Strange electrical thing

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
larsG35
Car: '04 G35 6MT sedan

Something kind of strange happened to me today. I was trying to figure out how to best to list it, so here it goes.

I was moving some stuff in the back of my garage and decided to use my G35's high beams to light up the work area. (Some other info: car was partially backed out of the garage -a partial incline with the back lower than the front- and turned off. Lights were on -fog and high beams set- and key out of ignition. Temperature was about -5 Fahrenheit)

Moved the boxes for about 5 minutes, got back into the car and took off the high beams, followed by turning the lights off. This is where it starts to get weird.
I noticed that the center console lights were still on and then looked up and noticed part of the garage was still lit.

Upon inspecting the situation: The interior lights were still illuminated (center console, clock, dash at reduced brightness), the driver side headlight had the parking light on, and the passenger side light had the high beams + standard + parking lights on... tail lights also on.

I attempted to start the car at this point, but the lights dimmed and the solenoid failed to engage (not one turn over). Then randomly the high beam + standard lights on the passenger side turned off. So center console, clock still on, headlights on parking lights, and tail lights still on. I toggled the light switch several times in every possible orientation to no effect. I leave it set to all lights off.

I attempt to start the car again, there is no crank, but if I hold it in the starting position, after about 5 seconds all the lights begin to dim until dark. Releasing the key returns all lights to normal brightness. At this point I'm wondering if the computer that controls the lights shorted and then drained the battery. I attempt ignition probably 3 or 4 more times. Same result. I get out and use the key fob to lock the car. Doors lock, but locking "honk" is barely audible (appearing like dead battery).

I check on it after 5 minutes, lights still on. After 10 minutes, lights are out. I press lock on the key fob and the honk is loud like normal. I unlock the car, get in, and start it. Starts up quickly just like normal. Lights act normally upon testing. I let the car run for 5 minutes. Turn it off and start it again. Everything normal. I have now driven it twice since - all normal.

So... is this just a fluke? :wtf2: Battery connections seem fine. Have not looked at fuses. I did some searching and nothing seems to describe this happening. I might attempt to leave the lights on like that again to see if it's reproducible.

Hopefully a one time thing,

Lars

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

How old is your battery?
If more than four years old replace it with a 700 CCA battery or higher if you can find one

At -5F your battery is very inefficient.

Pick up a battery hydrometer and check each cell
If anyone of them is not up to a full charge replace the battery

Telcoman

larsG35
Car: '04 G35 6MT sedan

I agree the most likely culprit is an old/weakening battery. The way that the symptoms presented with the glitched lights was just very strange to me. I suppose the computer controlling the lights could not function correctly under the reduced voltage? I have another car that I could use or get a jump from so I might attempt to reproduce it.

I'll get around to checking the cells to confirm.

wrightdog26
Car: 2004 Infiniti G35 sedan

Was it the battery?

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”