleholf

ANOTHER UPDATE...

Got everything working now except

Wipers not cutting off ( still thinking switch )
charge light stays on . disconnect alternator and light goes out ( Bad Alternator ?????? )

Tassleholf

all fixed .
wiper switch was screwed up
alternator was screwed up.

bombay
Car: nissan silvia

Tassleholf wrote:
Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:32 am
ANOTHER UPDATE...

Got everything working now except

Wipers not cutting off ( still thinking switch )
charge light stays on . disconnect <a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" target="_blank" href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=alternator" rel="nofollow"><span>alternator</span></a> and light goes out ( Bad Alternator ?????? )

Hi, how did you fix the digital dash cluster?
323-559-2800

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”